Upland hunting jacket recomendations - Filson, or other....

setterpup

Upland hunting jacket recomendations - Filson, or other....

Post by setterpup » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 pm

Anyone here familiar with Filson's upland hunting jacket? I was fortunate enough to get one for X-mas, but I'm curious if anyone has used one. I'm wondering if it's worth the cost (big bucks $$$) or if I should return it and look for another hunting jacket. Also, my jacket is made of Filson's tin cloth, and I've heard the shelter cloth is plenty rugged and more comfortable. Thoughts on filson gear in general? Tin cloth vs. shelter cloth? Do you have a upland coat you'd recommend?

I hunt upland birds exclusively (phez, chukar, quail, and grouse) and no waterfowl. I would characterize the cover I hunt as generally light with the occasional run through some nasty heavy stuff, particularly when chasing quail or grouse. Thanks.

beachgsp

Post by beachgsp » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:55 am

I was introduced to filson at the start of last year. I have the game bag, a vest, two jackets, chaps and some other things. The tin cloth is very water proof and protective. It will give after time and wear nicely. If you don't lose it, you will pass it down to your kids. I like to buy things once!

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:07 am

I picked up the Filson Pro Guide Strap Vest in Tin Cloth before the season started and it's hands down the best vest I've ever owned, and I'm a vest freak.
My one and only complaint is the rear loading is difficult with bigger birds such as Blue Grouse and Pheasants, and I like to keep a few things in the front loading area, so I make a few adjustments to compensate, but over-all this product is worth every substantial penny.
I paired it up with a set of Tin Cloth Double Chaps and I can get through the thickest brush without any worries and snow/rain doesn't bother me a bit.

cancrkkennels

Post by cancrkkennels » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 am

I never owned a filson coat or vest for hunting but I used to wear it when I logged and that stuff will hold up and keep you dry.