About this site

gar-dog

About this site

Post by gar-dog » Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Well we recently had an interesting, trollish thread that prompted me to think about this site and the people on it.

A year and a half ago I decided I wanted a birddog so my son and I could go hit the woods together and enjoy a terrific pastime. While I had hunted over many dogs, I really didn't know anything about them, or what breeds would be suitable. Living in suburban NJ, it's not like all of my neighbors are hunters. But as I am a Texan through and through, and even though I work in NYC, I am a closet redneck. And as a result of my locale, I felt "alone" in trying to go through the process of educating myself and making a good decision.

I found comfort in this site, where in a matter of minutes I would have several answers to my newbie questions. While some of you are professional trainers and breeders, not one of you were EVER condescending to me and people gave me the information which was the foundation for my confidence in making a decision. I got a dog and so many of you helped guide me through the "new puppy" process and now through the training process. I find GDF INVALUABLE as a resource. I try to give back when I can, provide a little humor from time to time, and share my experiences with my dog with others.

Hunting over my own dog will add a new dimension to my life and the time I can spend with my boys and friends. I couldn't have gotten here without you folks. When I nail that first grouse or pheasant over Ginger this Fall I'll know it was all worth it. So consider this a big thank you and shout-out to all of you on this site!
Cheers!
Gary

natetnc

Re: About this site

Post by natetnc » Fri May 30, 2008 9:40 pm

gar-dog wrote:I am a closet redneck.
you should come out :lol: , i did and it felt great. its there they just couldn't see it because of the collar. the look on their face, and then the reply, you.....hunt? :lol: :lol:

seriously though i am in the same boat and this place is great. i used to search endlessly on the net for questions that are now sometimes answered in minutes. i thank you and my boss thanks you :lol:

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat May 31, 2008 10:02 am

I'll second that. 8)
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:29 am

Amen to that! No matter how much or how little someone knows this is a great site! :D
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat May 31, 2008 10:56 am

Agreed!!! Thanks Gar ( Gary) for pointing out what a neat place this is to spend time :wink:

What makes this forum so great, at least to me, is the diversity of the members and the fact that it is not breed specific. Breed specific forums tend to feel a bit clique-ish, especially to a newbie who is already a tad over whelmed and perhaps maybe even a little intimidated. The diversity of this membership is how we, as a group have the power to offer up experience and insight from so many different angles. 8) Which is most helpful when we are seeking answers to our questions, validation for our successes and emotional support in our times of loss and need.

Being able to meet so many of you this past spring has been an especially terrific perk to being a member here. This is a truly terrifc bunch of bird dog folks and we are so blessed to have this forum. Thanks to the powers that keep this site up and humming along :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The GDF family is really that...a wonderful family!!

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sat May 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Gary,
You hit the nail right on the head. GDF is a great site. I have hunted my whole life, but my field trial / Hunt test knowledge was limited. When I joined GDF, I asked questions and half expecting to get a little slack becouse the questions seemed quite elementary. Not even close. No matter what your level of expertise is, there is a large number of bird dog lovers ready to help out, and lots of help is what I got. I asked a question regarding the AKC points system for trials and in a matter of 2 days, I was an expert.
Great people, awesome advice, and some thought provoking posts which have made me a better dog owner, hunter, and student of the field trial game. I look forward to logging in every night to see what is happening around the country.
Bill L.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sat May 31, 2008 2:54 pm

no better forum around. you can ask anything and not feel stupid.keep up the good work.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:39 pm

I agree with gar-dog wholeheartedly. I'm also a first time gundog owner and this forum is so valuable to me. I haven't posted much but I have spent hours searching and reading. What I found was very helpful. Thanks to all!

edondero

Post by edondero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:38 pm

I agree. I don't have a fraction of the knowledge that the people on this board do. Ok, honestly, I've never shot a bird in my life. But I hang out here and enjoy the intelligent conversation and debates and enjoy sharing love for the dogs. I got railed when I asked my first question and admited that I don't hunt with my dogs, people told me to get a fluff ball and leave the hunting dogs to do what they were bred to do. Well, since then I have been getting more and more into working my dogs and next season I will be hunting. People have been helpful, funny, and I have enjoyed meeting some of the members in person. I think Grant obviously works hard and it pays off for everyone. Thanks!