UPLAND E-COLLARS which one ?

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Im looking at the tritronics G-3 or the D-T upland collars i need the beepers , i have the sport dog 1850 & its broke again thanks ward

bossman

Re: UPLAND E-COLLARS wich one ?

Post by bossman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:38 pm

This may not be of much help. I like to train with a TT Pro 100. But hate the TT beepers. I will usually hunt with a Dogtra 2502 T & B or a DT 2432 collar & beeper. The DT has the best beeper function of all (imo). It's drawback is the small stimulations buttons on the face of the transmitter. The Dogtra beeper is smaller and faces toward the ground, so its not as easy to hear (atleast for me) as the DT, but I like the Stim. control buttons better. If the beeper fuction is important to you, TT would be my last choice. Good luck

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:23 pm

the only thing i am not shure about on the DT systems they have the antenna woven into the collar ,Innotec tried it & failed miserlby

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:14 pm

I have not experienced any issues with the DT Collar other than the size of the buttons on the face of the transmitter. The beeper is excellent. The jump/rise feature is nice (comes in handy if the dog gets on a deer,etc..). Beeper has severeal modes that are controlled by the hand held trsansmitter and has a deep tone that is easy to hear.

Sterndog

Post by Sterndog » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Ward as the newest Pro Staffer for DT Systems I would be glad to take care of your collar issue. Call me this week and I will take care of you.

Geoff
Sterndog Kennels
Geoff Sterner
817-301-3931
www.sterndogkennels.com
sterndogkennels@gmail.com

ward myers

Re: UPLAND E-COLLARS which one ?

Post by ward myers » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Geoff glad to see u here man welcome aboard

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Sport Dog will send you a new 1875 for $265 plus your old 1850. Look up the 1875 and see what you think.

http://www.radiofence.com/upland-hunter ... MgodGTIAQQ

Review by F & S:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/man ... r-e-collar

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I did the up grade to the 1875, had to have a working collar for this weekend, paid extra for next day delivery .
used the new sport dog 1875 worked flawlessly ,, they upgraded to lithium batteries only took 2 hours to charge instead off 12 like the 1850.
Geoff is now a staff member for DT-systems , so i will be looking at his collar systems incase things dont work out with my sportdog
thanks everyone i appreciate the input

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Dogtra 2500 B/T - I could n't be happier.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2500.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bently

Post by bently » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I used the DT 1850 H2O this season - very happy so far. I actually muffled the beeper with some duck tape. Can fine tune decibel level by poking holes in the tape. There is always a fix with duck tape.

If women can't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy - something like that from "Red Green"

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:19 pm

I have the Dog-Tra 2500 T&B 2 dog outfit, have had it for ever, never a problem. It's used 3 to 4 days a week 8 months a year. I just charge it up about every 8 hunts.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 pm

TT Pro 500.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

ACooper wrote:TT Pro 500.

GARMIN ALPHA which is tt pro 500

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 am

To: Art Hubbard
I am looking at the Dogtra 2502. Is this similiar to your 2500? My question is two fold. I will be running two dogs, one experienced the other not. The experienced dog has been conditioned on a Sportdog 1825, the other dog is just getting started on his training. First, have you had any issues with running your two dogs simultaneously and switching from one dog to the other quickly with e-stimulation levels for each? I notice the Dogtra stimulation levels are much easier to set than the Sportdog for two different dogs at different levels of e-collar experience. Up to now this has not been a problem with one dog. Now with two dogs at different levels of the training spectrum (one, for occasionaly reminders, the other basic training), it is a huge issue for me to make quick adjustments in the field.
The other question relates to the beeper. If your 2500 is similiar I notice the beeper is attached to the reciever and rides underneath the neck of the dog like all recievers. This is unlike the TT or Sportdog which requires a separate beeper attached and is supposed to ride on top of the collar. Does your reciever/ beeper provide adequate sound for locating your dog and or while it is on point? As the reciever/beeper faces the ground I am concerned the locating - beeper sound will get muffled. From your experience does the sound transmit up and out, and thereby carry a reasonable distance for you to adequtely locate your dog? This is important as I hunt in thick cover and any additional buffering of sound beyond the natural surroundings becomes an issue. Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Thornapple

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:50 pm

I've had good luck with and like the TT pro100 with the beeper.

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 am

JIM K wrote:
ACooper wrote:TT Pro 500.

GARMIN ALPHA which is tt pro 500
+1 on the Garmin Alpha.

So I broke down and bought the Alpha beginning of January before we left for our Idaho Chuckar hunt.

The bottom line for me is this product made a Huge improvement in hunting with my dogs and covering ground!! It also made made my hunting more productive, enjoyable, and relaxing (after I took the time to learn how to use it)

I had the Pro TT 500 and loved the simplicity and reliability of it. The Alpha collar has the same great features as the TT collars with the HUGE benefit of the GPS. I thought that the GPS would mainly just give me peace of mind if I lost my dog. The GPS feature is a TON more beneficial when hunting than I ever imagined, especially if you hunt areas one where your dog is out of eye site after it ranges out more than 50+ yards.

Knowing exactly how far away from you your dogs are and in which direction is a HUGE benefit when hunting and trying to cover ground as efficiently as possible. The biggest benefits I've found so far are

1. I can let my dogs range out of eye site alot further without hacking on them or calling them in. There's a huge difference for example knowing your dog is 300 yds out and heading back towards you VS. not knowing if the dog is 300 or 1,200 yards out and heading away or back towards you.

2. I can turn, pattern, and call my dogs back in allot further away and out of site with allot less stimulation (allot of times just with the tone). I can watch the screen after I give the command and see if the dog is turning the right direction. If it's not I can increase the stimulation and make the correction immediately, before the dog gets too far out.

If your hunting partner has an Alpha you can set them up to track one another, as well as each others dogs. You can also send text messages back and forth even when there's no cell phone coverage. You can mark the truck before you head out or any other point on your route and always find the shortest route back.

3. The transmitter will alert you if your dog stops moving and goes on point. Because of the GPS feature you can make a B-line towards you dog and reach them faster. You can also set the transmitter up to alert you if the dog ranges out past whatever distance you set. You can establish boundaries on the GPS (private property, highways etc.) and set the alerts up if you dog gets to close to one of the boundries.

So far I've only used the basic features on it. There's a hundred other features and menus on it I haven't even got into yet (and maybe never will).

Like most of you, I hunt with dogs to get away from the cell phones, computers and other gadgets that seem to take up more and more of my time and make life more hectic. The Alpha is one gadget however that after I learned how to use the basics, actually made the whole experience more relaxing and enjoyable. Heck, I don't know if I'll ever even use a beeper again.

The negative thing about the Alpha is the price. The Alpha is freakin expensive! The unit comes one collar and is $800. Each additional collar is $300/EA !!!

They do include a really nice Garmin Field bag though to carry your collars and transmitter in :)

After reading the previous posts, I think 90% of the problems people have had is just a settings issue or being unfamiliar with the product. I made allot of the same mistakes. I would recommend the following to anybody buying the product.

- Spend some time BEFORE you go hunting learning how to use the basics on the collar. Set up the stimulation levels for each dog and learn how to navigate the training menu. Even though Garmin tried to model the stimulation buttons after Tri-Tronics it still takes some getting use to.

- Also, get familiar with the two types of tracking screens (the compass and topo view). Same thing on this, learn how to navigate the tracking screens and change the settings.

After you try these functions out with your dogs and get the hang of it you can start playing around with all the other cool features.

The one that I got came with a swivel type belt clip that the transmitter snaps into (just like a cell phone). I bought the Garmin retractable lanyard so that even if the clip breaks or the transmitter slips out of the clip, the lanyard keeps it attached to your body. You can also transfer the transmitter to your jacket or vest pocket or clip it to your belt, depending on how often you are using it and not worry about dropping it. Definitely get a lanyard or some type of leash. At $500 a transmitter you don't want to loose the dang thing. Also get a screen protector for it before it goes out in the field to protect your touchscreen from getting scratched (just like a cell).

I don't think you would need a holster. Is seems like a holster would limit or at least make it harder to operate the stimulation buttons and the touch screen.

