Cheasadoodles

Skguinn

Cheasadoodles

Post by Skguinn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 am

Hello new to this forum. Has anybody have experience with this cross I'm starting to look for a new water dog my Wachtelhund just isnt working in the river great on upland but she isnt strong enough for the river and isnt as enthusiastc about the subzero weather as me. I've had a bad turn with labs and I know cheasapeakes can be hard willed but never owned one. Plus my stepson has mild dog allergies thought this mix might be a good one any thoughts.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Cheasadoodles

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:48 am

You fundamentally won't know what you're getting and the x-doodle cross will help with shedding but not w/ allergies. What people are allergic to is a protein in skin cells and/or saliva.

In general, once you get past pointer/retriever/flusher, it's not about the breed, it's about the breeder/line/dog. Go find a quality breeder with a proven reputation so that you'll know what you're getting.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:21 pm

You might want to check out this thread and the links people have provided within it.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 69&t=16740

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:33 pm

First of all I just want to say I am not trying to come off as some type of purist, professional breeder, trainer, handler because I am not. I am just a plain old poor country boy hunter who loves bird dogs. But this subject is a real pet peave with me and I just had to post. Please do not buy some cross bred dog that a breeder has thought up in their mind and then stuck some fake name on for marketing purposes. I am not downplaying the hunting abilities of cross bred dogs or what others would call mutts but please do not go out and spend good, honest, hard earned money, on a marketing concept. I am a pointer guy through and through but have owned several other breeds and some cross bred dogs as well and they hunted just as good as the purebreds. I am also neither a fan or detractor of poodles. If that is what you like then more power to you, not my style but to each his own. I just thought I would post a small history of poodles for you and some places where you could look at some purebred hunting poodles instead of getting ripped off by some unscrupulous breeder trying to pass off mutts as an intentional pairing and charging you an arm and a leg for it. I am also posting an exerpt from wikipedia for you about so called hypoallergenic dogs.

The poodle has been around for a long time. Ancient Egyptian and Roman artifacts often depict the poodle's ancestors assisting their owners as they bring in game nets, herd a variety of animals or retrieve selected catches from various marshes.
The poodle was originally bred to be a water dog -- retrieving game fowl trapped or shot down by its owners. In fact the name "poodle" is a derivative of the old German extraction "pudeln" which translates roughly as "to splash in water."
The poodle's true ancestry is as murky as the marshes it originally learned to work in. One commonly held belief is that it descended from Asian herding dogs then travelled west with the Germanic tribes known as Goths and Ostrogoths to eventually become a German water dog. Another theory holds that it was brought out of the Asian Steppes by the conquering North African Berbers and eventually found its way into Portugal in the 8th Century with the Moors.
That's why even today, it's believed that the poodle is related to the famous Portuguese water dog -- a working dog with a long curly coat, renowned for its intelligence, speed, agility and ruggedness both in and out of the water.

The significant allergen for most people is a protein found in the dog's saliva and dander, produced by the sebaceous glands. "Even if you get a hairless dog, it's still going to produce the allergen," Dr. Wanda Phipatanakul, chair of the Indoor Allergen Committee for the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology is quoted in the newsmagazine U.S. News & World Report as saying.How hypoallergenic a particular dog is for a particular person may vary with the individual dog and the individual person.
Although there is no scientific evidence to support the belief that some dog breeds are hypoallergenic, many people, especially dog breeders, spread rumor as fact for self-benefit. Breeds that shed less are believed to be hypoallergenic, since it is believed that the dog's dander and saliva stick to the hair and are not released into the environment; yet this is also a myth and has never been proven.
If a person is only mildly allergic, they may be able to tolerate a specific dog, possibly of one of the allegedly hypoallergenic breeds. Dr. Thomas A. Platts-Mills, head of the Asthma and Allergic Disease Center at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, explained that there are cases in which a specific dog (not breed) might be better tolerated by a specific person, for unknown reasons. "We think there really are differences in protein production between dogs that may help one patient and not another," Dr. Platts-Mills said.
All dogs shed, and all dogs produce dander and saliva in some degree. Even if a dog sheds very little or has little dander, inhaling dog hair or dander, or being licked by a dog, can trigger a reaction in a sensitive person.

http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/Hunting.htm
http://www.redhuntingpoodles.com/
http://www.harmonyhuntingpudels.com/

Loke

Post by Loke » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Skguinn wrote: I know cheasapeakes can be hard willed but never owned one.
If you've never owned one, then how can you know? Chessies have been given a reputation for being hard to train by people that don't know how to train them. They are not "hard headed", or stubborn. Mine has the softest heart of any dog that I've ever owned. Trying to train her like you would a Lab will not give either of us good results. She just needed gentle guidance to let her know what I wanted her to do. Patience is the key to training a Chessie. You can't force them to learn. They are smarter than most people. And when you let them know what you need them to do, they will not quit. They are a determined breed. Not what I would call "hard".
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:05 pm

I have a good friend who raises Chessies, her dogs are very biddable and sweet natured. I've been around them in training, hunting and shows & have even run my dogs with hers - doing water work and in the field, with no issues. I'm sure as with any breed, raising and breeding come to play. (some lines may be prone to being more "stubborn" or maybe just a little slower to mature.....) If you were interested in a Chessie though, you may want to check hers out. Very nice dogs.
http://www.concordcreek.com/

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 pm

They are smarter than most people.
yup! chessies are way easier to train then gsps, its just ya have to train them differently, with a chessie dont bother using anything abusive however getting angry about something he did and he'll never do it again, they're very loyal. a certain amount of discipline is required with most dogs, best not with a chessie, lol they already know everything, lol

