NJ woodcock or grouse?

sambuca

NJ woodcock or grouse?

Post by sambuca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:46 pm

Anyone know of a good place (public wildlife areas) for woodcock or grouse in New Jersey? I have seen plenty of woodcock but usually in the spring when they are out of season while running the dog. The seasons here for woodcock seem to always be ahead of, or behind, the migration where I usually hunt.

I have never seen a grouse in NJ. I'd like to think there are some good spots in the northwest (Delaware Water Gap area) but I could use some advice on where I might start looking.

I know that no one wants to give up their secret spot but if you could point me in the correct direction I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just a kid from Wisconsin forced to make a living in New Jersey.

nj gsp

Re: NJ woodcock or grouse?

Post by nj gsp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:16 pm

I haven't seen a grouse in NJ for close to 20 years. They're here, but there are not many of them, so I haven't spent much time hunting them here which is probably a bug reason for not seeing the birds. If you look at the population studies which you can find on the DF&W website, you'll see that grouse populations are 1/10 what they were back then. That doesn't stop me from hunting them, but I go with the knowledge that it is more of just running the dog and the occasion for an armed walk in the woods than it is for a big opportunity for grouse. I go to Maine for that.

The main reason for the decline is loss of habitat - and not just because of development, it's because the habitat has grown up into mature forest and is past its prime for the birds to thrive.

Woodcock are also in decline due to habitat loss, but I saw more woodies in the north zone after the season closed than ever before last year. When I was a kid, we had loads of woodcock on our farm, but I never hunted them. I never saw the point - a tiny bird whose meat smells like dirt and tastes like worms? No thanks! :roll: Or at least, so I though.

Ah, youth... :D

This year, I have the intention of spending more time chasing grouse and woodies here in NJ, so maybe later this year I'll have more info to share.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:16 am

Hey Guys,

I am a first year hunter. I will be hunting the WMA's (Glassboro, Millville, Peaslee).

Any tips? I have been told to let the yahoo's go early morning and then come in later in the day with the dogs and limit out on the Pheasant. I also think a couple of the WMA's stock quail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matt

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:40 pm

GSPVIZ,

You heard good advice. I refer to opening morning at the WMA where I usually hunt as "The battle of Assumpink". At the stroke of 8:00 AM.....Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom... the lead starts flying. Its worth checking it out once, but bring your eye protection. Usually by 10AM most folks are gone and it becomes hunting again. Weekday afternoons are great if you can get away from the job/office. You have 100's, maybe 1000's, of acres practically to yourself.

NJ GSP,

I too will be chasing those woodcock this year now that I have a dog. I will share whatever I learn here. Good luck.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice Sambua. By the way, thanks for letting me use your name for the Setter Club!

Have you ever hunted down this way (Glassboro, Millville, etc)? Just wondering if you knew the good fields to hit.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm

I've hunted quite a few WMA's, and have been "shot" twice over the years - once I got rained on by #6's (nobody's fault), the other time I got hit a little more solidly, which stung a little. So I wear safety glasses now every time afield.

Here are my suggestions for bird hunting (specifically pheasants) in NJ on public land:

1. Maintain situational awareness at all times. Pay attention to where people are, and where they are going.
a .Make sure other people know where you and your dog are.
2. Low bird = no bird!
3. Hunt the afternoons - not as many birds around but a lot less people.
4. In the afternoons, hunt the woods, swamps, and the middle of the fields - It seems like a lot of NJ hunters like to walk up and down the mowed paths. Get off them, and you will find birds where others fear to tread.
5. Be SURE you only have the correct ammo for the gun you are carrying on you. You run the best chance of meeting up with a CO on a stocking day, and you will be fined $20 for EACH live round that is a different gauge than the gun you are carrying.

And PLEASE don't litter - leave things cleaner than you found them, and that includes spent hulls. I hate litter, and usually leave the field with a vest full of it. If everyone did the same there's be no litter anywhere, and wouldn't that be great?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:16 am

FYI, the NJ Ruffed Grouse Society is looking for a few volunteers that will hunt Assumpink and one other WMA (I cannot recall) at least 2-4 times and record woodcock numbers.

I have heard there are woodcock in the national forest way north - you need a special permit, and must use steel shot.
G

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:03 pm

gar-dog wrote:FYI, the NJ Ruffed Grouse Society is looking for a few volunteers that will hunt Assumpink and one other WMA (I cannot recall) at least 2-4 times and record woodcock numbers.

I have heard there are woodcock in the national forest way north - you need a special permit, and must use steel shot.
G
Manahawkin WMA.

Woodcock are theoretically everywhere there is early (first and early second generation) successional forest with soft, wet ground.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 am

I hunt millville (bevans) and have gotten a few woodcok there usually later in the season. I get in the woods alot and never seen a Grouse in NJ . I am guessing they must be up north jersey if there are any.

I hunt Millville mournings and sometimes afternoons except I never hunt on opening day or thanksgiving day any more those 2 days the mournings are insane. The rest of the season though usually isn't that bad saturdays can get a bit crazy sometimes tuesdays and thurdays are normally great. I get there early and go way in the back and find a spot where only one or 2 cars can park usually people will see you in that spot and head to another one . the regulars generally park in the same spot week after week. so you get to know the other regulars in that particlar field. the non regulars tend to pull in just before allowable shooting time and will sometimes jump right in front of you when this happens I just head the other way. usually the place thins out quick in the mournings within an hour 1/2 the people are already done and gone by 10 or 11 am it is usually quite quiet with very few people. the afternoons are nice not a lot of people. and the birds start returning to the fields from hidding but they are generally a bit more spread out and harder to find.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:16 pm

Yea I will definitely be checking out Millville this year. This is my first year hunting. Any hints on the good fields?

Where are you located Briarpatch? I am up in woodbury.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm

I am down south in a little hick town called Leesburg its about 10 minutes to the north for me to millville(bevans) from my place ..Most the fields there are good but I like the ones way in the back of bevans seems a few less people there .. You might also want to checkout glassboro wma if you are from woodbury.. I took my son there a few times for the youth days and it was decent for those.. but its way smaller than bevans (millville) .. bevans is huge..and I never went to glassboro during the regular season so I couldn't tell you if its crowded or not. there is also heislerville (which is pratically in my backyard)about 10 minutes south of bevans.. I go there a lot to but heislerville is small and very little fields mostly small patches of woods and surrounded by meadows, and when we go there the dogs usually end up a mess by getting scent and running out into the meadows after birds and they usually come back mudballs that need a bath as soon as we get home..