Danner blow out

Bduke7645

Danner blow out

Post by Bduke7645 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:47 pm

So I’ve had my Danner sharptail for about 2 years last week in SD the side toe stitching blew out and now they definitely leak..

So what’s everyone wearing on there feet? Something uninsulated and waterproof

Garrison

Re: Danner blow out

Post by Garrison » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:58 pm

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=54980&p=505895&hilit=Boots#p505887

Here is some discussion on the topic.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Well, rats. Based on the title, I thought this was going to be about a Danner blowout sale!

I have Red Wing Irish Setter Wingshooters and -- I don't wear them much-- Irish Setter Pinnacle Insulated boots. I must admit that I've had them for 20 years and re-soled the Wingedshooters several times. There are rumors that they are not of the same quality they once were, so it is possible that my high regard for them is no longer warranted for new ones. These boots and I have been places and done things.

mask

Post by mask » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:49 am

I still really like the lowa boots

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:55 am

I bought some Irish Setter Vapor Tech boots for elk hunting that got moved over to upland. They were super light weight, kept my feet dry in the wet, the problem was the tread not being aggressive enough. I would slip on mud or wet grass, made for great sharptail or Hun boots.

I am thinking of trying a pair of Lowa or Crispi boots next. The Crispi GTX look pretty awesome.

I still don't think you can beat a pair of luck boots if your hunting the marshes for pheasants. Not something I would want to be walking the open prairie in though. My last pair lasted near 15 years before the sole started separating. The toes were worn smooth from walking through the sharp cattails. Has a dog chew into them once and they still kept water out.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:21 pm

I have the Irish Setter Wing shooters and they are ok but not great honestly. They are loose around the ankle and even though I believe they are the right size my foot moves around in them a lot which makes it hard to scrabble around in difficult terrain. They have an uncanny ability to come untied no matter how I tie them. I’m going to try different laces.

I like the looks of some of these high end jobs you boys are talking about. $450 seems like an awful lot for a pair of boots but I learned in the Marines that taking care of your feet can be the whole ball game. The Kennetrek store is about a mile from my house. I guess they have some fancy machine that tells you the exact size of your foot. Might have to go over there and check it out. The Hardscrabble Hiker look like they might be just what I need.

If it’s cold and wet tough to beat an insulated pair of Schnee’s Pac boots. They’re a local company here in Bozeman. Been around forever. Nice because you can take them in and get them re-soled. I’ll vouch for these boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:59 pm

RatDog wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:21 pm
I have the Irish Setter Wing shooters and they are ok but not great honestly. They are loose around the ankle and even though I believe they are the right size my foot moves around in them a lot which makes it hard to scrabble around in difficult terrain. They have an uncanny ability to come untied no matter how I tie them. I’m going to try different laces.

I like the looks of some of these high end jobs you boys are talking about. $450 seems like an awful lot for a pair of boots but I learned in the Marines that taking care of your feet can be the whole ball game. The Kennetrek store is about a mile from my house. I guess they have some fancy machine that tells you the exact size of your foot. Might have to go over there and check it out. The Hardscrabble Hiker look like they might be just what I need.

If it’s cold and wet tough to beat an insulated pair of Schnee’s Pac boots. They’re a local company here in Bozeman. Been around forever. Nice because you can take them in and get them re-soled. I’ll vouch for these boots.

If they fit your feet Schnee’s Beartooth are an awesome all around boot, I have a lot of friends who won’t wear anything else. I bought some to try and they had the perfect amount of flex for upland hunting the flats and hills. The last was a little too narrow for my foot in the toe box, and they didn’t have a wide in my size. Everywhere else they were the best fitting on my foot of all the boots I tried. I ended up with Crispi Nevada uninsulated and they are great for my foot. Schnee’s has a sale going now. If they have your size you can get them for $280 I think. I have a friend in Bozeman and he has picked up some great deals on returns several times.

Garrison

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:59 pm

I was curious about their more technical looking stuff. Thanks, that’s good to know. I think some of their stuff is made here in Boz and some over in Italy but I like the idea of supporting a local company.

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:18 pm

RatDog wrote:

Your knees and lower back will thank you at the end of the day. My thought is I can buy a pair of $100 boots that aren't any good from Cabela's, or Bass pro or Scheels, still have to put insoles in them for support, and they last a year. Or I can buy a good pair and have them last 5 or more.

I've come to the conclusion there isn't a 1 boot fits all when hunting. I now have 3 pairs:
One pair for the prairie when I'm chasing sharptails or Mule Deer
One pair for grouse or elk in the foothills and mountains
One pair for spending the day in marshes chasing pheasants.

I have greatly increased the life of my boots in miles and my body has thanked me for better equipment as well.

It's crazy how much damage to your body a pair of I'll fitting, cheaply built boots with no support will do and how fast it will happen.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:35 pm

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:18 pm
RatDog wrote:

Your knees and lower back will thank you at the end of the day. My thought is I can buy a pair of $100 boots that aren't any good from Cabela's, or Bass pro or Scheels, still have to put insoles in them for support, and they last a year. Or I can buy a good pair and have them last 5 or more.

I've come to the conclusion there isn't a 1 boot fits all when hunting. I now have 3 pairs:
One pair for the prairie when I'm chasing sharptails or Mule Deer
One pair for grouse or elk in the foothills and mountains
One pair for spending the day in marshes chasing pheasants.

I have greatly increased the life of my boots in miles and my body has thanked me for better equipment as well.

It's crazy how much damage to your body a pair of I'll fitting, cheaply built boots with no support will do and how fast it will happen.
Sorry, what was that you were saying?😉🤦🏻‍♂️ Not to mention they can be rebuilt.
BB4619E4-4564-4EC2-B597-F2DB731845F5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:46 pm

If they perform as advertised I’m sure it’s money we’ll spent.

I have a quiver of skis for specific applications and same with fly rods, why not boots. My gear addiction begs to be fed.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Supposed to get my son snow boots. They had the Beartooth in a 14 wide and it was 40% off. Couldn’t resist. They feel great. Surprisingly light.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:07 pm

RatDog wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm
Supposed to get my son snow boots. They had the Beartooth in a 14 wide and it was 40% off. Couldn’t resist. They feel great. Surprisingly light.

Nice!!! They are really great boots, perfect flex when not packing heavy. Make sure you use an approved product for conditioning/waterproofing. Anything oil based on boots like these will cause the rand to separate and stitching to fail prematurely. I think they recommend nikwax.

Garrison

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Garrison wrote:
RatDog wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:17 pm

Nice!!! They are really great boots, perfect flex when not packing heavy. Make sure you use an approved product for conditioning/waterproofing. Anything oil based on boots like these will cause the rand to separate and stitching to fail prematurely. I think they recommend nikwax.

Garrison
They are great! I haven’t put them through their paces yet but I’ve been wearing them around a lot and they are super comfortable. I like the stiffness. I was wondering if it’d be overkill.

That Ruffland kennel and Mud River cover have been terrific as well. Thanks very much for steering me in the right direction!

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:57 pm

n[/quote]
They are great! I haven’t put them through their paces yet but I’ve been wearing them around a lot and they are super comfortable. I like the stiffness. I was wondering if it’d be overkill.

That Ruffland kennel and Mud River cover have been terrific as well. Thanks very much for steering me in the right direction!

[/quote]

👍🏻
Last edited by Garrison on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:29 am

I have some sort of Danner boots. They nearly make me forget I even have feet, so they must be good enough. :P So far no complaints, but obviously women's boots...

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:25 pm

For sure. Nothing wrong with Danner. I wore them when I was in the Corps and for work boots when I worked in the oil patch. I went to their factory when I lived in Portland. Fine American made product.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:38 pm

danner does outsource to other countries as in China the boots made here are quality boots.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Bduke7645 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:47 pm
So I’ve had my Danner sharptail for about 2 years last week in SD the side toe stitching blew out and now they definitely leak..

So what’s everyone wearing on there feet? Something uninsulated and waterproof
I had a pair of the older Danner Sharptail made in USA, (They did not make those very long), the soles blew out of those.
I have a pair of Danner grouse, and a pair of Danner light with the od green cordura side, love them both. Definitely the USA made Danners are the way to go. The Danner lights are a 6 inch boot I wear alot in early fall.