GWP vs GSP

wyonj

GWP vs GSP

Post by wyonj » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 am

Looking to get a hunting dog and cant decide between a wirehair or shorthair

Will be hunting waterfowl and upland game (all around dog). Will be some cold water work.
I like the short coat of a shorthair. I have heard alot of people say their shorthairs were good in cold water,
but also have heard wirehairs are better all around dogs than shorthairs. Upland game will consist of grouse,
dove, and chukar.

original mngsp

Re: GWP vs GSP

Post by original mngsp » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Either can get the job done just like Howie said. I have owned and hunted with both breeds and I generally will give the nod to a GSP as I find I spend more time doing things with dogs where heat can be more of an issue than I do when cold might a problem.

Find a good dog of either breed and you should be happy.

Zarcomiura

Post by Zarcomiura » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Hello!!
We have a GWP male (1 year) and WPG female (6 months).
We woud like to know What kind of puppies woud they have.
Is it ok to mix these two kinds of dogs?
Thanks!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Zarcomiura wrote:Hello!!
Thanks!
Don't feed the troll...

Zarcomiura

Post by Zarcomiura » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 am

¿?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am

Zarcomiura wrote:Hello!!
Thanks!
First off they are to young to even think of breeding

I will just be blatant...
First they need to be evaluated as to if they are worth breeding
Next OFA passing hips
Then
WHY would you want to mix up what people have spent so much time building to be a breed
Kinda like in the brittany world You will find there are No serious breeders that will cross a French brittany with the American version...to much time has been invested building up each line and each one has its own traits with in its breed that when crossed with the other can be a serious fault like an American brittany with a Black nose is an automatic DQ from the show ring or a French Brittany that is not cobbier and too leggy is not desired with in their parameters and Black is allowed and the darker pigments in the skin.

There are plenty of litter of puppies out there so do the breeds a favor learn about them be responsible about being a breeder

and also What will you do with puppies you can not sell...Do not fool yourself into thinking people will line up at your door wanting to buy all the puppies many times specially when a person just randomly breeds any thing that has papers and comes into heat they get stuck with puppies as people tend to seek out those that breed with a program in mind.

So as for what you will get...really depends on are both parents hunters do they Both have the desired traits chances are you will get some bird dogs..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Zarcomiura

Post by Zarcomiura » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Thank You for your gently answer. Our male is a GWP and when we bought the female the breeder told us that she is a GWP as well, but as the time passed we realized that she has more hair at her body and face, so we daught if she was griffon. I called the breeder today and she told me that every part of her is GWP for shure. We are not breeders (and we don't have to be to realize that they are to young to breed) I'll make sure that both are the same kind, in the mean time don't judge a simple question and take it easy.