Intermediate hunter seeking breed advice

ben.roskelley

Intermediate hunter seeking breed advice

Post by ben.roskelley » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:36 pm

Alright, I am an intermediate hunter, I am 21 and have experience handling working breeds like German Shepherds. I have been hunting for about 3 years now and am now taking a great intrest in upland fowl. I am curious about what breeds I should look into for a first time gun dog owner and trainer. I have read many books and the information in everyone differs so greatly its hard for me to really get a grasp. I know that sometimes it is best to seek advice from those who are equipped to deal with it so like I stated before, what are good breeds to start with when you are a first time owner??

Thank you all

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Intermediate hunter seeking breed advice

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:44 pm

biggest thing is the pup you get out of a litter find a breeder you can talk to
don't get an alpha pup get one that is happy being the middle of the pack to start

for me I love the brittany but again pick the breed you like go to some hunt clubs and trials and see dogs for your self
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Everyone on here has their preferences, mine is the GSP. That said, like Knine said, I would go to a few trials in your area and talk to people as well as see how the different dogs behave. The level in which you want to take your dog can tell us what venues would be best for you to visit as well. The biggest question is what do you want to do with the dog.

ben.roskelley

Post by ben.roskelley » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Well I am looking for a dog that can retrieve (obviously), and point or set. This dog would have to be a good family dog as well. I have a disabled family member living with me so a breed that has 0 fear issues or no issues with being high strung. I live in Washington so the majority of up land fowl hunting would be in eastern washington and idaho. A quick learner would be nice because I would like to train the dog myself with some outside assistance.

Thank you for your responses

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 pm

with all breeds there are some that will and some that won't

high strung ..most of that is really people caused starting when they are a pup when they are all spased out when you get home and think it is cute and reward them for it...that is how they will grow up

another reason though where a middle of the pack pup would probably be better after that it is how you handle things and rasie the pup determines how they will be in the house and around other things
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ben.roskelley

Post by ben.roskelley » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 am

Ok thanks for the information guys. I am interested in the GSP. Do you guys know of any local hunting clubs in washington state??

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 am

Not sure if any of this info will help but it is a shoot to retrieve walking type trials
http://www.nstra.org/north11.htm

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 am

Ben, I am not familiar with WA and the GSP clubs there, but a BIG name in GSPs and training is Dan Hoke http://www.dunfur.com/ Even though he may or may not be the right fit for you, I have heard he is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. He is "in the know" when it comes to GSPs on the west coast.

ben.roskelley

Post by ben.roskelley » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:14 am

Wow thanks friend. That was a great link and I found a wealth of information. I will be contacting him soon for some advice and other information.

ben.roskelley

Post by ben.roskelley » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:23 am

I would like to inform all of you who helped me in my quest that I have purchased a male English Springer Spaniel that was born 01/23/2009. He is still very young but he is very active and healthy.