Anyway, those are just a few things I've learned about using the Alpha the last month or so. It's like any other technology, you have to put some time in up front learning how to use it. Otherwise, you'll definitely go through some frustration trying to make it work in the field :)
Last edited by Highway Ends Kennel on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Cluff
Highway Ends Kennel
928-792-3301
Safford, AZ
http://www.highwayends.com/

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 am

Brian,
I wrote elsewhere on this forum that my concern for the Alpha is accuracy for closer in contact work. It sounds like you hunt open fields of CRP, hay, corn, etc. I hunt mostly thick cover and my dogs do not range more than maybe 250 - 300 feet or so from me. If you have hunted grouse or woodcock even 30 feet can be the dividing line between knowing where your dog is or not; sometimes a lot less than that! I do not use a bell for a number of reasons which I will not go in here, so I rely on the beeper for notification of a point. I had hoped the Alpha would work as I use Garmin products a lot for back woods hiking, etc.
I spoke to a knowledgeable salesperson of e-collars who is an experienced bird hunter for both pheasant and grouse. He mentioned what others on this Forum have also mentioned. That all seem to claim the Alpha is best served with bigger running dogs in open terrain. With close in work it is harder for the GPS to show the same accuracy that you speak of. I wish it were more accurate, but I am going on the recommendations of him and other bird hunters (mostly grouse and wood cock hunters) on this forum that have found the Alpha to be less than acceptable for these thick conditions.
Do you have thoughts on this, or experience that counters this? What is your experience? I would like to know if you have used the Garmin Alpha in heavy woods and its success, particularly with close in working dogs.
Thornapple

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 am

Thornapple wrote:Brian,
I wrote elsewhere on this forum that my concern for the Alpha is accuracy for closer in contact work. It sounds like you hunt open fields of CRP, hay, corn, etc. I hunt mostly thick cover and my dogs do not range more than maybe 250 - 300 feet or so from me. If you have hunted grouse or woodcock even 30 feet can be the dividing line between knowing where your dog is or not; sometimes a lot less than that! I do not use a bell for a number of reasons which I will not go in here, so I rely on the beeper for notification of a point. I had hoped the Alpha would work as I use Garmin products a lot for back woods hiking, etc.
I spoke to a knowledgeable salesperson of e-collars who is an experienced bird hunter for both pheasant and grouse. He mentioned what others on this Forum have also mentioned. That all seem to claim the Alpha is best served with bigger running dogs in open terrain. With close in work it is harder for the GPS to show the same accuracy that you speak of. I wish it were more accurate, but I am going on the recommendations of him and other bird hunters (mostly grouse and wood cock hunters) on this forum that have found the Alpha to be less than acceptable for these thick conditions.
Do you have thoughts on this, or experience that counters this? What is your experience? I would like to know if you have used the Garmin Alpha in heavy woods and its success, particularly with close in working dogs.
Thornapple

go to our forum below. i did test of alpha in grouse woods here in pa.
i mean i hunt some real steep sidehills
heavy brush etc..

www.smallmunsterlander.org

scroll down left to SMCNA WEB FORUM
CLICK, THEN GO TO everything else.
click and i have topic, GARMIN ALPHA.

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Thornapple wrote:Brian,
Thornapple
I live in SE Arizona which is where I hunt most of the season. We'll take one or two hunting trips out of state to Idaho or Montana each year. Arizona is where I do 95% of my hunting though. We don't have any CRP here and I do very little hunting in the actual alfalfa or agricultural fields. Sometimes we'll hunt along the edge of fields along the river where the cover is allot thicker and will hold the birds. There's some abandoned farm ground we hunt every once in a while that is overgrown to the point that the birds will hold.

Most of what I hunt though for Gambles and Scallies though is native desert. This can range anywhere from really open areas with sparse vegetation to really thick areas in the washes and river bottoms overgrown with mesquites and salt cedars.

OPEN DESERT
Open area #2.jpg
Open Area #3.jpg
THICK RIVER BOTTOMS
River Bottom.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian Cluff
Highway Ends Kennel
928-792-3301
Safford, AZ

Highway Ends Kennel

Post by Highway Ends Kennel » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:35 am

Thornapple,

The Mearns country I hunt can range anywhere from pretty dense vegetation
Thicker wash vegetation.jpg
Mearns #2.jpg
To pretty wide open spaces
Mearns Hunting.jpg
The cedars in the Mearns country is about as close as I come to hunting in trees. It can get pretty thick sometimes but then usually opens up in areas better for hunting. We don't have anything here that would compare to the woodcock and grouse woods like you guys hunt back east. Most of the time when I loose eye site of my dogs it is because of the terrain. The changing elevations in the washes, canyons, ridges etc can make a dog disappear pretty quick. You add some taller, dense vegetation in the right spots and it happens even faster.

