Just my boy

Bird Dog 67

Just my boy

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:24 pm

This is the first time since I've been a member of this forum that I've found myself in this position. 2 1/2 weeks ago on April 23, I had to hold up my end of the bargain............the ultimate deal that we all make with our dogs when there is no other option. My almost 9 year old Weim Dusty Haze was put down due to cancer. This is my first visit back to the site since I held him in my lap as he slipped away and the tears are as scalding as they were that week.

Dusty had no titles to his credit, he had no letters before or after his name. He was simply my boy. That in itself entailed quite a bit. He was my hunting partner chasing after running pheasants, carefully working wary ruffed grouse, looking like a pro on tight sitting woodcock, and making me and others look foolish as he easily followed the trails of wounded deer as if there were beacon lights showing him the way.

Hunting was only one of the many attributes that he brought to our lives. Dusty had the patience of a saint with my 17 nieces and nephews. Whether it was having his ears pulled, his eyes poked at, his tail being grabbed, having "commands" yelled at him from 9 different directions, being sat on like a horse or laid on like a pillow he never growled, snarled, or lost his cool. He was at times almost as big of a fan of kids as they were of him.

Hanging out at the ball park with the crowds or ice fishing with a few select friends it really didn't matter..................he was content doing it all.

And just like other dogs he enjoyed the finer things in life and got into things that he wasn't supposed to.

The greatest part about this forum is that room is made for everybody. Trialers....................gamers..........................breeders.........................hunters..................pet owners............and me and my boy. The house is way too quiet and I continue to look for him at times fully knowing that he's no longer here. Sometimes it just takes time for the heart to catch up with what the head knows.

Thank you for making room for me to share some of me and my boy with all of you and I'm sure.....................that sometime...................in the future I will have more to share with you about me and a new hunting partner but for now, I give Dusty Haze his due. Thanks for the memories buddy............be a good boy.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Just my boy

Post by BigShooter » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Well done. Very touching tribute.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:02 am

What a good boy. I'm very sorry for your loss.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu May 13, 2010 7:21 am

Bird Dog 67 wrote:He was simply my boy.
You could not have said it ANY better...you had me right there! Great tribute...sorry for the loss!

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu May 13, 2010 9:02 am

What a wonderful dog. He had a great life. Rest in peace, Dusty boy.
God bless you and your family.

Doug

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Thu May 13, 2010 11:35 am

what a beautiful dog. looking at those pics you'd think he knew what the camera was

Maverick57

Post by Maverick57 » Sat May 15, 2010 7:35 am

My Prayers are with you and your Family. In reading your post I could swear you were talking about my Girl Taylor ( My Avatar) . I lost her in 04 . These dogs we share are lives with are truly Awesome. Weims just seem to have something truly unique, about them. they just blend right in. No matter what the task is,

HE was a beautiful Weim. HE was truly a very Blessed Weim to have shared his life with you and your Family.

God Bless
Maverick 57

If you are not the lead Dog, The view never changes !

Good Girls Seldom Make History !

madonna

Post by madonna » Sun May 16, 2010 12:09 am

Good morning from Germany- my tears are running ... what beautiful pictures and beautiful words... he , Dusty, was more than some human beeings ever will be- a great lover and a great beloved person in your family. .......You are missed, Dusty- run free... Madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue May 18, 2010 6:58 am

What a beautiful tribute. I feel as though I know Dusty through your words and photos. I had to log on three times to get through to the end because the tears got in the way :(

Rest in Peace, Dusty. Say hello to Lucy and Charlie for me. She'll be the one chasing squirrels. He'll be rolling in something nasty.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 am

Oh Birdog67- My heart is with you during this difficult time of passage. Your tribute to Dusty was beautiful and I'm still mopping up the tears. (Those who know me know I'm a pretty tuff nut to crack). Dusty Haze had a life well loved and well lived. May your many wonderful memories of him help to ease your pain and grief in his passing.
Blessed be.

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:32 am

Thank you everybody. Your words are definitely a comfort and I appreciate you taking the time to not only read my post but to respond.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

There is no higher calling that being a family and hunting dog. Everything else we do should be directed to that end. We just sometimes let our egos get in the way with myself in the fore of that pack.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm

I couldn't get through your post without welling up. God bless "your boy". My boy has a lump that I am very scared of.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.