dead puppies

rachelehman

dead puppies

Post by rachelehman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:41 pm

when my son went to feed the dogs this morning- one of the girls was where she shouldn't have been, in a new mother's pen. all 7 puppies were dead- the weirdest thing, only 3 bodies were there, the other 4 missing. what?? is this common- will a bitch kill another's litter? i know nothing about dogs- these are actually his uncles dogs that he cares for. the puppies were to be his- sad day...maybe we should have moved her altogether to another location- help... thanks! rachel

vzkennels

Re: dead puppies

Post by vzkennels » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:09 pm

You say the other dog killed the pups & that's possible but is also possible the mother killed them.You only found 3 pups which means one of the females ate the others.Sometimes an unstable female will kill & eat the pups or something upsets them enough to make them kill & eat them like the other female upset her by getting in with her.
Last edited by vzkennels on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:11 pm

Of course a dog with a new litter should be seperated from other dogs. Very possibly if you mean by one of the girls that another female was in with the new litter, she thought the noisy little pups were no more than a small animal such as a rat that should be killed and possibly eaten. There is the chance that the mother did it too if she was disturbed enough. Get the mother and litter seperated and in a secure location where she can take care of her pups with out being disturbed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:03 pm

also could be that there was something wrong with the litter..some dogs will kill off pups that are sickly also

but a lesson hopefully learned is that a female should be separated from other dogs when pups are whelped

to many variables as to why and who killed the pups ...protective possessive or even that the other dogs heard the squeaking and thought they were toys

Sorry to hear about the pups :cry:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.