Kni-Co Alaskan Jr.

TheIndian

Kni-Co Alaskan Jr.

Post by TheIndian » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 pm

Anyone have experience with Kni-Co?
A buddy has the Trekker and it works great.
Just wondering if anyone has a stove that uses 5" pipe. I ask because my canvas tent has a 4" stove jack and I don't want to cut it. Thinking of reducing the pipe from 5" down to 4" so it can exit the tent without having to cut.
Will this reduction have a big affect on the stove draw? Hope not.
Thx.

oldbeek

Re: Kni-Co Alaskan Jr.

Post by oldbeek » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:40 pm

My 70 thousand BTU home heater only has a 6 inch pipe. 4inch should have enough draw for a tent. Remember length of the pipe also adds to velocity of the air going up the pipe. Probably should be asking the stove manufacturer.

TheIndian

Re: Kni-Co Alaskan Jr.

Post by TheIndian » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:52 pm

Thx oldbeek...checked with stove manufacturer and they said it should be fine. Just looking for first hand experience.

Another problem I have to consider however is that the outlet of the pipe will actually be less than 4 inches because the stove pipe sections are actually telescoping so the entire stove pipe stores nicely in stove when not in use. It would start out at stove as a 4 inch pipe but at the end it would now be less...that, the manufacturer didn't recommend. Bottom line, I think I'm just going to cut the jack to accommodate 5 inch pipe.

And thanks for the pointer on pipe length and draw velocity...didn't know that. Like a gun barrell, right?

Thx.