help

powderski14

help

Post by powderski14 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:46 pm

I've always had a lab in my life and im 21 years old. My father and I always talked about hunting with them but never have. Now i am 21 and have moved out and want to hunt with a dog. Like i said i absolutely love labs but have been become very interested in chesapeake bay retrievers. I mostly hunt ducks but want to get into phesants and such. Can you help me decide which breed i should get. I am having the hardest time with which to choose. Thanks

garytglenn

Post by garytglenn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:22 am

I know nothing of Cheasapeake Bay Retreivers. However, I have seen Labs that hunt and point pheasant. Not all Labs, but some. Talk to a trainer and see how reliably a Lab can be taught to point or if it will just be a roll of the dice on the pup you pick.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Chessies are wonderful, strong, durable, bullheaded, stubborn dogs. Did I remember to say that they are stubborn and bullheaded? There used to be an old joke that the way to train a chessie was to whack it across the head with a 2 x 4 and then start training. No one I know ever did that, but there were people who sure felt like it.

If you want a dog that will break ice and retrieve in cattails, bullrushes, and big, rough water all day, you will not find a better one than the chessie. Have you ever seen Cheasapeake Bay? That is what they were built for.

3 Joes

Post by 3 Joes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm

I know of a guy that has a chessie that uses it for ducks and as a guide dog at a preserve and he does a great job on pheasant and quail. he works close and puts up alot of birds.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:33 pm

When I was about 16 I spend my summers at a cabin on a lake. Across the lake lived a friend who had a Chessie named Jobie. One day we convinced our aunts to take us into a wilderness area and drop us off so we could camp overnight. We took a long walk to a lake and went swimming. On the way back, Jobie found a porcupine in the woods, killed and gutted it. The more pain the more he went at it. There has been a picture on the Internet the last couple of years of a dog that looked alot like Jobie that night. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... cupine.htm

I got to walk out with a flashlight that kept going out, and a pack of coyotes following me in the woods. It was about 4 miles to get help.

That is my impression of Chessies. A better big water cold water dog one could not possibly have.