Field Trial at English Setter Club, Medford NJ?

GSPVIZ

Field Trial at English Setter Club, Medford NJ?

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:42 am

Is anyone going to the trial this weekend at the Setter Club?

I want to try and get some training in on Sunday.

So I am wondering if you knew if there were a lot of entries. I am assuming if there are not too many entries that I could get there around 4 pm on Sunday and it would be finished by then. I will also call the clubhouse before I head over just to make sure.

Thanks for any info you might have.

fuzznut

Re: Field Trial at English Setter Club, Medford NJ?

Post by fuzznut » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:17 pm

I know they had more entries than they could take (I got closed out!) so I wouldn't bet they will be done before dark on Sunday. They might get lucky and finish early......guess if your not too far away a drive over may be worth it.
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 pm

I'm at the Anthracite Brittany Club's trial in Freeland this weekend, but have my entries in for the GWP trial in Medford in early December.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:39 pm

GSPVIZ,

You could call the field trial coordinator and find out what their schedule looks like for Sunday. I did a quick google search and found the link on the GSCA club website that listed James D’Amico as the contact (732)938-6508.

The other option is to head to one of the WMAs. They will stock a boat load of pheasant tonight. They will be hunted hard tomorrow morning and many will be killed. By Sunday there will still be birds. If the scenting is good, it could be a good introduction to pheasants. You can carry a blank gun for dog training any day of the week.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 pm

that may be a good option Sambuca since it seems that I wont be able to get over to the club. I may just have to go next week sometime in the afternoon to shoot the 12 ga.

Have you ever hunted Glassboro WMA?

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:06 pm

VIZ,

I have never hunted Glassboro.

If you can get out on Monday, you might try Medford WMA adjacent to the south side of the Setter Club. Its small as WMAs go but a good number of quail make it onto the WMA during a field trial and they are fair game for hunters. Who knows, you could also get some woodcock and pheasant action. Another option is to try the reverse. Pheasant stocked on the WMA can make it over to the Setter Club and, as a member, you can hunt them there. But you cant shoot the quail (they are reserved for the hawks I guess).

Here are directions to Medford from the setter club. Go south on 514. Make the first right onto Brace Rd. Make the next right at the stop sign. The parking area is about 1/2 mile down on the right. If you miss Brace Rd you'll come to a marked intersection. Take a right and then take the next right and you'll find it. I hope you get some birds to shoot at.

We had Sammy out at a preserve last sunday and shot the first birds over him (planted pheasants). The shotgun and the size of the birds didn't bother him a bit. He was having too much fun to care. I'm sure your pup will be the same.

Have a good one!

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:36 pm

GSPVIZ,

Did you get your dog out? If so, I hope you found some birds and she had fun. Sammy came in 3rd out of 8 in the Derby at Anthracite (PA) today. I am so happy with him. He is figuring it out and having fun doing so.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Congrats!

Na I didn't make it there today. I called the club house a couple of time but no answer. I am going to go tomorrow afternoon instead.

I really hope she does well with the intro to the 12 ga. tomorrow so we can go to the Glassboro WMA on Thurs for her first hunt (and the first for me). :D