Dog House: what do you recommend?

sambuca

Dog House: what do you recommend?

Post by sambuca » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 pm

I just built a 5X10 outdoor kennel for one dog. Next step is a dog box.

Any recommendations for commercially available dog boxes? What size do you recommend for a 35 lb Brittany?

I will consider building one too. I live in NJ so the winters are not terribly cold and the dog will only be out in the kennel during the day.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

NE GSP

Re: Dog House: what do you recommend?

Post by NE GSP » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 pm

K9 condo is the only way to go cheap chew proof keeps dogs warm and dry.

Tim

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:23 pm

K-9 condo would be my recommendation! I have 3 and love them.

Nitrex

wfkgsps

Post by wfkgsps » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I 2nd...I guess 3rd the K9 condos. They really are great.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:51 am

I have a set of plans I've sent to many on here they are emailable Jpeg files

PM or email me and I will send them to you.

heres alink to some pictures of it I am bobm on this site

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=43953

they are free and a excellent dog house

hope that helps

Bob
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:15 am

I use nothing but plastic 50 gallon drums. Cut a pallet in half and screw the barrel down to it. I get the barrels and pallets for free and the dogs love them. I actually throw a couple of 5 gallon buckets in my puppy pens and the pups get used to going in to a "barrel".
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Dog Den 2, or the Dog Den 3 for larger dogs or if whelping is in your future
Tom

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:30 pm

What a coincidence. I just bought a 5 x 10 kennel for the pups, but I built my own box which is 3'l x 5'w x 40"h. I used three sheets of 7/16" OSB and some spruce furring strips and 2 x 3's. It took me less than two hours to build it. It cost about $50 for the materials.

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:16 am

A nice bed inside the house.......

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:29 am

griffgirl wrote:A nice bed inside the house.......
I have always felt the same way, and ours have the run of the house. But now that we've got 11 dogs, my perspective has changed.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 am

Tom,

Did you install a heater in the DogDen2? Has anyone put a heater into a homemade dog box?

I know that with good insulation, bedding and the right size house, he'll be fine through pretty much any weather but I tend on the side of spoiling the dog. I am a bit nervous about putting a heater in. Maybe a Basset Hound would keep him warm.

Brad

Post by Brad » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 am

I built a house this summer from Bobman's plans & it worked great.

Brad

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:46 am

I wouldn't take a chance on a heater because of the danger of a fire. Plus the dogs will be comfortable in a good house. Our dogs were in an unheated shed converted to a kennel with outside runs and slept in bedded barrels. They seemed comfortable and it would hit 30 below occasionally. Think that is better thn getting them warm and then having to go out in the cold.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:57 am

Never seen a dog freeze to death, but I have seen them overheat. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:09 pm

bobman wrote:I have a set of plans I've sent to many on here they are emailable Jpeg files

PM or email me and I will send them to you.

heres alink to some pictures of it I am bobm on this site

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=43953

they are free and a excellent dog house

hope that helps

Bob
I like that entry idea. very cool, thanks for the link. Im gonna modify my current box to match before winter.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:24 pm

nj gsp wrote:
griffgirl wrote:A nice bed inside the house.......
I have always felt the same way, and ours have the run of the house. But now that we've got 11 dogs, my perspective has changed.
I feel the same way too! I have 11 dogs and use the K-9 Kondo and it works great. 55 gal barrels from a car wash or soft drink distribution plants are usually free.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks Everyone for your replies. I guess the doghouse heaters are for the owners' comfort more than the dogs'. Thanks Bobman for the plans.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm a plastic barrel guy too. Made a stand for it and fixed a top the dog can get on. Never seen a dog didn't like to get on top the house. Wouldn't put a heater in a dog house. Oh BTW, plactic is a step up from the steel drums I used to use, even still have a few around!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Bobman, I sent you a PM.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:49 am

I also use the blue plastic 55 gal. drums. I build a frame up around it and put a piece of plywood on top of it. The dogs love laying on top of it. I have some fans that blow on them during the summer months. During the winter, I just throw some bedding in there and they jump in and curl up. I havn't had any problems with them. The dogs seem to like them fine.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:57 pm

sambuca wrote:Tom,

Did you install a heater in the DogDen2? Has anyone put a heater into a homemade dog box?

I know that with good insulation, bedding and the right size house, he'll be fine through pretty much any weather but I tend on the side of spoiling the dog. I am a bit nervous about putting a heater in. Maybe a Basset Hound would keep him warm.

No, I haven't, my Dog Den 2's do not have the heater option. At the time I didn't know that they were available, are they now? However, I just bought a Dog Den 3 with the floor heater, but I haven't put it together yet. I'd better stay home one Saturday and do it I guess. To keep my Gordons warm I put the cedar strips in them during the winter. But make sure you clean them out come spring time because they'll hold the moisture and cause the metal parts to rust. It doesn't get that cold here in Boise. If I remember right It was only below 0 once last winter.
Tom

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:07 pm

topher40 wrote:Never seen a dog freeze to death, but I have seen them overheat. :wink:

I have. An acquantance in Great Falls MT had a GSP freeze to death. He didn't bring his dog in when it was -47 outside. Without windchill.
Tom

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:44 pm

sambuca wrote:I live in NJ so the winters are not terribly cold and the dog will only be out in the kennel during the day.

quote]
Gordon Guy wrote:
topher40 wrote:Never seen a dog freeze to death, but I have seen them overheat. :wink:

I have. An acquantance in Great Falls MT had a GSP freeze to death. He didn't bring his dog in when it was -47 outside. Without windchill.

MT is a bit different than NJ. :lol: I guess I should have said that with proper shelter for the conditions a dog will do just fine in the winter. Anything is possible, not always probable.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Hopefully I returned plans to everyone that asked, this dog house meets mInnesota humane society specs and can be modified for even colder weather.

I had a horrible day yesterday my beautiful young pointer was killed by a car going twice the speed limit down our road. He was a once in a lifetime dog and I have not felt this much pain since my brother was killed 23 years ago. I've lost dogs to accidents over the last 40 years and its always bad, but I don't think I've ever felt this bad.

So much joy and promise gone in an instant. I am probably eccentric because I really do love my dogs all my dogs good or bad.

Why people are so selfish and cannot treat their neighbors with consideration is something I will never understand, the road I live on is posted 25 MPH and the skid marks are almost 100 feet long how fast must a honda accord go to do that? I've observed this woman driving down our road many times at 50-60 mph and our road has many small children on it and no sidewalks, shes a parent.

I asked her how she would feel if she was picking up her dead child off the street.

Just a terrible event, I blame myself for it and I am just sick.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear Bobman................ :cry:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Sorry to hear that Bobman. Why does it seem to happen to favorites?
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Bobman,

I am so sorry for you and your best friend.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Bobman,

I am truly sorry to hear about your dog; what a sad thing to have happen. I live on a busy street and I'm terrified of one of my dogs getting loose. I'm not afraid of much, but that scares the heck out of me. I sure hope the person who hit your dog makes some effort at atonement. My sympathies are with you... :(

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 am

I appreciate the kind words.

This dog was given to me by a hog hunter that purchased him as a pup to breed to his pitbulls to put more hunt in the pits.
That didn't work out so the dog spent his first year and half tied to a stake next to a barrel in his back yard.

The guy had the sense to realize that wasn't right so he knew about me and that I rescue and rehabilitate bird dogs and gave him to me. The dog was very underweight but otherwise heathy.

however he was very "kennel blind" ( kennel blind for those that dont know means poorly socialized, and he ignored humans) he was totally untrained. I really didn't need another dog or know what to expect but figured I would give it a try.

I've kept him in my office with me pretty much continuously and worked with him for several 30 minute periods per day for the last 8-9 months.

Over time he came out of his shell and became an affectionate very obedient quick learning dog and he was a joy to own and really an unbelieveable dog in the field, just breath taking to watch.

I researched his pedigree when I realized he was something special, his grandfather was Honky tonk attitude one of the winingest field trail dogs that ever lived. His father honky tonk altitude another fine dog.

I've owned and trained a lot of dogs in my life none of them were even close to him in ability, very depressing to lose him I was very attached to him.

I really love my dogs too much, they are all I do I have no other hobbies and have given up any hunting that doesn't involve them. It really tears me up to lose one to anything but old age, even old age is hard but atleast I expect it.

My five field trial bred shorthairs of the original seven are 12.5 years old now and I expect to really have a lot of heartache for the next year or two.

I've always wished my dogs would live as long as I

I knew you guys could relate thanks again for the kind words I just had to get it off my chest.

I still have my other two young field trial english pointers ( they washed out of a trialers program) and my crazy DK rescue to concentrate on.

I am going to sell my place and move this spring, hopefully somewhere like ND.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:15 am

Bobman, I am so sorry to hear this news. People seem to be in too big a hurry these days. It's rush here and rush there. Life shouldn't be that way. Atleast, in my eyes. Again, I am sorry to hear this about your nice young pointer.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 am

sambuca wrote:Thanks Everyone for your replies. I guess the doghouse heaters are for the owners' comfort more than the dogs'. Thanks Bobman for the plans.
I'm interested to hear how this works out as I've thought about doing this occasionally as well. Is there a specific reason you are deciding to move to an outside kennel during the day?