Dean Florez new tax on dog food

Troy08er

Dean Florez new tax on dog food

Post by Troy08er » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:47 am

http://dist16.casen.govoffice.com/

Senate Majority Leader Dean Florez wants to make animal abusers register with the police the way certain sex offenders do.

Under a bill Florez, D-Shafter, just introduced, adults convicted of felony animal abuse would have to register their name, birth date, address, name and address of employer and specific animal abuse conviction. They'd have to cough up a photograph and other identifying details of themselves.

The registering law enforcement agency would have to forward the information to the state Department of Justice. By Jan. 1, 2012, the Justice Department would have to publish much of the information online.

Florez said it would be the first such registry in the nation.

Pet adoption centers and pet stores could use the information to prevent animal abuse felons from adopting and possibly harming animals, he said.

And, Florez said, police would gain another tool to monitor offenders given that animal abusers are five times more likely to commit a violent crime.

"We think this is just the next step in terms of making sure California is at the forefront of animal protection," he said at a news conference.

Florez is waiting for an analysis of what the registry would cost but to fund it, he's proposing pet food buyers pay a still-unspecified tax per pound at the store. The money would fund a new Animal Protection Fund, which would be used to create, administer and update the website. Any money left over would fund spay and neuter programs at the local level.

If the pet food charge was 3 cents per pound -- which is the upper range being considered -- it would cost a cat owner about $1.50 a year and a dog owner $9.50 a year, Florez said.

Asked about the fact Californians have made it clear in recent years they don't like tax increases, Florez said: "After speaking to advocates, we have become aware that pet owners find this to be a reasonable price for the protection of animals."

Speaking of animals...

Kern County Animal Control will host a spay/neuter event with the Angel Dogs Foundation and Friends of the Kern County Animal Shelters Foundation from 8 a.m. to noon Tuesday at the county shelter in Bakersfield, 201 South Mount Vernon Ave.

The Angel Dogs Foundation will have its mobile surgery unit on site and 30 free spay/neuter surgeries will be performed thanks to funding from former Grey's Anatomy star Katherine Heigl and the Jason Debus Heigl Foundation.

A limited number of slots is still available and certain income restrictions apply. Dogs and cats are welcome and all animals being spayed or neutered will also receive a microchip and rabies vaccination. Between 9 a.m. and noon, dogs in need of regular immunizations can receive the DHPP vaccination. Cats can receive the FVRCP vaccination.

Appointments are required and can be made online at www.angeldogsfoundation.org or by calling 1-888-504-SPAY (7729).

Also to honor the day, county animal control and the Kern County Animal Shelters Foundation have partnered to reduce the adoption fees for the first 10 animals adopted this day.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Re: Dean Florez new tax on dog food

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:39 am

I am not sure this has anything to do with this thread, but I know at least a couple of people who think I am an animal abuser because my dogs don't live in the house with me. Even though they have good shelter, are fed properly and get plenty of attention and exercise.

One of these people is a woman and a fan of PETA, who has 8 to 10 dogs in her house that never get ran or exercised, except for possibly a walk around the block once in awhile. This is what I call abuse.

There is a hidden agenda behind this bill, as there usually is with the left, and I worry about people being charged and/or convicted of abuse, when it is far from the truth.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

birddogger wrote:I am not sure this has anything to do with this thread, but I know at least a couple of people who think I am an animal abuser because my dogs don't live in the house with me. Even though they have good shelter, are fed properly and get plenty of attention and exercise.

One of these people is a woman and a fan of PETA, who has 8 to 10 dogs in her house that never get ran or exercised, except for possibly a walk around the block once in awhile. This is what I call abuse.

There is a hidden agenda behind this bill, as there usually is with the left, and I worry about people being charged and/or convicted of abuse, when it is far from the truth.

Charlie
Plus once again they expect the responsible pet owner to pat for their folly. Seems somethings never change in the minds of the people who believe in doing good by spending some one else's money in their quest for power.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:10 am

Gentlemen,
I sure agree here in Pa we just stood off some very bad kennel legislation, some minor regulations did get enacted however, and ofcourse the dog owners are
paying the cost. We now have a court case because a land owner would not give permission for the new state animal control officer to come on to his property,
advised the officer that officer needed a warrant to come on his private property and look at his privately owned animals. The officer ask him how he intended to stop
him and the land owner took the shotgun off the seat of his truck. Recently very little has been said about this incident, we don't even know if its going to end up in court or not. All this because of the new legislation.
RGD/Dave

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 pm

sounds like florez is a hsus mouthpiece.

Wonder if this representative is benefiting from HSUS's 191 million dollar bank roll?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 am

How do they plan to enforce or operate the system. The state is broke, not just out of money, but dysfunctional. Good happy thoughts and a great self image don't pay the bills. Without dedicated funding, a law is just words on paper.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.