NEED HELP ON GETTING HUNTING DOG

steve922

NEED HELP ON GETTING HUNTING DOG

Post by steve922 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:16 pm

hello im new hunting and new to the site and have a question. I already have a German Shepherd and I want to get a hunting dog for rabbit, phesant, and duck. I've been looking at German Shorthaired Pointers and Basset Hounds. I like both breeds and I had a Brittany Spaniel before but he was never trained just a house dog. Can anyone give me some insight in to the pros and cons of either Breed for what I want. Thank you in advance

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: NEED HELP ON GETTING HUNTING DOG

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 pm

I would look more to the breeder as what the breeder breeds for is the key...you get a show or house pet through papers together type fill the market breeder you may just get a pet find a breeder who puts together hunting dams and sires and you will have better chance at getting a dog that has the base foundation of drive needed for what you want
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.