Higgins Bird Releasers

Ms. Cage

Higgins Bird Releasers

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu May 08, 2014 2:23 pm

We've been thinking of picking a couple of Higgins bird releasers. Any pros and cons? We've used Dogtra for years and have been happy with how the Dogtra functions.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Higgins Bird Releasers

Post by ezzy333 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:26 pm

They each serve a different purpose. I think you would be happy with them if you just want to release a bird and have it walk instead of being launched. There are times when both are good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

I know trainers that prefer to use the releasers when possible to steady the dog as the bird flushes in a much more realistic fashion. Also, launchers have a tendency to hold scent much more than releasers. I have seen dogs that would blink launchers but never releasers. This was done on scent alone so the dogs could tell it was a setup.

If using pigeons, they will usually flush when released from a releaser. Quail on the other hand will most of the time sit there unless the dog or you pressure them. When you want to have loose quail on the ground you can hang the releaser upside down from a low limb and release the birds to the ground when you are getting closer. They will usually drop to the ground and not flush at that time.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri May 09, 2014 8:22 am

They each serve a different purpose. I think you would be happy with them if you just want to release a bird and have it walk instead of being launched. There are times when both are good.
Agree.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 pm

They are the bee's knees. I've seen Maurice Lindley use them a bunch at his place, if I was regularly working dogs I'd have three or 4 and maybe 1 launcher.