47%
Makes no difference
42%

Total votes: 19

bhairhoger

Product Reviews

Post by bhairhoger » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi All,
I am working on a project and I hope I can get some real world input. I am sure everyone reads hunting/fishing related magazines where they show product reviews (for example Editor's Pick or Best Buy) and field tests (5 star rating). How much do those reviews/field test influence your buying decisions? Please post a response related to your vote.

For sake of the reviews all products/manufacturers are advertisers in the magazine and only one gets picked as "Best of", "Editor's pick" or "5 star rating".
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

SpinoneIllinois

Re: Product Reviews

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:26 am

If all of the products/manufacturers being reviewed are advertisers, I'm always suspicious. Especially if they just happen to all be glowing reviews.

A top-notch publication will have a separation between advertising operations and editorial operations. But in many cases, no such separation exists, and it's often easy to see that the publication is serving as a cheerleader for its advertisers. It's easy for that to happen, when the writers/reviewers see who is paying the bills.

There are a few trusted publications, like Outdoor Life and Field & Stream, where I'd put stock in their reviews of products such as guns or other gear. In your example, where "Best of" gets chosen only from advertisers, I'd be skeptical.

For example, if I see that your magazine has ads from Kia, Hyundai and Subaru, and you declare in one of your reviews/fields tests that Kias are the No. 1, very best car, I'd raise an eyebrow. To me, it'd be pretty clear why you didn't give any consideration to Mercedes, BMW, GM, Ford, etc.

Bottom line, I think most consumers/readers are fairly bright, and able to sort through that kind of stuff.

Redfishrick

Re: Product Reviews

Post by Redfishrick » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:19 am

I don't put much stock in reviews. I always assume the individual doing the reviews is either compensated by the company or sponsored in some way by the company. Jaded view I know, but advertisements and politicians are two things I don't trust.