nail trimers

greg jacobs

nail trimers

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:02 pm

My nail trimers came up missing. Everyone says they don't have them.
Bought a pair that I need to donate to one of the local panhandlers that have a fat dog laying beside them.

Anyone know of a pair that work really well.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: nail trimers

Post by Neil » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:35 pm

Cordless Dremel.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Cordless Dremel here too.

Using a combination of the small "drum" sander attachment and the stone-like cones (952).

The one precaution is not to grind for too long on any one nail to avoid heat from the friction causing discomfort. A few seconds, switch to another nail, repeat as necessary.

Bill

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:25 am

Yup, cordless Dremel works great. I've never tried the tapered tip stone; have to give it a try. I just use the drum. Much easier than clipping the nails, especially hard, black ones where you can't see the quick.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 am

marysburg wrote:Yup, cordless Dremel works great. I've never tried the tapered tip stone; have to give it a try. I just use the drum. Much easier than clipping the nails, especially hard, black ones where you can't see the quick.
The drum tends to remove nail a little faster (which is good) but also tends to square them up and is harder for shaping.

The tapered stone is nice to use last for a more finished look.

Bill

lovemypooch

Post by lovemypooch » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:56 pm

This one http://amzn.to/1PvpvBs is actually pretty awesome.
Or, as others have mentioned, go with this :) http://amzn.to/1MrbdRS

Personally, I prefer clippers, but a dremel is always an option tool Good luck

DCRanger

Post by DCRanger » Thu May 05, 2016 4:53 am

marysburg wrote:Yup, cordless Dremel works great. I've never tried the tapered tip stone; have to give it a try. I just use the drum. Much easier than clipping the nails, especially hard, black ones where you can't see the quick.
Same here. Been using a cordless dremel I found at a garage sale a few years ago and it works great. Takes a little getting used to for the dogs though but they will eventually accept it if you stickmwith it.

chicken19590

Post by chicken19590 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:29 am

I found a corded dremel $1 at yard sale and use it with the drum. Would love to find a cordless one for that price but have not found one yet.

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:01 pm

chicken19590 wrote:I found a corded dremel $1 at yard sale and use it with the drum. Would love to find a cordless one for that price but have not found one yet.
Nothing wrong with a corded one if you have a convenient place to plug in. And an advantage for never running out of battery-power or needing a battery replacement.

Bill

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Greg -

I have a Miller's Forge trimmer(large) that I use fairly often. I(most often) actually trim the dogs' nails back with it and finish off with a cordless Dremel knockoff that I bought from Harbor Freight.

The reason I use both is simply because I always forget to plug in the cordless batter, so it is always dead when I want to use it. By the time I have all the dogs trimmed back, the battery is charged up enough to smooth over the rough or sharp edges.

I also have a Jeffer's nail trimmer that is darn near as nice as the Miller's Forge one and a fraction of the price.

I have a couple of guillotine type trimmers, but I suck at using them...very often cutting too much off and drawing blood.. soooo I don't use them much any more.

RayG