I have watched the Garmin though as the dogs are coming back towards me say through a canyon or wash were I couldn't see them until they were with in 50 ft or so. At the refresh rate of 5 sec. I have mine set at and the speed the dogs usually travel, the transmitter would usually register something like 500ft, 350ft, 200ft, 75 ft etc. I know the transmitter will register the dogs distances like 20ft or 30ft away as well. I don't usually pay attention at this point though because the dog is usually within eye site.

As far as the device being accurate enough to locate your dog 300 ft away in a thick grouse or woodcock covert, I can't say one way or another because I haven't hunted that kind of terrain with the Garmin yet.

It almost seems like if your dog is hunting within a range of 200-300 ft, that a med-loud tone button on your transmitter would be an easier way to locate your dog. That way you could keep your eyes on the thick stuff your working your way through as you head in the direction of the tone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian Cluff
Highway Ends Kennel
928-792-3301
Safford, AZ

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:10 am

Brian,
Thanks for the beautiful shots of your dog and the area you hunt. I am still going to consider the Alpha as I can see its value as you have well expressed. In the interim I will probably pick up the Dogtra as its reciever and beeper are one in the same unit. It would be nice if Garmin/Tritronics were able to combine a beeper to its Alpha for those of us that hunt thick vegetation. Until then.........
All my best, Thornapple

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:16 am

very nice country you both have out there.
comments were how does alpha do in grouse woods. so far, very good but i have yet to test it with leaves on.
as for beeper to locate your pup, you dont need it and it makes hunting much more fun,NO BEEPERS . :wink:
ALPHA will beep you when pup goes on point.
if you want more, use FLEWELLING BELL on collar.
i have a friend who sells them locally and his prices are best .great bell. :wink:

i hunt brush so thick that the ALPHA tells me whiskers is 40 ft away but i cant see him.you stand there looking and nothing UNTIL whiskers moves a little.
arrow pointed dead on where he was at.
it takes TIME to get use to no beeper and no bell.kind of scary at first.46 yrs using bell,now none. :wink:

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Jim, when I go to purchase the new e-collar I will test out the Alpha based on your recommendation.
Thanks, Thornapple

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:47 am

Jim,
I just tried Googling Flewelling Bells and could not find a source for them. Do you know of an outlet that sells them?
Thornapple

Cascade_fisher

Post by Cascade_fisher » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 am

Thornapple wrote:To: Art Hubbard
I am looking at the Dogtra 2502. Is this similiar to your 2500? My question is two fold. I will be running two dogs, one experienced the other not. The experienced dog has been conditioned on a Sportdog 1825, the other dog is just getting started on his training. First, have you had any issues with running your two dogs simultaneously and switching from one dog to the other quickly with e-stimulation levels for each? I notice the Dogtra stimulation levels are much easier to set than the Sportdog for two different dogs at different levels of e-collar experience. Up to now this has not been a problem with one dog. Now with two dogs at different levels of the training spectrum (one, for occasionaly reminders, the other basic training), it is a huge issue for me to make quick adjustments in the field.
The 2502 is the same thing except where the 2500 has a high/low tone switch for your one dog that switch controls which dog. The tones are set by the number (ie. dog one is high tone, dog two is low tone). It is very easy to switch dogs and as you I have one dog that is very experienced MH and the other is starting SH. I leave the switch on the SH dog as he is more prone to need a correction.
The other question relates to the beeper. If your 2500 is similiar I notice the beeper is attached to the reciever and rides underneath the neck of the dog like all recievers. This is unlike the TT or Sportdog which requires a separate beeper attached and is supposed to ride on top of the collar. Does your reciever/ beeper provide adequate sound for locating your dog and or while it is on point? As the reciever/beeper faces the ground I am concerned the locating - beeper sound will get muffled. From your experience does the sound transmit up and out, and thereby carry a reasonable distance for you to adequtely locate your dog? This is important as I hunt in thick cover and any additional buffering of sound beyond the natural surroundings becomes an issue. Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Thornapple
The beeper is very adequate for sound but there is a way to change the volume in three levels for each dog.

