Tragic day for us

Scott

Tragic day for us

Post by Scott » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Upon arriving home today I found that two of my dogs had a fatal run in with some javelinas. I couldnt believe it. I am in the process of fencing my 5 acres just for the dogs. The project is half way done and this happens. It seems so surreel(sp).

My 6 year old Ch brittany Arizona Fire Boss "Scout" who was dual pointed and a great hunting partner and my 9 year old English setter hunting parter both passed today. They will be dearly missed by our family. I am still in shock as I write this. Its amazing to think only this morning I was loving on them before I went to work and now they are gone. I won't have another hunting season with em, won't be able to rub their ears till the foot starts going. No more crawling up in my lap licking my face they are gone. I just can't believe it.

I am so thankful for the time I was able to spend with them. I don't think there is another animal alive that can make a guy so happy everytime you see them, but I feel so dang bad now that they are gone. Its just like loosing one of the family. I am so thankful to have one of my three hunting partners around. My brittany Tori has really been going out of her way to be happy and help make the family happy.

I hope they are running some mearns and barking at lizards right now.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Tragic day for us

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 pm

Can't think of a thing to say other than I know what you are going through and I'm sorry it had to happen. Thankfully there will be brighter days in the future but for now it does hurt.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:41 pm

Oh Scott How awful :( :cry: :(

I am so sorry to read this I know those javalina can be brutal to dogs. if you want to talk please don"t hesitate to call me... big hug to you and the family
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:21 am

Sorry to hear about this.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 am

I'm sorry to hear of your great loss. I hope you can find comfort in the memories that you shared with your buddies in the coming days.

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks Everyone,

I wish I had looked over the scene a bit more but being as what happened I wanted the dogs to be taken care of. I had previously posted on here about a problem neighbors dog. After talking over the wounds with others on here I think it may have been the same dog again. Unbelievable. I hope no one ever has to come home to this situation.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:56 pm

That is terrible news. I'm very sorry for your loss.

I dug up your previous thread and it mentioned that the problem dog had been removed. Did they bring it back?
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

I havent been over by their house lately to see but they do have at least one other litter mate to that dog and two others that are running around. If I can get out of my downer type mood, I will get over there to see what dogs are around. I'll call animal control this time if I can get any substantial evidence. I'm at falt for putting my dogs back at the mercy of the neighbors dogs. I was hoping to have the whole 5 acres fenced by now to stop all of this nonsence.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Thats very sad. I am so sorry for your loss.
brenda

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:47 am

Rick said if they were Havolina there should have been tracks, were you seeing any?
brenda

Scott

Post by Scott » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks Brenda,

We didnt see any tracks. The few times I have had experiences with Javelinas and my dogs were when the dogs chased them or surprised them. That was my initial response though because walking into the scene like I did there wasnt too many tracks that were visible. I wasnt thinking about what did it at the time I just wanted to have my dogs taken care of. After a couple more friends came over and we looked over the scene we couldnt find any javelina tracks, just dog. There were some signs that were very similar to when my setter was attacked by the neighbors dog. When she was attacked there were holes chewed in the dogs kiddy pools and neck, leg wounds. I have had the kiddy pools for my dogs since 2000 and they have never chewed a whole or punctured one. So that was a bit odd to see that again. My setter had lots of stitches in her neck and legs. These were the same areas my dogs had been attacked aside from their ears. To be honest I am at a loss for sure what it was.

As for now we are really working hard on finishing the 6' fence. It will have a hot wire on the top and rock riprap on the bottom. My female brittany is inside until the fence is done. We plan on getting another dog in a few months right now we are not ready for it. I have a few friends with shorthairs that we have been visiting which is good for our brit. She howls whenever I have her in the outside kennels so we try to minimize that. Speaking of outside kennels I will be putting a top on them that the dogs won't be able to escape from.

I sure hope we can figure out what it was soon. To say the least I am prepared for what might roam by.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:30 pm

Scott just a thought are you sure you were looking at dog prints? Only other thing I can think of was maybe a Mt Lion.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:57 pm

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Several years ago while hunting with a dear friend in South Texas, one of his Brittany's was making a huge cast (we hunt out of vechicles down there). She ran into a pack of Javelinas and they did a nasty job on her. We rushed her to the vet but she was lost about three days later...just too many injuries. She was truely a great dog out of Beans Blaze. Depending on the type of ground, the comment about tracks is a valid one. Javelina's usually attack in groups, should be some evidence of that on the groud. If there is anything I can do to help..other than offer prayers..pleae let me know.

Scott

Post by Scott » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:44 am

Arlette,

The same thing has crossed my mind. I have run a few cats with hounds over the years. Due to the soil conditions where I am at it is very sandy so tracks are a bit spread out and toe nails and patterns are very difficult to identify. However I know that they are around the area. My neighbors have seen them in the past. I havent ruled it out but my experience has been "HEALTHY" lions will usually run from dogs and since I did have 3 dogs there I have thought they might be a little leary about the situation but not necesarily.

We have lots of neighborhood dogs some that are problems and with the exception of my dogs not many are fenced or tied up. So this is still another possibility.

Bossman,

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I really couldnt find any javelina tracks in the area. I know they are there. I see them every couple weeks. Some mornings we smell them but don't see em. Where I live in Tucson there are lots of different critters running around. On any given day we will see coyotes, bobcats, fox, javelina, tortoise, quail, variety of snakes, gila monsters and mule deer. Its a beautiful place to live but it has its drawbacks as well.

I wish we had something we could pin it on for some closure. My main focus right now is to get the fence put up. I have a new hotwire system my dad got us for the top so that should keep most everything from jumping in and out. I plan on putting riprap at the base of the fence to stop digging too. Does anyone know of legal requirements for putting a hotwire on top of your fence?

We plan on getting another dog so I want to make sure things are safe.

Thanks again,

Scott

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:47 am

I believe I would get a trail camera or (game camera) and put up just to know what is coming around for sure, plus you will know what time it's is there.
Just an Idea.