cow owning bird dogs

Hanshaw

cow owning bird dogs

Post by Hanshaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:12 am

First let me start off by saying I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed..I have a question.when cow owning dogs two ways or three people. who has the right to the dogs..in my situation I cow owned three bird dogs. And now they won't return them of give me the chance to finish there AFC..could someone shed some light here please.. thanks Hanshaw kennels..

jimbo&rooster

Re: cow owning bird dogs

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 am

I have never co-owned a bird dog, but have co-owned a few coyote dogs. Basically we had a contract/agreement, that each party signed and had it notorized (for as much good as that does). Basically in our agreement we laid out our plans for each dog as far as goals for comlpetion, breeding intent, whatever. We also laid out financial obligations of each party, and the split of possible pay out.

Now that said, depending on the specifics of your co-ownership, you may or may not have a leg to stand on when it comes to going to get a dog or whatever it is you would like to do...... but, if you feel you have a right the only other option is lawyer up and see what happens.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Hanshaw

Post by Hanshaw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks Jim..all entries dog food and vet bills have been split.the portions just won't give me my time with the dogs.I'm the breeder and registered owner before co owning.thanks for the info

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:58 am

Co-ownership applies to the registry only when it comes to breeding rights. It takes one signature to breed a male and two to breed a female. (that applies to 2 owners on the female, im not sure the 3rd owner can chamge anything) Posession is still the law of actual ownership and even a contract cannot change much without hiring a lawyer and fighting it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am

I co-own 1 officially per AKC. We spelled out details in the beginning with a contract. This dog's owner was burned pretty badly on a previous co-own situation by not being able to get the dog back. I was surprised they wanted to try again, but glad. I believe thus far our arrangement has been good for us both. Details hashed out well and plans all up front. No issues so far. They are doing well by him and I believe he is happy and is successful so far.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:02 am

All I will say is GOOD LUCK!! Never will I co-own,to many problems can arise.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:52 am

I think the word "owned" is the problem. If you sold the dog then the person who bought it actually "own"s it. If you gave it away then the person that you gave it to, own's it. Co-owning a dog per AKC is simply a way to control breeding rights and it will not protect you in any other way outside of the AKC. You no longer OWN the dog once you make an exchange. PERIOD.

Co-Owning is simple but it seems that some people just dont understand what it means and expect too much.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:00 am

I always find it irritating when people act as the internet grammar/spelling police, but the title to this thread is funny. I honestly opened this thread thinking that I was going to read something about a cow and a dog.

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Student learning English, reading in class:

"Everyone has cows in their lives.
Cows at home.
Cows at work.
Cows in our families.
Cows can invade anywhere.
But how do we get rid of the cows?

Teacher:

"Chaos", It is pronounced Chaos"

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:19 pm

never.. herd.. of this why would anyone want to get messed up in something this. my dogs are mine. and your dogs can be yours

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:06 pm

rinker wrote:I always find it irritating when people act as the internet grammar/spelling police, but the title to this thread is funny. I honestly opened this thread thinking that I was going to read something about a cow and a dog.
Me too :D
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:47 pm

I thought I'd see pictures of blue heelers!

Anyway, I think the co-owners need to have a written contract. I know a few folks that co-own dogs and they're pretty transparent about what's happening (with one, the owner FT's but doesn't show so the co-owner does all the showing) with the other lady I know, she just maintains breeding decisions, but the owner that keeps the dog does the showing and the testing. I think the one with the lady is pretty laid out in a contract, but the other guys just play it by ear. I think I a written contract is the way to go - people often forget what they agreed to years later.