HELP!!, Quail dying after contact with pigeons

47sgs

HELP!!, Quail dying after contact with pigeons

Post by 47sgs » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:43 pm

I've had a couple dozen bobwhites through the winter for dog training in a fairly large flight pen with 6 pigeons. Everything has gone along fine until I introduced another bunch of pigeons. Over a couple weeks, most of the bobwhites have died. I've switched to feed with antibiotics in it, and also put antibiotics in their water. So far, the remaining few are still alive. Any ideas about what caused this to happen, and more important, any suggestions on how to remedy it? I'd like to get more quail, but need this solved first. This exact same thing happened to a relative that got some of the same batch of pigeons. Their bobwhites all died in a weeks time.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Pigeons are nasty

and quail just look for a place or reason to die

you will need to keep them seperate

can't put them with anything
chukar are the same
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

BoJack

Re: HELP!!, Quail dying after contact with pigeons

Post by BoJack » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:22 am

You should never keep quail and pigeons together.
Dog On Point!!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: HELP!!, Quail dying after contact with pigeons

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:24 pm

I had mine together all last winter. They seemed to do fine. The pigeons spend most of their time on the perches and the quail were on the ground. I did feed them seperately. You want to be careful that you don't bring some disease into your loft and get your pigeons sick or lousy. Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.