Filson upland boots

deke

Filson upland boots

Post by deke » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 am

Anyone own a pair of these? Got mine at a price I couldn't pass up, but they sure are stiff. Any suggestions on how to break these in? How do you like them after they are broken in?

MJB64

Re: Filson upland boots

Post by MJB64 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I have a pair of short 6" Filson boots that were the stiffest boots that I have ever broken in. I almost gave up on them. Now they are like butter. Just keep limping around in them and if someone asks, just tell them that you have smoke in your eyes.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:20 pm

Once broke in a stiff pair of boots by soaking them with water and wearing them till they were dry. Worked perfectly!!

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:27 am

I didn't know Filsen made boots. Do they have a hard or soft bottom? Still need something for Chuckar hunting

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 am

jwnissen wrote:Once broke in a stiff pair of boots by soaking them with water and wearing them till they were dry. Worked perfectly!!
This is the way they told us to break in the old hard, leather ski boots, it worked like a charm!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

deke

Post by deke » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:05 pm

I have heard about soaking them and then wear till dry, but I have also heard that it is hard on the boots. I have been wearing them about five hours a day since I bought them, and they seem to be breaking in slowly.

bmcox- They are pretty stiff soles, much more so than any boots I have ever worn. They have cork insoles and vibram ( sp?) soles.

rat

Post by rat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:17 pm

I did the same thing. Bought the last pair the dealer had. Wish I had not. To stiff. Hard to break-in, too heavy for walking. Got a pair of Danner and they are wonderful. Bought them in the spring at a Gander Mt. at a discount.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:31 pm

rat wrote:I did the same thing. Bought the last pair the dealer had. Wish I had not. To stiff. Hard to break-in, too heavy for walking. Got a pair of Danner and they are wonderful. Bought them in the spring at a Gander Mt. at a discount.

I have been wearing mine nearly everyday since I bought them, and they are just getting to the point where they are broken in good. I found that oiling them every night when I got home was the ticket. I have only been doing that for about two weeks and you wouldn't believe the change. I use to wear Danner religiously, until my buddy bought a pair and they looked cheap and started falling apart after one season. Not sure if they shipped production somewhere, or changed leather but my 10 year old Danners were in better shape than his after one season.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 am

rat wrote:I did the same thing. Bought the last pair the dealer had. Wish I had not. To stiff. Hard to break-in, too heavy for walking. Got a pair of Danner and they are wonderful. Bought them in the spring at a Gander Mt. at a discount.
What are you going to do with the Filsons? Are they still tough to break in?

Ike

Post by Ike » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 am

Neatsfoot oil til they won't take anymore. Love my Filsons.

rocksteady1

Post by rocksteady1 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:04 pm

Are these boots good for chukar?

deke

Post by deke » Wed May 27, 2015 10:47 am

I have never hunted chukar, but I will tell you they are the nicest boots i have owned. We hunt the palouse in eastern wa for pheasant so it alot of up and down hill, and they seem to be holding up just fine.