What's a good Upland bird vest?

SettersRus

What's a good Upland bird vest?

Post by SettersRus » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:44 pm

Looking for a new vest. I like something front loading and want it to be comfortable. I had previously posted a post asking about the Pella vest with no response, so I thought I would just ask for overall vest opinions.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Pella would be my second choice of a vest. I really like Mother's. It's newly redesigned this year with bigger pockets and easier loading. I have an old Mother's and it is absolutely the most comfortable and toughest vest I've ever had. It is hard to get birds in though; I take mine off to put a bird in.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:28 am

I'm using a Remington vest, mesh top that I like pretty much. It was presented to me for judging a trial, so I didn't buy it.

I've kinda been looking at the one Cabela's sells with Tom Dokken's name on it with the transmitter pockets etc. I don't really want one with the camel back. I care one of my horseback jugs on my belt with a carbiner, and we both share.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:30 pm

The Guide Series from Gander Mountain works fine for me. Blaze orange, front loading, large zippered pockets, easy to find and grab shell loops, and made of mesh for warmer days (can always throw on a jacket, but can't always vent every vest). Hits every checkmark requirement I can throw at it, and it was cheap.

(On any vest, make sure you have the requisite amount of blaze orange, check your State and local laws/ordinances)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:32 pm

My hunting buddy has a pella, I have a browning. Wouldn't buy the browning again, it is comfortable, but it doesn't have enough places to separate stuff and no water pockets. He swears by his pella.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:42 pm

I went through several vests before I settled on my Gamehide.
http://www.gamehide.com/product/product ... eriesid=40
They are very reasonably priced, functional and sharp looking.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:31 pm

Using a 6 yr old Columbia with a neoprene yoke that helps when it's getting heavy (more often water than birds). Sierra Trading Post occasionally has them pretty cheap and Cabelas carries them.
Colin

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:49 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Pella would be my second choice of a vest. I really like Mother's. It's newly redesigned this year with bigger pockets and easier loading. I have an old Mother's and it is absolutely the most comfortable and toughest vest I've ever had. It is hard to get birds in though; I take mine off to put a bird in.
I agree, the loading of birds into the vest is the tough part..i have to take mine off as well.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:01 pm

I've had my Quilomene Vest for 6 years now and love it.

http://www.quilomene.com/page/995744

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:21 am

A good hunting vest is one that is blaze orange, can be loaded from the front, and has pockets for shells and all of the other stuff you carry.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:08 pm

My hunting buddy uses a Pella, I am going to buy one before next season. He traded me for a day and I LOVED it. I ended up carrying a couple chukar and a nice sized rabbit and it sure made the load more comfortable.

RedWing

Post by RedWing » Thu May 17, 2007 7:09 pm

I like the Filson Strap Vest. Very comfortable with plenty of room for game and all the "stuff". It distributes the weight evenly across my shoulders. It comes with or without blaze orange.

http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp ... age=family

nj gsp

vest

Post by nj gsp » Sat May 19, 2007 6:35 pm

I just bought one of these -

Cabela's Ultimate Field Dog™ System Vest

and so far, I like it. Note that several of the reader reviews say they had problems with birds falling out the front of the vest. I've just been using mine for training, but nothing I've put in the front like gloves, etc. have fallen out, so maybe they fixed that particular issue.

ccavacini

Re: vest

Post by ccavacini » Wed May 23, 2007 12:13 pm

I got one of these also..but mine was old enough not to have the transmitter pocket...has two elastic openings in the back to carry water for the dogs and enough pockets all around for anything...have had mine for 6 years...a little beaten up but still the best I've had...I've seen them go on sale on occasion.
NJ GSP wrote:I just bought one of these -

Cabela's Ultimate Field Dog™ System Vest

and so far, I like it. Note that several of the reader reviews say they had problems with birds falling out the front of the vest. I've just been using mine for training, but nothing I've put in the front like gloves, etc. have fallen out, so maybe they fixed that particular issue.

AZHUNT09

Post by AZHUNT09 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:45 pm

I use the GameHide vest for trials and hunting. Both a front load and very comfortable to wear. I also have a cabela's vest that is nice. Both brands are very durable and a great value. $30. i looked at the higher priced vest but they were heavy and settled on these. Ive been very happy with all. Good luck on your purchase

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:26 pm

Well, I am not too particular, I carry one water bottle and like two pockets for shells.
I have a couple of Columbia vests, and an old nylon red head and a cabelas strap vest. I like some hunters orange, but not 100%
My biggest complaint is the last two years they shrunk! I am moving up to XL.....
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:12 am

rosiesdad wrote:My biggest complaint is the last two years they shrunk!
It's funny how they do that!
:lol:

Oldfarmer

Post by Oldfarmer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:50 pm

The Columbia Grouse X gets my vote! But it will shrink too if you don't watch you taters.