I love this unit much more than any Tri-tronics unit (and I own some) and have not been overly impressed with the Alpha in the field to drop that much coin on a generation 1 unit. Pioneer penalty IMO. I also like the redundancy of the Garmin Astro being a separate collar with name plate and all. I set it for less frequent intervals so it last longer as well.
Last edited by Cascade_fisher on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:37 am

I've had the ALPHA since early December. I love the thing. No complaints. Dog wears it all day every day (except when sleeping or kenneled) and the batteries last a good two days. Very easy to use, and so far seems extremely accurate. I like the "On Point" indicator and dog status indicator in general. It seems to be pretty accurate, and like a previous poster said, if the arrow points toward the dog and says he's 100 yrds in that direction, it is accurate. I like the birdseye imagery as well. I can follow his "Track" and see how his pattern looks and see if he is missing any productive spots and use the imagery to work on it later in training. Very good product IMHO.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:51 pm

UpNorthHuntin,
Have you usethe Alpha GPS for close in work? How far and if so what was your experience?
Thornapple

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:22 am

Thornapple wrote:UpNorthHuntin,
Have you usethe Alpha GPS for close in work? How far and if so what was your experience?
Thornapple
Mine has seemed to work as close as 30 yards. Might even work in a little tighter. If you are going to be working "close-in" all the time though, I don't know if I would spend $800 dollars on the collar. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but you are paying for the 8-9 mile range and the ability to run and train multiple dogs. The other features are pretty awesome as well. I wilol use mine for deer hunting and fishing as well. I live near Lake St Clair, so in a boat it is sometimes difficult to know if you are in Michigan or Canadian water. Not with the birdseye imagery it isn't though. The ability to mark coveys with just a touch of the screen basically, or grouse flushes, or whatever. Just not sure if my dog worked in close all the time I would need all the features. The compass has to be calibrated every once in a while. I do it every time I am out with it. After that it seems to be very accurate. It has a feature on it to track to the dog. I think I have seen it up to 30 feet (10 yds) before it gave me the "you have arrived at REMI" notification.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:04 am

UpNorthHuntin,
Thanks. Your experience is what I was told by a retailer who tested it out. I really like the features of the Garmin Alpha and think if I were younger I would absolutely get it! Even though I am still in pretty good shape the days of my walking miles of terrain or running to a point are all over. Today it is more a walk in the woods for an hour at best and then back in the truck for some hot coffee and off to the next spot.
Having spoken to an engineer at Garmin who works on these devices, I was taken by their sincere interest in making their new "dog" identification lines as accurate as possible. The only thing I suggested to them from what I initially saw was the limitation on the number of impulse levels for e-collar conditioning; specifically for training. However as most who have responded on these forums have indicated when you go to buy the Alpha it is not as a basic training tool, it is a very good locater with the ability with an adequate e-collar contact. As someone that is still training either of the Tritronics Pro, Dogtra, Sportdog will work best. I guess it is like trying to combine a T-6A Texan II Navy trainers with an F-14 Tomcat, aint go’n happen at least in my life!
Have fun with your Alpha and your magnificent dog, Thornapple

Jquest

Post by Jquest » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Hey guys I'm new to this site but I felt the need to chime in here...I would tell anyone who asked which collar to buy
SportDog or Tritronics...With out a doubt in the world BUY TRITRONICS!!! I went through (6) Six Sportdog 1825 camo
systems before just giving up. Heres the truth about SportDog:They sell China made cheap gear at an expensive price.
The unit has a ONE YEAR WARRANTY and I think SportsDog business plan is they hope you don't use it much and it will make it a year.
If not and you system fails while under warranty Sportdog sends you a reburb with only a 90 DAY Warranty!!! Its goning to fail...They
ALL FAIL!!! I purchased my 1st SportDog collar in 2006 a WetLand 2000. It was recalled by SportDog...I didn't know that until I
called them AFTER IT FAILED. They sent me another 2000 it failed with in 11 months.As a Pro waterdog trainer I use at least 1 collar
everyday.SportDog said they had a new great collar the 1825. I looked at Steves Reviews on Gun Dog Supply..Purchased SIX of these
1825..I think they ended up sending 14 reburbs in a 3 year peroid...I ended up with only two working systems and SportDog refuses to
send or replace any more. Last point, back in 2006 people would say buy SportDog for the Service. Let me tell ya in 2013...If you want
poor service and a poor collar buy anything from SportDog,,You'll get it.
Bottom line: Buy Tritronics and be Happy or buy SportDog and be very,very sad you did.*** All these postive review you see on SportDog are from people that used them a month or on weekends...Look at a reveiw for someone that has had a SportDog collar of 18 months...IT FAILED!!!

JB 53YOA Life time waterfowl chaser NC Coast/Pro Waterdog Trainer/Lodge Owner