The Passing of Campbell's Boz Upland Hunter

Coveyrise64

The Passing of Campbell's Boz Upland Hunter

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:46 am

It's with great sadness I am writing about the untimely death of Campbell's Boz Upland Hunter SH, UTI at last Sunday's Southern Kansas Brittany Club Hunt Test. Boz was still a youngster but without a doubt one of the best Britt's I've ever seen, small in stature, big in heart and a pleasure to hunt with. His owner, Frank Campbell had been trialing Boz and had won several Amatuer and Open GD placements this spring, was working on finishing Boz's MH Title, and was entered in this year's NAVHDA Invitational. If you had ever seen the two together you could understand the bond between them, not only was Boz his hunting dog but was his best friend as well. I don't know where good dogs go when they pass but no doubt Boz will always be out in front.

Charlie Rose had this to say about Boz;
This is a huge loss to the Brittany breed. I've seen, been braced with, and judged Boz several times this season.

Boz was truly something special. Had Frank had another season with him I have zero doubt that he'd have finished both is open and amateur ch's, along with the UT 1 and quite probably a VC and MH.

Frank called me early Sunday morning to let me know he was gone but has yet to be able to tell me what happened.

Boz was in the top 5 Britt's I've ever seen overall and he will be greatly and sorely missed.

The greatest loss is to the breed though. Boz was so young he had never been bred. What a tragedy.
Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Chief_dog

Re: The Passing of Campbell's Boz Upland Hunter

Post by Chief_dog » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:22 am

I had the privelage of competing against Boz in field trials and seeing him in the training field as well. I honestly feel like he would have been the first ever VC FC AFC MH Britt. He was truly something special to behold. Boz just made you say "WOW" when he was on the ground. He was definately one of the top two or three brittanies that I've ever laid eyes on.

I remember when my Ace dog finished his AFC title in January. After my brace, I thought I pretty much had it in the bag, until Boz ran. It was the first time I ever saw Boz on the ground. I watched Boz rip that course apart and thought to myself, "second place isn't so bad behind a dog like that." I was surprised when the placments came out and my dog finished ahead of Boz. I was very happy for Frank and Boz when I found out that he won his first gundog stake the following weekend. The sky was the limit for Frank and Boz.

I don't know if Frank will read this or not, but my heart goes out to you Frank. I lost my once in a lifetime dog in November, and I'm still not even close to getting over it. No other dog will ever replace Boz in your heart, just like no dog will ever replace my Chief in my heart. I wish you the best, and hope that you are up to getting another dog soon. My best therapy through the course of my grief was working with my other dogs. Boz was a lucky dog to have an owner who loved him so much and was willing to do whatever it takes to allow him to showcase his talents.

--Dave Scott

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Sun May 03, 2009 3:50 pm

RIP, Boz.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon May 04, 2009 5:16 am

Here are a couple pictures of Boz from the last OKNAVHDA training day...

Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Very sorry for your loss. He was a beauty.
brenda

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear about Boz.
Bill L.

mrsb73122

Post by mrsb73122 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 am

Frank, I'm so sorry for the loss of Boz. My prayers are with you.
Sharon B.