Sammy's Great Weekend

sambuca

Sammy's Great Weekend

Post by sambuca » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:16 pm

My little guy had an awesome weekend and I am as happy as I can possibly be.

Yesterday we ran in our second horseback field trial (DelVal Brittany at the English Setter club in NJ). Unlike 2 weeks ago, Sammy payed no attention to the fact that I was on a horse and did his thing. Despite being handicapped by having me as his handler, he went out and got it done. He placed 1st out of 8 great puppies. I was am so proud of him. A big thanks to everyone who posts here for your tips. Sammy and I owe a lot to Joe, Marsha, Pete, Karen, Gary and all of our new friends at Water and Wings for their help and encouragement.

Today we took Sammy hunting for the first time and introduced him to the shotgun. We went to a preserve and they put out 2 pheasants for us. Sammy pointed 3 birds and I shot 2 of them. He had a blast. We just finished eating the birds and I couldn't help but to log-on do some bragging on Sammy's behalf.

I hope everyone here has a weekend like mine real soon.

gar-dog

Re: Sammy's Great Weekend

Post by gar-dog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:08 pm

Great Job! I have been waiting for you to post and did my best to keep the secret. We ran the derby stakes today and placed 3rd, but there were hardly any dogs. Ginger spent the first half of the brace shadowing and fooling around with a shorthair, and finally got it together with a nice find towards the end. I wasn't very happy with her performace but happy for the placement and find.

I heard some people say that Sammy did a great job. I missed yesterday but understand it was a well-deserved win! There is also some chatter at the club that you and your wife are hooked! Looks like Sammy and Ginger will battle it out in the Spring in some Derby stakes. Unfortunately they'll be two by next Fall and.... uh oh.... you mean steady to wing and shot????

And congrats on the hunt! Did the big pheasants scare the beejeezus out of him?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Congratulations everyone! We also had a good weekend. Blaze came home with a 2nd in the OGD stake (25 starters), so we're qualified for gun dog nationals again so we get to go back to Ionia next October and hope a hawk doesn't take us out of it again :D
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:40 am

If by "Hooked" they mean changing our plans for next weekend so we can go to Anthracite and run the Derby.. Then I guess were hooked. Gary, Are you going? may not be much further than ESCA for you.

The size of the pheasants didn't bother him a bit, nor did the shotgun. Hope to see you on Sunday.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am

Sounds like another great weekend, Congrats!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:08 am

Congratulations!!!!

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:24 am

Congratulations both of you on the placements with the youngsters! ENJOY their time in the juvie stakes! And I mean really ENJOY it! LOL! Cause it goes by oh so quickly.....Nice to see more people getting hooked! Kristi

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 am

very very cool!! It's awesome to hear you and Gary are having such a great time with the trialing.