Male Vs. Female GSP better hunter?

angmazz78

Male Vs. Female GSP better hunter?

Post by angmazz78 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:44 pm

I am purchasing a puppy in early July. What I am looking for is advice on selecting a male or female German Shorthaired Pointer. The pup will be the first hunting dog I have ever owned and I plan on training him or her to be mainly a pheseant dog. Any advice would be appreciated.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:20 pm

There might be a hundred reasons for picking a male or a female but how well they hunt isn't one of them. There just isn't any difference. And welcome to the board.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

angmazz78

Post by angmazz78 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I have heard so many different things from so many different palces. I want to do this the correct way so I am trying to start off on the right foot

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:42 pm

Have to also agree with Ezzy. More important is to pick the breeder who produces the qualities in a dog that you are looking for and have him choose the litter and or pup that best suits what you want. Male or Female has no bearing on hunting ability.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:11 am

A good dog is a good dog, male or female. The only knock against females is that they come into heat. It's not a good idea to run a bitch in heat. She may stray, (some go looking for it!) and when she gets back, may be knocked up. :( :o If she comes in during hunting season, you will be without a dog or you can roll the dice.

If you aren't going to breed your dog, then you should probably spay or neuter it, whichever you get. Then you won't have the heat cycle problems.

As far as one maturing, or hunting earlier than the other. I treat all dogs as individuals, not even paying attention to sex. Some mature faster than others.

The most important thing is to pick the litter that is right for you.

PM sent

Doug

angmazz78

Re: Male Vs. Female GSP better hunter?

Post by angmazz78 » Tue May 06, 2008 9:09 am

Not to rehash the topic, but I spoke to someone a few days ago about bringing my puppy home soon and they suggested that I look into a girl as they are more prone to stick closer to the house and less likely to wander. Has anybody ever heard this before? I live directly outside a wildlife management area that is stocked all season long with birds, so I really do not want to take a chance of the dog running off etc.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue May 06, 2008 9:57 am

No difference, in my experience. The most independent dog that I've ever owned was female.

What you need is a good fence.

Greg J.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 06, 2008 10:36 am

Our bitches always come into heat just before or during the hunting season. We run them with no problems but do not put them in the field with a fertile male or near any other hunters with dogs we don't know. In the last five years of hunting I've only had to pick up a female once due to other unknown dogs in the vacinity.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

angmazz78

Post by angmazz78 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:What you need is a good fence.
That would solve the problem for sure. I think I am going to run somethig similar to a clothesline from my house to the far end of the yard and clip a long cord to that; giving the dog run of most of the back yard without the chance of him taking off.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 pm

You probably know this already but a dog on that type of tieout will always tangle the long cord around whatever object they can run around. If it's a pole or tree of any sort at the ends consider using a wire clamp on the line far enough before any end poles/trees so the dog can't reach the end and get tangled up. Of course using a wall or other long flat surface at one or both ends works too.

Mark
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Do you and your dog a favor and build a run for th dog. Your dog must be kennelled or tied no matter what the sex. And a fence keeps other animals out as well as yours in. It isn't too expensive to put in a small run and will add years of enjoyment for both of you.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 06, 2008 3:24 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Do you and your dog a favor and build a run for th dog. Your dog must be kennelled or tied no matter what the sex. And a fence keeps other animals out as well as yours in. It isn't too expensive to put in a small run and will add years of enjoyment for both of you.

Ezzy
Yup,

The less "tied down" a dog is the happier it'll be.

I know the membership runs from "looking for a cheap or free hunting dog" to guy's spending $10,000 per year and up to campaign their dog(s). We also have members who can build virtually anything themselves and members that have to pay to have it done for various reasons. Ezzy, what do you define in dollar amount as "isn't to expensive" ?

Personally I dislike tie out lines but they are probably the least expensive for an owner of limited means.

Mark
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue May 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Having owned both, I can say that there is no difference in drive and intensity. The male I had did seem to spend a lot more time sniffing around for other dogs markings and marking his new territory, but that went out the window when there were birds around.

But I would agree that having a bitch and having her come into heat during hunting season would be a inconvenience, to say the least.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:52 pm

Mark I agree with you 100%. If I was going to tie a dog out i would use a steel post and put a ring on it to fasten the dogs chain to. That way it can't wrap the chain up. Ideally then mount a barrel to the the post about 18 inches off the ground and you have a kennel. You can do like Bob wewhle did and put a fin on top of the house and fix iy= so the wind will tun it so the opening is always away from the wind.

Second best way is to string a wire on the ground tied to a ground level stake so the dog can run the length of it and not get tangled at the ends. If you get it tight you can mow over.

The small run is the best solution and I"m sure you could do that for a hundred if you want to use welded wire and limestone floor. Cheaper panels for the run might run you a couple of hundred.

Ezzy

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 pm

I like the steel post idea especially if you want a dog that can run circles around any thing else on the ground! :D
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM