Red Wing Irish Setter Men's 814/817 Havoc

GSP7

Red Wing Irish Setter Men's 814/817 Havoc

Post by GSP7 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:36 pm

Who has Irish Setter Havoc boots 814 or 817
ImageImage

Do they have a low rear heel feel like a tennis shoe, moccasin or a bit of a raised rear heel feel kinda like a cowboy boot ,,, if you know what I mean

Are they real durable boot? What are your reviews great boot or ?

Ive had danner pronghorns and Vasque St Elias last few years. I was going to try some Havocs 814- 7" a year ago, Now Im in the market for boots again

Might get these Danners since I have some old 10" pronghorns...Proghorns or Havocs? ? ?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Red Wing Irish Setter Men's 814/817 Havoc

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Both are out of my league so I can't help you but all of them appear to have a fairly low walking heel.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Im on the wall right know between the Havoc and the Pronghorn

I know the pronghorn will leak water . the Havoc probably will too.

I wonder which will be more durable and last longer before coming apart

zrp

Post by zrp » Mon May 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Can't speak for the havoc but Irish setter wing shooters last forever. Mine look terrible but are still comfortable and absolutely will not leak.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Mon May 02, 2016 3:11 pm

zrp wrote:Can't speak for the havoc but Irish setter wing shooters last forever. Mine look terrible but are still comfortable and absolutely will not leak.

Do you have the Black rubber sole or the white synthetic sole?

I wish it had a more aggressive/ deeper lug sole for traction.

Do those soles wear smooth/slick pretty fast?

volraider

Post by volraider » Mon May 02, 2016 5:00 pm

I have the Danner Elk hunter and I love them. They are gortex and if they leak Gortex will replace them.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon May 02, 2016 5:14 pm

I really like the Danner Grouse and Rainforest boots. Hated the pronghorns , the toebox was huge and the soles were downright dangerous on the rocky chukar slopes if there was any moisture. The Danners are built with/on several different lasts, you just need to find out which one fits your foot the best . The only sole I would recommend for the Danners is the Vibram one. The soles on the Grouse boot don't stand up to chukar country but are fine for less rocky terrain. I tried one pair of Irish setter boots and had wicked blisters after a few hours , they just didn't fit my foot right.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue May 03, 2016 6:31 am

I think you need to go with the boot that fits you best. It's difficult for someone else to select a boot for you. A previous poster said the Irish Setters didn't fit him right and caused blisters but the Danners were just fine. My experience, with my feet, is the exact opposite. Danners just don't fit me right and my heels get blisters. But Irish Setters have always fit me well. I've had a pair of the Upland Havocs for a few years. The boots are extremely comfortable and are wearing very well. But if you walk in wet grass or wet snow for very long they will leak. But then I've never had any boot that didn't leak under those type of conditions. Good luck.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 am

GSP7 wrote:
zrp wrote:Can't speak for the havoc but Irish setter wing shooters last forever. Mine look terrible but are still comfortable and absolutely will not leak.

Do you have the Black rubber sole or the white synthetic sole?

I wish it had a more aggressive/ deeper lug sole for traction.

Do those soles wear smooth/slick pretty fast?
I have a pair of these Wingshooters with the black soles. Mine are only a year and a half old, get a fair amount of use, and are holding up well.

I'd probabally choose a more aggressive lug sole if I were designing the boots, but can't complain about the wear or grip. These boots overall are not as stiff, hard, or boot-like as I'm used to, and have some of the comfort/padding/easy break-in that makes them feel a bit more like tennis shoes in some respects than hard boots. Tastes on that quality can go either way. I lean towards stiffer mentally, but some days don't mind the comfort of these Irish Setters. They are not breaking down yet, which was my biggest concern.

I like mine.

Bill

TM964x4

Post by TM964x4 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a pair of havocs, and they are holding up really well. Being a chukar hunter in SW Idaho the boots have been through the test. I wear them all season, and in the snow. Extremely comfortable. I'll be getting another pair before I try something else. Hope that else
Trey

Timnichols

Post by Timnichols » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:39 pm

Havocs is all I will ware they are great.

Up North

Post by Up North » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am

If waterproof is needed I would look elsewhere. I bought two pairs before I realized how short term they were waterproof. I have sent two pair back to Irish Setter because they leaked in three months or less.

brandbll

Post by brandbll » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:35 pm

I realize this is a little late but I'll throw my input in there. I had a pair of Irish Setters that were basically the model the Havoc's took over. I used them for 8 years before just recently replacing them. Probably really only lasted 6 great years, 7th was workable, and by the 8th I was trying to patch them with shoe glue. But I beat the heck out of them, so I was really impressed. I went with Wing Shooters this time since I can get a discount at the store and they don't sell Havoc's and I was sort of in a bind. I don't think i've ever been disapointed in Irish Setter/Red Wing and their customer service is second to none.