Where to get birds in Georgia

jhoughton

Where to get birds in Georgia

Post by jhoughton » Tue May 17, 2005 7:23 am

I live in Marietta and am having a tough time rounding up any pigeons at all. Does anyone know where I can buy or catch pigeons? I would rather get some quail, but my two quail connections won't have any until August.

Also, if anyone would like to get together around the Atlanta area for some training or bird catching, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jay

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue May 17, 2005 11:15 pm

Are you looking to buy feral pigeons or homing pigeons?

jhoughton

Anything that will fly...

Post by jhoughton » Wed May 18, 2005 4:14 am

I am looking for either. Obviously homing pigeons would be better, but wild birds wold be fine also.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 18, 2005 10:41 am

I caught all the p's I needed in Kennesaw under a bridge. Its easy and I've got a tutorial in progress. I'll post it later.

Grant

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed May 18, 2005 11:17 am

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed May 18, 2005 9:52 pm

If you are wanting to get homing pigeons build a loft. lcsupply.com has plans to build a functional loft that isnt to large and will house enough birds to do reasonable training (Get the books they have on the training secrets). Then go to azpigeon.org and post a want ad in their classified section that you are looking for homing/racing pigeons. I would urge that you not mention your purpose for these birds as most pigeon fanciers are offended and will not sell you birds. Most birds will run you about $20-30 a piece. they will ship them to you via priority mail (usps). This will usually run up to about $60 for shipping depending on how many you buy. You will have the birds in about 3 days. I got mine in 2. Make sure you get equal numbers of cocks and hens. You could spend a bit more and get breeding pairs and that will cut down on waiting time for young birds that will home to your loft only.
Once you get birds all you have to do is feed and water them and wait till they lay some eggs and within about 30 days of haching you can teach the birds to trap through the one way door, then start letting them fly and start using them with pup.
If you decide you dont want the pigeons after pup is working wild birds then you can resell them or let other people use them, or keep them on hand to get pup finished in to an all out brag dog.
This sounds like a lot of work and waiting but it will be worth it.
If you dont want to get this type of birds then you will have to rely on catching enough by putting traps out all over and spend alot of time going to these locations checking to see if you have caught any.
Hope this helps
Casper

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed May 18, 2005 10:06 pm

http://www.garpc.org/

This is the url for a local racing club. There is a list of people with their phone #'s. You can try calling them to see if they know of anyone that has some birds they would be willing to sell. If you call any of these people DO NOT tell them they will be used for dog training just tell them you are intersted in getting into their sport of racing pigeons and some one might help you out.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sun May 22, 2005 7:17 pm

jhoughton
check out kevin's idea in sight pointing. heres a website for gamebirds.http://www.shotgunsports.com/breeders/bgeorgia.htm
good luck
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

jhoughton

Finally got some birds

Post by jhoughton » Mon May 23, 2005 9:00 am

I finally found a feed storethat is letting me set my trap up on Sundays while they are closed. This past Sunday 8 birds in 3 hours. What a differnece the pigeons make over quail for training.

Thanks to all for your help.

grant
GDF Junkie

Re: Finally got some birds

Post by grant » Mon May 23, 2005 10:07 am

jhoughton wrote:I finally found a feed storethat is letting me set my trap up on Sundays while they are closed. This past Sunday 8 birds in 3 hours. What a differnece the pigeons make over quail for training.

Thanks to all for your help.
Jay,

Do you mind sharing your method you used to catch the birds?

Grant

jhoughton

How I caught Pigeons...

Post by jhoughton » Mon May 23, 2005 12:24 pm

Grant...no problem on sharing the method...while driving around looking for bridges with signs of pigeons, I came across a feed store that had a lot of pigeons on the power lines surrounding it. I assumed they were eating any seed that got loose in the parking lot.

I asked the store owner if I could setup a trap in the parking lot while they were closed on Sunday. I stopped at the QT on the way to the store and picked up some popcorn as bait. Put a bunch of it at the entrances but the lions share was inside the trap. I put some fishing line on one of the trap doors and held it open with a slip knot that would drop the trap door when I pulled. Once I got a single pigeon to go in, they all lined up and started walking through both trap doors.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon May 23, 2005 12:27 pm

Awesome. Thats the fastest catch I've seen!