momma dog has tapeworms

tessasmom

momma dog has tapeworms

Post by tessasmom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 am

HI im new here and not sure if I belong I own a Blue Pit Bull Terrier and I have just noticed she has Tapeworm the problem is she has 3wk old puppies and i am gonna start her on zimectrin gold for all around prevention of everything you guys on here have such good advice about everything else I thought i would ask you should i give to the pups too? or go with Ivermectin for them? do you think the pups will have tapes also......im so worried as there are 11 of them and they are all still doing good after her not having enough milk to feed so ive been giving unimilk....please any help would be great..thanks in advancefor any help...Tessasmom...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: momma dog has tapeworms

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 pm

No DO NOT give the 3 week old Pups Ivermectin 1 they are to young and 2 the amount needed I would seek the vet for guidance on a Tape worm med only...I wouldn't give mom Ivermectin at this time either as she is still at nursing age and the same chemicals she takes they will get through nursing

Ivermectin can be given at 6 weeks of age and BE Extremely careful at that point not to over medicate

Ivermectin will not cover tape worm either

As for the Tapeworm you need to go over the areas where your dog and puppies are ..as Tapeworms comes from Fleas

Careful how you treat mom at this point for those fleas also Carefully wash everyone with Dawn Dish soap fleas will die/drown on contact...

As for treatment I would contact your vet at this point and get the stuff needed and can be used until the pups are old enough then consider a broad spectrum

Good Luck
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tessasmom

Post by tessasmom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Thank you very much I had no idea what to do for her and its getting harder shes not feeding them anymore so like i said im bottle feeding and have no help...so stressed right now there are 11 of them...but they are all growing good Image

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 pm

At three weeks here is what I start at 3 1/3 weeks old which you can start now
I use a premium Adult food professional / performance style food

I will grind up in a coffee grinder and I add a Milk based Infant formula about 1/2 scoop per pup and about 2 scoops I use same size scoop that comes in the powdered formula of the ground up feed add extra warm water till it makes a gruel and the pups will scarf that up i will do that once a day for my puppies and that will help from having to feed so much at other times

you can also just make a bowl or 2 during the day for the pups to have a little extra but I would stop that at about 4 1/2 weeks

then just have water for them to drink the le bistro cat waterers for extremely small pup at wally world work good

at this age you really don't need to bottle feed them anymore
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:17 am

Here is an easier solution I just discovered when I was at a dog food/supply trade show recently. The product is called "Grandma Lucy's" and the formula is "Artisan", which is a fully dehydrated diet. It is grainless, using potato as the carb source, which is very very digestable, even on the teeny tiny systems. I tried it as my weaning formula with my last litter, adding warm water and a tad of goat's milk (which you can find either fresh or canned at the the grocery store) and LOVED the results. It has the consistency of instant mashed potatoes and the pups devoured it. I started them at 3 weeks and slowly added kibble to the formula as they got older. By the time we hit 6 weeks the litter was fully weaned, eating puppy kibble only moistened with water. I happen to feed the Enhance Professional Athlete as my kibble ....
http://www.grandmalucys.com