Opinon: SD-400 or TT Sport Junior G3

dutchwest

Opinon: SD-400 or TT Sport Junior G3

Post by dutchwest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:40 pm

I am looking to buy a e-collar for use on my 6 month old lab pup, She works fairly close and I am not looking to spend a lot of money on a new collar as I am a beginner at this. Have had a few friends that have had good luck with the Sport Dog 400, But I would like to hear some opinons on the Tri Tronics Sport Junior G3.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Opinon: SD-400 or TT Sport Junior G3

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:44 pm

You will regret going cheap. Either invest in your dog equipment our you will pay more on the long run.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm

kninebirddog wrote:You will regret going cheap. Either invest in your dog equipment our you will pay more on the long run.
+1. Once you get into it, you will find that you need to upgrade.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

dutchwest

Post by dutchwest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 pm

The purpose of asking the question was to avoid purchasing a product I will soon regret, Do you have any suggestions on a product that will meet the needs best? I will be hunting upland for pheasant, huns, mountain grouse, and plenty of duck hunting. Like I mentioned earlier my pup works pretty close, and being this is my first gun dog, I would appreciate some suggestions! Thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Ok going by the title of your post..neither one would be a choice for field work or training in the field.

the tri tronics sport which is a big step up from the jr. or classic 70 ..I personally other the tri tronics pro 100 but that one is fast pricier then the average hunter collars
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Mollyontherun

Re: I'm thinking of buying...

Post by Mollyontherun » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm in the process of buying too. However, I have been upland hunting for 11 years and have two GSPs- but that certainly doesn't make me an expert :D
This next year- I plan on taking one of my GSPs into the duck blind. I've been considering the SD-400.

Dutch- do you want a combo trainer/beeper collar or just a trainer?

If only a trainer for ONE dog- check out the collar I am thinking of getting. The price seems really good. http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/inde ... uct_id=909

Gundog supply has some really good articles about e-collars based on function and price. check out this page http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... guide.html

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:27 pm

I wouldn't get anything less than the TT G3 Sport Basic.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

compasscreek

Post by compasscreek » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:57 pm

I'll second the TT G3 Sport Basic. I started with the SD400 and was EXTEMELY disappointed! If fact I was so disgusted with their product I will NOT buy any of their stuff. SD400 has a small range and you will have to turn it up to get any type of stimulation. After just a few DAYS using the TT G3 Sport Basic we had extreme improvements with far less stimulation and frequency of stimulation. Don't waste your money or time on anything Sportdog.
"We did not inherit the Earth from our parents,
We are borrowing it from our children"

dutchwest

Post by dutchwest » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Molly thanks I will check those out.. Although I am praying that I will still need that collar, pup was hit by a truck this afternoon and is fighting for her life this evening. Vet says the next 24 hours are critical, she has two collapsed lungs, but she is fighting pretty hard, and the vet is hopeful that she will recover as are we.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:04 pm

dutchwest wrote:Molly thanks I will check those out.. Although I am praying that I will still need that collar, pup was hit by a truck this afternoon and is fighting for her life this evening. Vet says the next 24 hours are critical, she has two collapsed lungs, but she is fighting pretty hard, and the vet is hopeful that she will recover as are we.
:cry: Sending some prayers for your pup :cry:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:10 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
dutchwest wrote:Molly thanks I will check those out.. Although I am praying that I will still need that collar, pup was hit by a truck this afternoon and is fighting for her life this evening. Vet says the next 24 hours are critical, she has two collapsed lungs, but she is fighting pretty hard, and the vet is hopeful that she will recover as are we.
:cry: Sending some prayers for your pup :cry:
Same here. So sorry to hear that. :cry:
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

dutchwest

Post by dutchwest » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for the prayers, Dutchess is pretty lucky she made it, Vet seems to think she is on the road to a full recovery. They say it will be close to a month before her lungs fully heal and who knows how long to heal all the muscles, she is still one really hurting pup, but we are grateful that she is on the mend!!!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 pm

Best news I've heard in a while! Glad she made it.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...