Deer

Stinger4me

Deer

Post by Stinger4me » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 am

This past weekend I took our dog out in the morning and she spotted some deer moving. She took off after them and disappeared. She is a Chessie two years old and has never done this before. I hollered and blew the whistle. She returned within a minute. I am ready to listen to suggestions.

Danro

Post by Danro » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:10 am

You gotta nip it right now. Do you have an e collar? The best thing to do that I've heard from so many people and have done myself is to take the dog out where there are a lot of deer and once she starts chasing, crank it up to a high level and zap her once. Only gotta do it once probably before she'll never do it again.
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:17 am

Get an e collar, and when he starts chasing, turn it up as high as it will go, on continuous, and WELD that dog to the ground. Don't let off until the unit shuts itself off. If he is still chasing, do it again. The sounds that he is going to make might make you uneasy, but it's far less painful than getting hit by a car, or getting lost.

This must be done when the dog has a visual on the deer, not just chasing scent. DO NOT call to the dog, or use your whistle or the dog will associate the stimulation with you. (not good) Just act like nothing happened.

Doug

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:29 am

I too think the e-ollar is the tool to use. I just wouldn't be as aggresive as Ricky Tick says. Do use the collar on a high setting but once the dog stops or breaks the chase release the button. In most cases that will be almost momentary and do ignore what happened. The dog will find it isn't fun to chase them and will also know the pain stops as soon as they do. Every dog is a little different but I don't want to use any more force than what is necessary to correct an action. Too much and you cn have some unintended results.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Danro

Post by Danro » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Get an e collar, and when he starts chasing, turn it up as high as it will go, on continuous, and WELD that dog to the ground.
Haha....that's a new vocab word in dog training for me. Interesting take on the method. :lol:
"They asked, and He brought quail...."
Psalm 105:40

DarbyMan

Post by DarbyMan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 pm

I agree, nip it immediately. Chasing deer is a good way for your dog to get lost, hit by a car, or shot by a hunter. Unfortunately I had a friend who lost his dog to a bowhunter that was hunting deer.

I'm with Ricky Ticky, end it immediately. The pain may be bad but the alternative is far worse.