Gelber brand

Rampage

Gelber brand

Post by Rampage » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:22 am

I would like to no more about this colour. My bitch just had a litter and has had 4 out of 8 pups with this colour. In her last litter she had 3. We use the same sire both times. Could anyone share some light on this topic please?

volraider

Re: Gelber brand

Post by volraider » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 am

Post the pedigree.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:49 am

Rampage wrote:I would like to no more about this colour. My bitch just had a litter and has had 4 out of 8 pups with this colour. In her last litter she had 3. We use the same sire both times. Could anyone share some light on this topic please?
What Breed? / What Colors? this would be helpful
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 am

kninebirddog wrote:
Rampage wrote:I would like to no more about this colour. My bitch just had a litter and has had 4 out of 8 pups with this colour. In her last litter she had 3. We use the same sire both times. Could anyone share some light on this topic please?
Gelber brand is tri coloration in gsps.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 am

ACooper wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:
Gelber brand is tri coloration in gsps.
Ok Thanks is a new one on me. I will bow out of this one
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:59 am

I would also be curious on the pedigree, but from the spelling of "colour" I will assume the OP is not from the States.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 am

It is not tricolor, although that term is often used in setters to denote a similar pattern. It is a variation on the "tan" pattern. It is a recessive with modified expression and similar patterns can be found in every dog that carries self (solid) colored coat pattern. It is a marking on a darker coat, not an overall bleached out dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:58 am

I have one dog with the marking. He is a linebred Clown grandson, solid liver, with Esser's Chick also on his mother's bottom side. Bilaterally, on his inside lower forearms and inside lower thighs, he has lightened as he has matured. In bright natural light, you can also detect a lighter spot on each brow. He did not develop this until he was nearly four, a year ago. The pattern is distinct and delineated. There are no markings on his chest, lower legs, or under his tail. The color is closest to the "deadgrass" color of Chesapeake Bay retrievers and shows no indication of red. His base color is the lighter phase of liver, not the bittersweet chocolate tone.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 am

ACooper wrote:I would also be curious on the pedigree, but from the spelling of "colour" I will assume the OP is not from the States.
I believe he is from Austrailia

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Rampage

Post by Rampage » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi yes sorry I am from Australia. Like I said I am new to everything and don't want to have arguments with people. The pups are German shorthaired pointers . I bred my female because her nature was so good and was told to by a vet. I was also heading that gelber brand was excepted by the German standards but not by the akc, however my dogs are not show dogs their just pets. If my bitch never had pups of this colour no one would dout the pureness of the pups. There must of been pointers with this colour before otherwise they would not mention it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:53 pm

There has been much discussion in the past over gelber brand. It happens so rarely it makes people curious when it does happen.

Can you post picture of the puppies? Many of us would be interested to see them.

From the book Der Deutsch-Kurzhaar
"Tricoloured dogs have certainly appeared in GSP litters. Two very famous and important sires, Artus Sand (Germany) and Bob Koge (Denmark) had close relatives described as "tricoloured" (Maxwell, 1965 and Burns, 1952). In Artus' case, it was his sister, Atta Sand, and in the case of Bob, both his sire, Hestehaven's Rap and an unnamed uncle were so coloured. Presumably, since the pattern is governed by a recessive gene allele there may still be GSPs carrying the gene. If two such animals chanced to mate, then perfectly legitimate tricoloured pups could appear. No doubt such pups would cause great consternation for their breeder, however."

Rampage

Post by Rampage » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm

This picture is from my females last litter in which she had 3 gelber brand pups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm

There is a genetic anomaly that often gets mislabled as gelber brand. In that case, the dog is missing the dilute black (liver) and the color is a faded tan overall, roan and solid both.

There should be no reason to question the purity of the breeding. Sometimes you just have one of those days when your genes don't fit. :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Now that I've actually viewed the photo, I would bet that there is absolutely no English pointer in that pup.

Rampage

Post by Rampage » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:08 am

I saw a picture of a pup on here that was from thunderhead and he was a gelber brand colour and i noticed people asking him to so the papers, so he did but no one was happy with that either then they wanted a blood test done. What would it take to prove that sometimes these things just happen and it should be a good thing not a bad this i think these dogs have style to them. what should colour matter anyway as long as the dog does his or her job.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BirdDogJoe

Post by BirdDogJoe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Is this Gelber brand?
IMG_0545.JPG

BirdDogJoe

Post by BirdDogJoe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:59 pm

IMG_0545.JPG
Is this Gelber Brand?

loubradt

Post by loubradt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:16 pm

This just looks like normal liver/white ticked to me. Nothing like Gelber

Jono75

Post by Jono75 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:03 am

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202207 ... 2dc59e.jpg[/IMG]
This is my boy, also in Australia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jono75