HSUS is in full swing over in CAL

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

HSUS is in full swing over in CAL

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 am

To all on the Brittany Chat lists, especially those in the California area of the United States.....please read the following and check out the info on SAOVA.org listed below. It pertains to many State Lands used for several purposes including dog training, hunt tests and field trialing.........

Thank you
Bob Youngs

NEWS & LEGISLATION BRIEFS November 4, 2011

Dear SAOVA Friends,

In our efforts to add and improve the SAOVA website resources, we have completed a one-page fact sheet on Hound Hunting. As we all know, to achieve their anti-hunting goal, HSUS needs to sell emotional images to the public that portray hunting as cruel, hunters as heartless, and hunting with hounds as especially gruesome. The new SAOVA fact sheet provides a sensible rebuttal to the hound hunting myths HSUS airs on its website and can be downloaded from this pagehttp://saova.org/download.html

As always, we encourage cross posting of these messages.

Susan Wolf
Sportsmen’s & Animal Owners’ Voting Alliance
Issue lobbying and working to identify and elect supportive legislators

HUNTER INPUT NEEDED ON PROPOSED REGULATIONS
California Outdoor Heritage Alliance (COHA) needs your help in our efforts to protect against the loss of hunting, dog training and field trialing opportunity currently offered on Department of Fish and Game (DFG) lands.

The California Fish and Game Commission will soon consider a host of new regulations that will affect public use on state-owned lands. While many of the proposed regulations are intended to simplify and make rules more consistent across DFG lands, others are more substantive and affect a wide range of activities - including methods of accessing hunting areas. Most concerning, the proposed regulations would designate several DFG lands that currently offer hunting opportunities as "Ecological Reserves", including Liberty Island in Solano County and San Antonio Valley in Santa Clara County. Because Ecological Reserves are managed primarily for threatened and endangered species or specialized wildlife habitats, hunting opportunities would likely be restricted. Further, the proposed regulations would affect dog training, hunt tests and field trial events on DFG Wildlife Areas. For instance, depending on the number of dogs and participants, a special use permit would be required with a fee of either $58.71 or $386.50.

* For more information visit the COHA website http://tinyurl.com/3r5xqw2
* For a summary of the proposed regulations, go to Fish & Game Commission websitehttp://tinyurl.com/3fut3fx
* To send comments to the CA Fish and Game Commission, go to Fish and Game website http://www.fgc.ca.gov/contact/
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Re: HSUS is in full swing over in CAL

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:59 pm

Should anyone care to follow suit my response is posted in my blog in a copy of the e-mail I sent to the commission
http://jggundogs.com/blog/2011/11/04/an ... s-changes/
Joe

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Should anyone care to follow suit my response is posted in my blog in a copy of the e-mail I sent to the commission
http://jggundogs.com/blog/2011/11/04/an ... s-changes/
Joe
Thank you!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 pm

K9

These regulation changes are not related to any HSUS activity that I know of. This rule making is a product of an internal DFG group seeking to 'clean up' rules governing the public use of DFG lands (ecological reserves and wildlife areas). At the same time they hope to add revenue by increasing permit fees for almost any activity on DFG land - including dog training, hunt tests and field trials.

I attended the FG Commission meeting yesterday in Santa Barbara and we were able to send them back to the drawing board to revisit the rules regarding dog training, field trials and hunt tests on wildlife areas. I am working with the California Outdoor Heritage Alliance to 'assist' in reworking the language and making this a win for sporting dog people. I expect the outcome to be favorable.

It is not too late to get comments into the FG Commission. You can find the proposed language here: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2011/ - scroll down to the November 17th meeting agenda and you will find it.

Following is a summary of my comments:

November 17, 2011

Re: Comments to the California Fish and Game Commission on proposed Section 550(b)(2), Title 14.

I am Michael Spies, Vice President of AFTCA Region 11. I am appearing on behalf of our twelve member clubs who regularly host or attend field trials on State of California Wildlife Area grounds.

1.Dog training and field trials have been a traditional, compatible, non-consumptive, and conservation-related activity on State of California wildlife areas for many decades.

2.Field trials are a recreational use that is consistent with the stated primary intended recreational use of these grounds, since a well trained bird dog is a significant wildlife conservation tool.

3.Field Trials are common events and all follow the same basic format. They are not a singular 'special use' use as described in the language Section 550(b)(2), Title 14. Accordingly, repetitive administrative tasks could easily be avoided.

4.We ask that field trials, dog training, and hunt tests be considered separately from weddings, film-making, and other 'one-off' special uses.

5.The current process for permitting field trials on the wildlife areas that we use (Mendota, Little Panoche, and Thermalito Afterbay) has created no negative environmental impacts, no significant demands on the DF&G staff, nor conflicts with other users of the grounds.

6.Permitting of field trials would be simplified for applicants and reduce the demands on staff if the WLA management simply worked with the field trial community and developed a set of rules (including available dates, maps, etc.) governing all field trails at a specific refuge and published annually to the field trial community. Application processing could then be streamlined and costs to the Department and applicants reduced.

7.There are a significant number of stake-holders involved in dog training, field trials, and hunt tests who use these public resources. We ask that the Commission postpone adoption of new rules governing these activities until the stake holders have adequate time to give full input to the rule-making process.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs