Suggestions for Training a Non-Hunting Breed?

PHXquail

Suggestions for Training a Non-Hunting Breed?

Post by PHXquail » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm not a high-brow hunter or gun dog owner. I grew up squirrel hunting in Ohio and now live in Phoenix where I enjoy as many Saturdays and Sundays in the field as possible hunting the desert's Gables Quail. My girlfriend recently adopted a pound puppy (currently about 8 - 12 weeks) and I'd like to teach it to hunt. I don't expect to win any contests, just want to have a great partner to take into the field who will help retrieve downed birds and flushing (or at least not flushing out of range) would be an excellent bonus.

He seems to have a dominate husky line, although there are some traces, especially in terms of color and his face when his ears are down, of a chocolate lab.

What recommendations would you have for someone like me who wants to train this very well behaved, fast-learning pup to be a field companion? We really don't know what he is since the pound found him as a stray when he was a couple weeks old. We have him in general obedience lessons and he has picked up very, very well on what we have been teaching him. I broke out some pots and pans today and banged them, he ran to them, not away from them, no real fear of the noise, so I'm optimistic about gun breaking.

We live in the city, so most of the training will have to be in the back yard or a nearby park. I'd like to start him as early as possible since he probably isn't genetically inclined to be a great hunting dog.

Thanks!

Kiki's Mom

Re: Suggestions for Training a Non-Hunting Breed?

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:22 pm

aaaah...don't sell him short as a hunting partner if he is a husky/lab X. The prey drive is most probably very "there" and if there is enough lab in there too you should have a pretty natural retriever. Start with the basics as you would any other gun dog just don't expect the dog to find and "point the game"....he'll probably be a really good flusher though and this can be worked with. Look to the basic Lab training as a place to start I think.

Two of our best little "bird dogs" are the house dogs....one is a Cardigan Welsh Corgi (herding persuasion) and the Pekingnese (useless persuasion). They find all the quail that are trying to recall to the pen after training and if I am not on top of things I often find the poor souls in a heap on the doorstep as presents. :evil: