A little about you...

fdsjr

A little about you...

Post by fdsjr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:41 am

Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like this??

birddog

Post by birddog » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:18 am

fdsjr, You go first.

Janet

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:22 pm

I’m 27, and a systems engineer. I'vee got 2gsps, Bell and Kage. Their website is www.rage-n.com

The first year I learned a lot out at a plantation where I spent a good bit of time training Bell and some of those long-tailed dogs. Later I met Brenda and Rick from Walnut Hill who’ve basically served as mentors to myself in the birddog world. They’ve been generous enough to answer my newbie questions along the way. I started GDF because I had questions myself, I wanted to help other people with questions, I loved gsps, and I worked with web technologies everyday. It just fell into place.

We started NSTRA, but are backing up to do AKC hunt tests first. Maybe some navhda stuff also…

We hunt quail in ga.
I play halo2 on xbox from time to time
We mountian bike
I work too much!
I just got a new job
We're selling our home

Thats whats going on here... =)
Last edited by grant on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:40 pm

56, male last time I looked, married last time I looked also, two sons one grandkid (his first word was "dog").

Started grouse hunting with my grandfather at age 5, 1954. Started carrying my own gun at age 12, as soon as I could take gun safety (which my parents required).

Have hunted ruffed grouse continuously since then. Have also hunted: many pheas., in IA, MN, ND, SD; huns in Alberta off horseback, and ND and MN off foot; sharptails quite a bit in AB, WI, MN, ND; quail in IA; a little desert quail in NM; much waterfowl in MN and ND; a far amount of dove. Have shot a few woodcock, but rarely admit it.

Had a cocker, a lab, two Brits and a GSP when growing up. Since then a wire, several pointers, several GSP's and breed GSP's. Trained some of the dogs we had when I was a kid, and trained my own first dog after college in 1979.

Have done NAVHDA ( the wire was an NA Prize I), AKC FT (the wire was an AFC which I finished, presently have an FC GSP three year old, plus a three year old hunting GSP), Am. Field (grouse trials, weekend AFTCA, and rode the Saskatchewan when it moved to ND). Have judged NAVHDA, grouse trials, AFTCA, AKC trials.

Have bred GWP's (tough job), pointers, now GSP's.

Mostly just love to bird hunt. Have a hunting partner who now lives in FL, who is a pointer guy, and two brothers who have GSP's and one Weim. We have a camp in ND and we hunt there all fall whenever possible. We hunt ruffed grouse in MN when the population comes up.

Also have done some shooting, rifle when younger, but got into Sporting Clays, was 5th in the Nationals one year, and have competed in 4 World Championships, in Andorra, Vermont, Portugal and Spain.

What can I say, a person can have alot of vices.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:52 pm

Ok, this is gonna sound similar to Grant's, but here goes: I'm 24 and a law clerk / law student at the Univ. of Illinois. My wife of one year (married just a week before Grant and Lindz), Danyelle, is a teacher who taught kindergarten last year but is moving to a more suited position in 5th grade this school year. She's 22. We've got one vizsla, Justus, who we picked up a week after our honeymoon last June. He was born on April 29, 2004.

I joined GDF last May, before getting my pup, and spent a great deal of time soaking up information just like you've been doing lately. I know where you're coming from. :wink:

This spring I finally quit playing phone tag with a breeder/trainer that's a short drive from me, and have set up a deal where I get my dog trained for free or a little of nothing so long as I help run and train the rest of the dogs in the kennel. Since then I've learned a ton and have seen Justus go leaps and bounds farther and faster in his gundog training.

I took Just to a JH test in February and he was obviously not ready. After this summer, if things keep going like they seem to be, my trainer and I think he'll be able to run SH in September.

He's been in one conformation show at Indianapolis and took 2nd in puppy class. The pup that beat him ended up getting winner's dog, so I think that made Justus something like a candidate for reserve or something. (Show-lingo isn't my forte').

We plan to run him in AKC hunt tests and conformation, but are still hesitant about field trials. Just don't think it's the thing for me. I am interested in getting to know more about NSTRA and some of the other similar competitions though.

I hunt quail in Illinois, and may make the move to phesant since my location is now in the central to north part of the State. I also play a few computer video games, but I sold my playstation to fund a '64 Browning A-5 Light Twelve. Since I got my job as a law clerk I've been putting in over 40 hrs a week though, so all I really have time for is to walk and train my dog and spend time with my wife.

I got a new-to-me truck in April.

Hope that helps! Your turn now!
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

fdsjr

Re: A little about you...

Post by fdsjr » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:51 pm

fdsjr wrote:Tell us a little about you so we can get a perspective on who we are talking to. How old are you?? Male or Female?? What do you do for a living?? How long you been hunting/shooting?? What kind of hunting do you do?? What kind of dog(s) do you have?? How long have you had dogs?? You into any field trials, show, competition or anything like that
I turn 20 in July, 1 more year im gonna buy a pistol and go for my CCW. Im a male and I work at Boston Market, I carve meat there... its a job. Im going to school for graphic design, right now my plan is to make websites for a living. My good friend has a web design business going, im hoping I can help him out.My dad is more into fishing then hunting, we have more oppritunity for that anyways. No one in my parents family was really into hunting, I like hunting more then fishing though. Weve gone fishing on all the Great Lakes except Huron. We went on a fly in fishing trip to Nagagami Lodge in Canada. Cant remember where in Canada but it was a blast. Ive been shooting since I was 12. I started with a BB gun (like most) then moved to .22 and so on. Ive been shooting squirrls, crows and other small birds for a while. Living in the suburbs and not having any property I dont get to hunt much, which sucks. Although my relatives have property in various parts of Michigan so I am able to once and a while... but not as much as id like. Which is going to change now that I have a dog and a pick-up. Im geeked we might get 4 acres on Houghton Lake, with access to 25, but currently the process is not looking good for us. Pheasent hunting is what I do mostly. My cousin owns a few saw mills and has some fields planted with pheasents. He has a weim, it just tore apart a squirrl and killed a fawn, they are comtimeplating putting it down. Ive had 2 dogs throughout my life, both Dalmations. Great dogs I love them, but ive always wanted a hunting dog. Therefore I just got a Vizsla puppy, what a cool dog. Hes 8 weeks now, his name is Bonham, I think he'll be a great bird dog. Hes got champion lines in show and field, has a desire for birds, was first to open his eyes, caught him sight pointing at 4 1/2 weeks, and what can I say hes a Vizsla... :lol: :wink: . Ive liked Vizslas ever since I liked bird dogs, everything about them. Ive had dogs since I was 4, I love them... no other animal compares. They are by far THE best animal, I love how they show personality so much, how they can get so close to you, and they can help you hunt. Cant beat that, wouldnt you love to be a dog?? Im not into any competition or anything, I wanna get my V into it when it comes time. There you go a little glimpse of who I am...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:00 pm

Name: Greg Jennings
Marital Status: Married to Donna; she's in IT also.
Kids: 2 = Parker boy 12, Cara daughter 10 going on 15
Dogs: 2 = Nav, V, male, 3; Gunner, GSP, male, 12 months
Years around hunting dogs: 43 = some pointing dogs, some retrievers.
Dog games: Mainly AKC Hunt Tests; looking to get into walking field trails.
Other Hobbies: Active in Aikido and inactive in skeet shooting; hoping to return to a little skeet with kids and get more into horses.
What's Going On: I'm currently in the process of moving from Montgomery, AL to Springboro, OH.
Anecdote: My new house that's being built in Springboro is on "Remington Way". I thought that uniquely ironic.

Cheers,

birddog

Post by birddog » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:32 pm

Name: Janet Nahorn
Age: N/A, but I will state my next move will be to a nursing home.

I have had hunting dogs for over 40 years. Breeds have ranged from Shorthairs, Wiems, Vizslas and the cadalac of all breeds in my opinion, the Pointer. With most my years owning, hunting and some trialing of Pointers, my love for the Pointer will always be first. I changed breeds because I just got to old to chase after them. My main interest has always been hunting. Once deciding to change breeds, I decided on the GWP for several reasons. At the time I felt they were still being bred true and I felt they were versatile to hunt upland game as well as waterfowl.

As for credentials: I own Mason Creek Kennel. I have been training professionally for the past 20 years. I have field trialed, NAVHDA tested, AKC hunt tested and have a dog with a 3 point Major in AKC comformation. My dogs have been on the cover of Gun Dog magazine twice and I was inviteted to west Texas to hunt quail and the Outdoor Life Network filimed the the hunt and the show was aired on National TV on the OLN network.

I sold a pup to a client who called at least twice a month to ask how to train. I litterly trained his pup over the phone. On one such call he said he was so impressed with my pup and training method he would like to underwrite a training video for me. That conversation is now history.

I hunt Pheasant, Grouse and Woodcock. I used to hunt waterfowl but my hunting partner, who ate them, passed away.

I not only train the dog, hunt the bird, clean the game, I can prepare a mouth watering wild game bird dish to set before you.

I do limited amounts of training today. I work mainly with the young pup of 8 weeks to 6 months to get them ready for the world of hunting.

My world of recognition was not built on trophys or test scores or titles, but lots of good has come my way because I have always had the hunter in my thoughts when it comes time to breed.

Janet

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:00 pm

Ryan
18 on july 28
got a sister 16
1 dog Irish setter named bailey
I live to hunt
I am in construction for the summer.
when I am not dog training I am at the lake boating or shooting gophers

David

Post by David » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Name:David Greenlee

I am new to the bird dog world. I work in a chemical plant. Married for 11 years,2 step sons. I do some form of hunting (birds, deer hogs, small game)9 monthes out of the year the rest I fish (salt & fresh).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 pm

NAME- Al Esgar
GENDER- Male
AGE- a little older than Janet

Have had Brittanies since 1964, Have raised, boarded. trained, hunted, and shown dogs ever since. Have finished several dogs on the bench and spent many hours in the field with the dogs and my four boys. Im retired and have one pup as of now that is dual quality if I can keep up. Got his JH title this spring so now the training starts if we decide to go ahead with the test. Also want to do some walking trials this fall.

We never showed a dog till it proved itself in the field and still think that is the way it should be. Its just as easy to have a good looking hunting dog that conforms to the breed standards.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:13 pm

SWM and still looking :( . I am a self empoyed electrical contractor. I work when there is work and hunt when there is not. I have been working with dogs since I graduated high school making me now 26. I live in northern Nevada we hunt primarily wild chukar and california (valley) quail. Ive been killing birds since I was eight, if it flew it would die. :twisted: I, like most, started with a lab. I left him with a guy that the breeder recommended as a trainer for 2 1/2 months while I went to Alaska. When I returned the dog had come along as expected but the trainer wanted to keep him for another two week which I agreed apon so I could go deer hunting. On my way home I got a message that the dog was missing so I stoped by the trainers and he claims the dog ran off. I still thing he sold him :x :x. This dog was every bit of a FC doing flawless double blinds at six months.
After that episode (of nearly killing a man) I decided to learn all I could on how to make the best of every dog I worked with. I have read, watched, and observed training to its fullest. I have yet to train a brag dog of my own but have been able to help other people overcome training issues.
I am now working a 14 month GSP (my first pointer). we have spent his first year just finding birds and chasing. We are now starting to work on more formal training and he is coming along as I expected.
This site has been more of a help than I could have imagined. I have been able to get answers to any and all questions.
fdsjr you couldnt ask better questions. :wink: we have all been there at one time or another.

tfbirddog2

Me

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:34 pm

Todd Freeman 28 yrs
Married to Danille for 5yrs, Two girls Eryn is 3, Anastacia due August 15th or so.Grew up in eastern Ks(22yrs)K.C.Ks a few miles from Cabelas and NASCAR track used to play in the woods when they were there.Played college football at Fort Scott CC till the knee gave out then coached for two years.Met wife in Lawerence,Ks propsed to her moved to Colby where she is from and famliy farms(3500 acres to hunt).Been shooting since 7,hunting since 8(rabbits,quail,pheseants,woodcock).Took first turkey and deer at 20.First B&C mule deer in 04'.Hunted with dogs since 10.First birddog Daisy bought for $20 bucks in March of 01' wiemador.Sassy, Sammy are GSPs and were free and are both 2yrs.plaining to breed Sammy in december.Done all of training on dogs along with a few of my friends here and there now.I read meters for rural gas and electric company, guide bird hunts for Smoky River Rendenzous Inc., and predator hunt when I can.had a cocker growing up too.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 pm

Phil Salvati, 38

Recently married to gayla,37, a Veterinarian whose specialty is Theriogenology (animal reproduction).

I used to work in show business in NYC, quit to train & campaign bird dogs full time in 95.

I have moved to Oklahoma after spending a winter camp here and meeting G!

I used to travel the horseback trial circuit from Maine to Florida for years. Now we stick close to home and take more hunting and testing dogs in for training.

We own, breed on occasion Deutsch-Kurzhaars and American GSP's. We still hit quite a few trials close by but hunting the Bob white and Pheasant has become much more important! Which we usually only get to do 5 days a week.

One of our DK's has been seen on breed all about it on animal planet, conducting a narcotics arrest then going out bird hunting here on the praries. He is also the only VGP prize 1, narcotics DK on record! Some of his sons are certified SAR dogs which are depicted in a book called Dog Heroes.

We also raise, train and sell working Quarter Horses.

P & G
REO

4 Paws

Post by 4 Paws » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:04 am

Dennis Barnett- 33, married to Jeralyn 8 years now, 1 son 5 Nate .....dad's training buddy!

Deputy Sheriff- Patrol Division 11 years

3 Dogs- GSP -Aspen 1.5, Lab- Sinder 7, Lab- Thunder 6

Live in Northern Ohio grew up in a hunting family, have been hunting birds since I can remember.....recall something about shooting my dad's decoys full of holes while cleaning up the cripples. As I got older started grouse hunting, which continues to this day.
When I was 21 a week before getting hired at the sheriff's office my dad and I went to Iowa for pheasants............I havent missed a season since. We now hit ND, NE, IA, MI, and occassionaly PA every year. I exclusively upland hunt anymore although I do go for the duck opener more out of tradition then anything else. I have run in a few run and gun trials with the labs, but I really would like to run NSTRA which providing all goes well I will sometime late next winter. Paws

Wireviz_lady

Post by Wireviz_lady » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:17 am

WOW the big guns are all here.
I currently live in CO on the front range. My hubby and I have been married for 15 yrs and have 3 kids. Cole 11, Jake 13 and Kaylie 15. We also have 4 wirehaired vizsla (Harley, Scarlett, Murphy and Scout) and 4 smooth vizsla (Chris, Jack, Jamie and Grace). It was 15 yrs ago that we got our first v and it has been all v all the time since then. I grew up in KS and my hubby in SD so we both loved the bird huntin from an early age. All our vacations are dogs and birds. If my family is lucky we will stay at thier houses during season but have to have room for the dogs too! Love me love my dogs!
My husband, Joe, builds and runs ethanol plants and I spend all my time with the viz.
I am currently training 3 dogs for the NAVHDA UT. 2 whv and 1 smooth. I have a maximum of 2 litters/year. This year was my last smooth litter and my first whv litter. Now the new adventure begins!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:30 pm

I grew up in Ky., and I lived and breathed horses. As a kid I helped with a riding school to pay for lessons and showing. Then I took a job right out of Hi School at a prominent stable outside of Lexington to learn all I could. I stayed there a couple of yrs, I took a job at a stable (American Saddlebreds) in Ga where I worked 23 yrs, I had a string of school horses and taught kids lessons and took them to horse shows. On the side I started showing dogs in obedience and got into Shorthairs. I found out real quick GSP`s had alot more talent in the field than the obedience ring, and liked it MUCH more. I started working some dogs in the fields behind my house while still living on the horse farm. I would drive 15 in away and watch a horse-back dog trainer work his dogs, and pick his brain, he would then release birds for me to train with for 5.00. Before long someone talked me into entering a dog at a NSTRA Trial nearby, so I did, did`nt know any rules, but still loved it. I decided this was for me so I took that dog and bred her to a DC in Chicago (DC Essers Duke Von Wildburg) and kept a pup from that for my 1st field dog. This yr she was put in the NSTRA Hall of Fame. She was the dam of Snips (Rip) and I am still trying to figure out which was the best dog, I guess I should just be grateful to experience 2 such nice dogs. People slowly started sending me dogs to train, mostly FF for awhile until the day I decided to train full time. The person that I called to get advice from on these issues was Rick. He was in Az. Then he came east to train at Brays Island we started meeting up at trials and I would drive some broke dogs down to sell to him. I waited a long time for the right guy, now I got him......
brenda

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:05 pm

Tom Kosmack 31, wife SueAnn 5 boys Chance, Carsyn, Caden, Kyle and Ty. I have been at the same job as a Police Officer for 10 years. I started with my own bird dog at 11 years old. "Crocket" Male Brit. At 14 got one more female Brit "Brittany" The two would hunt anything that moved!
I changed breeds about 8 years ago to a GSP. I have guided on a game farm for about 9 years and got my first taste of field trials about 6 years ago? I run my dogs in NSTRA and also AKC field trials. In a short time in NSTRA I have helped my Dog Clown Champion out twice and helped with winning the Arizona Regional once. I have a new guy in the kennel, "Speed" I am hopeing to only run him in Horseback trials.
I once again have taken a real liking to horses over the last year or so. Browny is a 14 year old Quarter horse that does everything but saddle himself. I also have a colt that I broke myself. Pheoina is a Fox trotter 2 years old. Just as kind as a kitten. All the boys love the dogs and the horses.
I helped some years ago get a jackpot bird hunting game started and served as a VP for two years. Around 3 years ago I helped get a few NSTRA trials started in Utah. I am currently the VP of the Arizona Region. I am also the Pres. Of the Greater Utah Pointing Dog Club.
I know own 5 GSPs with nothing over 4 years old! of the 5, 3 are broke and two are just getting a clue!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:23 pm

I live in Arizona...work a pheasant preserve here handling my dogs for those that don't have dogs I have 2 NSTRA champion dogs one was a 3rd runner up and got 1st runner up for the AZ region when my buddy who was handling my britt missed a bird. I have a thrid brittany which we are working towards his championship. Spend alot of time with the dogs and pups training and if we aren't training and trialing raising birds we hunt deer turkeys and what ever else we can.
I also raise britts along with Bob who raises trains and runs setters and pointers...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Dave Gowdey

Post by Dave Gowdey » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:08 am

Dave Gowdey, 44, single, serious bird hunter.

I am the Executive Director of the Wyoming Wildlife Federation. Prior to that I lived in Arizona. I was a fourth generation Arizonan, whose family brought GSPs to northern Arizona in 1965 - back when general wisdom said you couldn't hunt desert quail with pointing dogs. I'm not sure if we were the first to bring GSPs to AZ, but I do know that we were some of the early pioneers. I pretty much grew up with the breed -and my uncle was a contemporary and friend of many of the greats of the breed such as Don Miner and Ralph Parks.

I've basically been breeding GSPs for my own hunting for 30+ years. These dogs have earned a very high reputation among serious quail hunters. They are traditional style GSPs in both manner of working and conformation. I firmly believe that the hunting field, working wild birds, is the ultimate test of any bird dog-and breed my dogs accordingly.

As a serious hunter, I have little interest in playing games with my dogs. However, over the years I have participated in a variety of foot and horseback trials, and observed many more. I have a number of friends who are serious triallers as well - but I forgive them that flaw :P

I have also had a number of articles on dogs, breeding, and hunting in the southwest published in various national magazines.

Sadly, I have now moved to the one state in the West that DOESN'T have very good bird hunting. I guess that's what vacation time is for. Arizona here I come :wink:

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:39 am

Name: Rick Pierson
Recently and happily engaged
I have been hunting since I was 10, I have hunted everythign but turkeys and coons, I have no desire to hunt turkeys but I am wanting to go coon hunting with some folks this next year.
I have been a quail hunter for the last 6 years.
I have one 2 Brittany's now, one that will be 4 and one that is almost 4 weeks.
My dad has two other Brittany's, one that is almost three and one that is 9 weeks old.
I work in a power plant in front of a bunch of computer screens monitoring mechanical all around a state university campus.

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:44 am

Dogs: GSPs Fletcher, turns 2 on July 1; Biscuit turns 1 on August 19; our first dogs, therefore we have almost two years training experience and almost two years of mistakes behind us :lol:
Hunting: I learned to shoot a gun about 1.5 years ago -- and I'm not a bad shot. Boyfriend is lifelong big-game hunter. No birds in coastal Carolina.
Occupation: Master's degree student and Spanish interpreter, currently working in the medical setting, soon to be working in the legal setting (Disclaimer: if you want to belittle my job based on your opinions of official English, immigration, or anything of the sort, I reserve the right to belittle your job in return)
About two months shy of packing it all up and moving from SC to Phoenix for an internship which hopefully leads into a job. The dogs, at the very least, will love it.

Grouseman

Post by Grouseman » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Name: Mike
Married for 16 years and counting
Children: son 9, daughter 4
Hobbies: Birdogs, Grouse and Woodcock, dabble in Coverdog / Field Trials, Skeet and Sporting Clays & Flyfishing
Dogs: Gsp's, Pointer and Brittany
Average # of days afield: 30

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:07 pm

Grouseman wrote: Average # of days afield: 30
I averaged about 5 days a week last year during quail season. Life is rough as a single male with a good job, very few bills and I worked midnights which allowed me to hunt all day, sleep that evening and go to work that night.

APRock

Post by APRock » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:37 am

43, male, single but attached at the moment. Live in North West Iowa.

I work full time for the Iowa Air National Guard in the Command Post (AGR for those that know the difference...)

Been hunting and fishing since I was old enough to carry the gear. Got a Small Munsterlander Pointer a couple of years ago and been working with im to make a decent hunting dog and an excellent home companion for me and my kids.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:14 am

Name/Location: Brad in MN.
Dogs: 2 DDs - Jake (note my login name) and Iris
Years around hunting dogs: 7 - GSP, GWP, and now DDs
Occupation: Database guy - been in the biz for a number of years doing consulting work and some web dev work
Dog games: VDD tests/training days
Other Hobbies: pheasant/grouse junkie and walleye/crappie/trout fishing addict - just got new boat and need to break it in properly :wink:
Oddly enough: I found this site after reading a post from Greg Jennings on another site where he was being badgered for no reason and people were jockeying for the "Most Arrogant Moron of the Day" award. I thought "it would sure be nice to find a site where people want to help each other and offer encouragement and good advice instead of this...lo and behold, here I am at GDF! Great site!
Last edited by JakeDD on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:06 pm

JakeDD wrote: Oddly enough: I found this site after reading a post from Greg Jennings on another site where he was being badgered for no reason and people were jockeying for the "Most Arrogant Moron of the Day" award.
Heh, heh, me too! I have to admit though, I do find some guilty pleasure in all the bickering at that site (like watching "reality" television). BTW, I'm just "Ghost" over there.

Anyway, about me:

30 yrs old & married. So far, our only kid has four legs.

My 19 month old weim is a return to gun dogs for me (and to hunting as well).

I grew up with labs. My family is from Long Island (my folks are still there), where ducks are king. My old man also dabbled in phez and as a kid, I sometimes got to tag along. By the time I was old enough to take a active roll my dad had put away his shotgun and became exclusively a whitetail bowhunter (you'd have to ask him for his reasons). So, most of my actual hunting experience is with a bow. We still kept labs, but only as pets.

When my wife and I got our weim, I thought my hunting days were behind me. I was on a career path where from October 1 through March 30 of every year I was working a minimum of 15 hours a day with a half day on most Saturdays, only a little less often on Sunday too. And in recent years, those kind of hours were becoming more common for the rest of the year.

At the time, I was inclined to adopt an older dog, but my wife had never had a puppy growing up, the way I did and wanted one. So we went pure bred for predictablity. I told her that she could pick out any of the sporting breeds. This was less because of my natural bias than it was because of the following reason: even the non-retrievers are bred to pick up dead or crippled game (i.e. food) and bring it to you. To me that is indicative of the kind of animal that I want in my house, as opposed to a terrier which is bred to kill anything and everything smaller than itself. I know that sounds silly, but it's worked out well for me.

So, it was between the weim, the gsp, and the viz for the worst of reasons...because my wife thought they were pretty. It just worked out for us that we found a breeder we liked with weims and the timing worked well for us as well (the litter would be ready at a time when my wife could be home a lot for the puppy). The breeder we got her from breeds for bench and not field, but we noticed pretty early on that she was birdy as anything and as for rabbits...well, that's a whole post in itself.

Last fall, we moved to a new state and I took a new job. I now work 40 hours a week, no more no less, and get paid more to boot. So, field training for my first non-lab is underway, even if we started a bit late. We didn't hunt last season thanks in part to everything that goes along with buying a new house. Also being in a new place, I didn't know where to go! Well, I've researched the heck out of public lands and can't wait to get out this year.

-Bill

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:18 pm

Sorry, one more thing...

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea...we did fully research weims, gsps, and vizslas and concluded that we could provide the proper care, excercise, etc. In the case of the weim, we felt we could deal with the rather incredible level of stubborness. :D

So far we've been right.

-Bill

PS
I also often misspell the word "gray". :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:53 pm

Grey Ghost where are you located. Don't see any info in your profile.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:04 pm

Name: Duane Maness
Married 19 years to the same great woman
Military: USMC 83-86
Hobbies: Nowdays it's just bird dogs and more bird dogs. In my previous life I competed in mixed martial arts tournaments, raced motocross and rode bulls and saddle bronc.

I was born into hunting dogs to be honest from Beagles to Irish Setters to Coon Hounds and rat Terriers but nowdays am a strict Pointer person owning 13 of them, or is it owned by them. I shot my first quail at 8 years old over my uncle Geralds wonderful old Irish (Mick) and have been hooked ever since. I was turtored by a mix of great folks from my dad and uncle to some well known pros in the world of dogdom and still learn from these same men everytime I talk to them.

I am first and foremost a bird hunter and most likely always will be but 5 years ago started training Trial dogs, I'm one of those miscreants Dave G talked about :wink: , but am more a trainer than a handler myself. The first year I was training for trials I trained the NBHA top Derby and the Oklahoma Puppy Classic second place SD and have been hooked ever since on the challenges of picking and bringing along trial winners.

I have also worked as a guide on both wild quail and pheasant hunts and preserve hunts with my dogs and in the next year plan to go full time with my training and breeding business. The last couple of years I have been helping some young guys bringing along their dogs and have been pleased as punch when those boys have won with their dogs, even when they beat me.

Reckon you could say bird dogs are my life.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:02 am

Ezzy,
Sorry about that, I'm just outside of Fredericksburg, Virginia. I've updated my profile as well.

-Bill

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:34 am

Margaret. Past the half century mark.
Live in Nelson, Sth Island , New Zealand.

Had GSP over 30 years. Used to do obedience, was obedience instructor for many years. Used to show a lot but not much anymore because I prefer my hunting these days. Was Gundog judge - so I know a little about conformation and movement.
Convener of VHDTA (NZ).
Opinionated 'cause I write sometimes on these lists :)
Office manager at local engineering firm.
Editor for SI GSP Newsletter (so I'm always scrounging for articles).
Co-owner of www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/
Reader of Steven King, Dean Koontz, Dan Simons, Robert McCammon (get the idea).
Minor breeder of Polish bantams. They're so cute.
Master sneezer (I shouldn't have waded the river chasing that pheasant!)

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:41 am

Thats the site I like to go to and look at the pics... Great photos!

http://www.trader.co.nz/versatiledogs/photos.htm

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks Grant.

Some really good articles too, hope they help someone somewhere.

Always open for more Versatile breeds photo's showing the dogs working. I like background so people can see where the dogs hunt. Pointing photos not top of my list unless they show good
background scenery :)

Marg

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:11 pm

I have a 4 year old GSP. Best dog I've ever had. She hunts and retreives everything. Upland and waterfowl. Is murder on the local ground hog population also. I'd like to take credit for her ability and style but it is mostly all her.

Not too much of wild public upland birds locally but we manage to find a few about 3 hours from here.
Me, I'm married to Kim who is a bird season widow and puts up with me. Our son, Luke, is 5 months old.

We managed to find a small place on the Rappahannock River in Virginia so the duck blind is just out back. I have to work a lot of weekends but that usually gives me mid week off, which isn't so bad. That about sums me up.
aka Bob

ccavacini

Post by ccavacini » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:57 am

Cary Cavacini
Occupation: High school English teacher-35 years. Former high school football coach-28 years.

Have a six year old female Brittany. Have a deposit on another pup for next spring (Maple River Brittanys).

She's as good a friend I've ever had...sleeps in my bedroom and loves to hunt. My wife thinks I care more about the dog than I do about her....not true, but it's close.

We hunt all over --Michigan-Iowa-Illinois-Ohio-Wisconsin-and, of course, Indiana.

Mostly hunt pheasant in IN and Mich. Grouse in Northern Wisconsin. Make a yearly trip to Iowa for pheasant. Hunt quail in southern IN and Ill.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:04 am

ccavacini wrote:My wife thinks I care more about the dog than I do about her
ditto!

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Bob,
Where abouts are you on the Rappahannock?

-Bill

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:30 pm

Bill,

Just below Port Royal. I'll drop you a PM.

Bob
aka Bob

drwink

about me

Post by drwink » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:42 pm

Name, Wally Shook
I'll be the big 50 this saturday & have been in the Collision Repair business for over 30 years.
I started following dad around at 8 years old when he was Pheasant hunting, we always had pointer when I was a kid & the occasional beagle.
Got my first shotgun when I was 12, hunted deer at 14 but always like bird hunting best, probably because of the dogs.
During the 80's & 90's I always had shorthairs but disappointed in the available land to hunt & the disappearce of pheasants.
So I took up grouse hunting & got into English Setters a few years ago.
My wife, Della bless her is in this with me & we currently have 8 dogs.
2 GSP's, a Weim & 5 Setters. I started AFTCA Coverdog trialing this year & started raising my own quail & pigeons to train with.
I have been consumed.
To get a better idea, you can check out my photo's at

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photo ... puser=6952

Rich Kovacic

A little about me

Post by Rich Kovacic » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:59 pm

Rich Kovacic

Age is 56, I've been into birddogs and bird hunting about 30 yrs. I started hunting with my Dad, he was a rabbit hunter,and so was I until, I shot my first grouse. I've been hooked ever since.

When I got out of the Navy, I got married and got a bird dog. I started with a GSP, I had a few of them, My next breed was a ES male, he was sired buy George Bird Evans' Briar. he was a good dog, but couldn't take our warm early grouse seasons. Pennsylvania's early season is mid Oct. pretty warm. I started to dabble in walking trials and saw what I liked as far as dogs go. I got my first EP female and I have had four since that and I will be using these dog from now on. I must say I was concerned about their range, but I found they point more birds for me than the close working dogs I had previous. These dogs get out there one on one and point, with no interference from me.

I also am the Pres. of our local Ch. of Phesants Forever, I have been at this for 12 yrs. We have a large habitat management area near my home. This past spring we brought wild phesants from SD and released them on our site, it is too soon to tell about broods, we will know when hay mowing is done. We tried to delay the mowing to give the birds a chance.

Wild birds do not exist in our area,at one time they were very plentyful. so we are praying it works.

Rich Kovacic

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:25 am

grant wrote:
ccavacini wrote:My wife thinks I care more about the dog than I do about her
ditto!
As you both should!!!!!

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:20 am

Job: Civil Engineer
Married 4 yrs, no kids only a dog
Dog: 1 yr old gsp who I am trying my hardest train. I think we are training each other more than me training him. I am looking into NAVHDA if I can figure out if the middle TN chapter is still around. I am looking forward to this fall to get him out on some wild birds, he has only seen pen raised birds so far. I hope to find some wild birds around TN or the surrounding states so if anyone has any suggestions on a place to go please let me know. I am planning on hunting quail but may try east Tennessee for grouse which I saw in an old article in some magizine about how they are around in the mountains. I will also go to Kansas this fall to do some quail and phesant hunting. I wish I could contribute more to the site but I don't know alot about training and mostly just look and ask for advice which everyone is great about giving.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:49 am

[quote="Texrab"]I am looking into NAVHDA if I can figure out if the middle TN chapter is still around. quote]

Texrab, you might look into the GSP Club of Middle TN while you're waiting on the Middle TN NAVHDA chapter swirl to settle.

Check into quail hunting on the Percy Priest WMA. My pup pointed a wild (semi?) covey there when we were running a hunt test there.

Best,

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:52 am

I will check into Middle TN GSP. I keep meaning to call someone but have never got around to it. I've taken my dog out to run on Percy Priest quite a bit but since you can not use it on weekends I am looking for somewhere else also. Does MidTN GSP have some type of training days?

gsprescuewi

Post by gsprescuewi » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:25 pm

Name: Lisa Rossman
Marital Status: Divorced
Skin Kids: 0
Fur kids: 3 (9-1/2 yr old female GSP, Jen; 10+ yr old Liver/white English Maggie; and can't forget TWACKIE BOY~ 5-1/2 yr old Liver/white American Field Pointer, Tracker. All three are rescues.
Years around hunting dogs: 20+
Occupation: Office work, Machine Tool Sales Industry (mfg's rep).
Dog games: Whatever they wanna do!
Other Hobbies: Rescue GSP's in WI/MN/IA/ND/SD/IL. Activist for cleaning up dog pounds in Kentucky. Enjoy my dogs, gardening, sprucing up the house, and the great outdoors as much as possible.
What's Going On: Feeling shockingly numb at present. Lost our old GSP to cancer of all things AM fourth of July. So life is moving in slow mo right now. Rest in peace our baby Kate. She would have been 13 on Sunday. She still hunted last season!
Anecdote: "Rescue one, until there are none."

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:18 pm

Sorry to read about you losing your old girl Kate, Lisa.
I lost my lovely old Freddie in April, he was 13.1/2yrs.

Best medicine is getting out into the countryside with the
other dogs and walking it off.

Marg

mark_sd

Post by mark_sd » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:20 pm

Mark Ambre
Age = 43
Job = Sales/Systems Administrator
Marital Status = Engaged
Location= San Diego

We own one mixed breed dog named Skyla who is 14.5 yrs old and the ol gray gal still acts like a pup! We don't know what kind of dog she is but she does have a great nose and has a natural point. I hunted quail, chukar and dove with my dad and my friends mostly in the hi and dry deserts of california. Will start hunting again this year and will hopefully get a Brittany pup sometime in the spring.

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:35 am

Name: Steve
Marital Status: Married
Dogs: Dalmation (no, she doesn't hunt) and a DK born the first of September that will come to live with us in November.

Steve

Swampdonkey

Post by Swampdonkey » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:50 pm

My name is Braden Nelson i'm 25 currently living in sacramento ca. I just got married in Jan. to my beautiful wife Jen.

I started shooting at 11 when i got my first bb gun. I started pheansant hunting at 15 but hunting was not very productive considering my dad and i were not hunting with a dog.

I have one bird dog in training who is about to start is first season. His name is Sammy and he is 9 months old lab/ border collie mix. My wife and adopted Sammy from the SPCA at 5 1/2 months old and pretty much from the first week i was working him with pheasant wing.