Cold weather dog door.

Emhoffer1

Cold weather dog door.

Post by Emhoffer1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:56 am

I recently put a deposit down for my first pup. A deutsch drahthar. I am planning on building a kennel in my heated garage with access to an outdoor run as well. I want a dog door that will allow him to go outside whenever he wants but won't let in a ton of cold air when not being used.

Does anyone have experience with one that works well? I live in North Dakota so it gets very cold for long periods of time.

sompa

Re: Cold weather dog door.

Post by sompa » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:19 pm

been very happy with my Patio Pacific Endura Pet Door.

FrankRizzo

Re: Cold weather dog door

Post by FrankRizzo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:25 pm

sompa wrote:been very happy with my Patio Pacific Endura Pet Door.
I'm always interested in pet doors as I've never found one that would keep out the cold and one my dog couldn't destroy. I will guarantee my GSP would destroy this pet door within a week. The best thing I have found to keep out the cold and still have a flap type is round baler belting. My dog started to chew on the corner but once he hit the steel inside the belting that was the end. This alone though would still leak cold air into my heated garage. I then build another box on the outside of the garage with another door on that with the same belting. Now even with strong winds it does a pretty good job of keeping out the cold at a price of about $20 total. Machinery dealers have used belting they just throw away.

fourtrax

Re: Cold weather dog door.

Post by fourtrax » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:24 am

another possibility is the k9 condo flap door. <k9condo.com>