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 am

I'd think if you cross a chessie with another dog you'd be taking a chance of losing one of the very reasons they are so good in cold water, the oily coat. If you want a water dog in my biased opinion you can do no better than a chessie. I have never seen a more natrural swimmer or a breed that enjoys water as much as the chessie.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:07 am

Get a chessie ...don't get some hybrid novelty dog that is just being bred for the novelty of it
you will have no idea even if it will hunt as generally the better bred dogs are not going to be wasted on such breedings

Sorry I also am not a fan of the make up a dog those just out for the $$$$$$$

when you start crossing you lessen the very thing a breed was bred for

So by reading your post I would seek a well bred Chessie
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:42 am

First off, I think that a cross like that is rediculous. There are PLENTY of quality bred dogs out there that will do what you need and expect in your hunting dog, and they aren't circus freaks. What is your hang up with Labs?
The only problem I can see is that some people who don't do their homework buy a Lab from a breeder of non hunting lines, or show lines, and then expect it to be a terror in the marsh. While I realize the lab is bred SO much, that this has become a problem of sorts with them. However, a reputable breeder of hunting Labs is your ticket. Or Chessies, whatever floats your duckboat. Do these cheasadoodles come from CBR hunting lines and Poodle hunting lines and crossed or what?

My question is: If your cross comes out really "poodley" will you hunt it with it groomed like this? :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 am

Very well written Tommy! Informative too! Thank you.

These new "hybrid" breeds are making big bucks with the yuppie crowd. Just give them a few years and the AKC will be registering them too! :roll:

I would bet there are a few breeders of Poodles that actually use them for hunting, maybe not bet..., I would "imagine" is a better word! Seek them out. Then go watch them do what they claim they can. Or, go with a Well bred Chessie. Getting the best of both breeds would take several generations of breeding.....! Even then it's a crap shoot.

I have 2 new Chessie pups of my own here. They have been a lot of fun to work with. I can't wait till spring to start formal training!

Phil

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 am

Now that's funny Prairie!

When I trialed full time I always wanted to put a dog like this on the chain gang just to see the reactions!

Trouble is the "bleep" thing would probably run like the wind... Imagine if we could set up a bird and whoa break the dog to scent.... I tried it with a Sharpei (sp) years ago, to no avail. I have heard there are a few Poodles serving as drug dogs... you never know of the possibilities!

I used to get quite a few questions when I had a solid black GSP (DK really). What happened to that labs tail was the most popular!

Phil

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:07 pm

The only reason I posted info. about the poodle is because he had stated that his stepson had dog allergies. Me personally, I would rather have a lab or chessie if I duck hunted. I use pointers and setters because I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest body of water is 80 miles away. I also hunt pheasant and quail not ducks and geese. I used to have a lab and he was one of the best bird dogs and hands down the best retriever, on land or water, that I ever owned. Never did lose a single bird hunting with that dog.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 pm

I thought that was pretty good info on the poodle--with the 3 links. Being they aren't considered a sporting group, I had no idea what their original purpose was as a breed and it looks like they could get the job done...

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks, I knew I had heard they were originally bred by the French to retrieve ducks in very cold water so I thought with the stepson being allergic to dogs I would go ahead and post what I could find about poodles for him. I hope it helped. :)

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Get a chessie ...don't get some hybrid novelty dog that is just being bred for the novelty of it
you will have no idea even if it will hunt as generally the better bred dogs are not going to be wasted on such breedings

Oh, come on K9. I think a cross between a GSP and a Brittany would make quite the birddog.
Just think of it, a German Shortning. :lol: Than we'd be cooking with oil. :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:34 pm

3Britts wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:Get a chessie ...don't get some hybrid novelty dog that is just being bred for the novelty of it

Oh, come on K9. I think a cross between a GSP and a Brittany would make quite the birddog.
Just think of it, a German Shortning. :lol: Than we'd be cooking with oil. :lol:
they tried that it was called a Sh-t--any :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 pm

wems2371 wrote:I thought that was pretty good info on the poodle--with the 3 links. Being they aren't considered a sporting group, I had no idea what their original purpose was as a breed and it looks like they could get the job done...
you want to know what is the saddest thing about the poodle

even that picture that was posted

they used to be a serious water dogs they have webbed feet for better swimming capablities

that cut which looks foo foo actually had a serious purpose of insulating joints and the internal organs and also for buoyancy even the ribbons in the top of the had had a purpose as the hunters used different colors to determine which dog was there in the water..but here the parent club of the poodles were more concerned about show and did not breed them for their intended us only for show ...sorry not KC faults it is entirely the Poodle parent club that is at fault for turning what once used to be a great water dog into a non sporting piece of fluff...sorry my grandmother used to raise poodles over in germany then even raiaed them here in america for a few years and wasn't impressed with what they allowed to happen to the breed..her words ..a complete waste of a good breed she was laughed at when she tried to gear in the hunting line back in the 60's ......the american line by that point was to heavily shown and no longer considered a hunting dog..

anyways
sorry for the side track

as for these hybrid dogs...if your looking for a pet fine...but i would be concerned what this cross breeding not only will take out you may be seriously dissapointed even the hypoallergenic supposed value as if it does get to much of the chessie your still can be dealing with allergies

Loke

Post by Loke » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:29 pm

I have seen a standard poodle in the marsh. I don't know what its breeding was, but the hunter with him seemed to enjoy the dog. I've never bought the "hypoallergenic" line much, if you're allergic to dogs, then keep it outside.
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:16 am

"Hoot" Gibson was well known for using a standard poodle for his Arkansas goose guiding service, and I'd imagine someone of a mind to could make an adequate-for-most-weekenders retriever out of most any dog with the physical stature for it. But when folks start talking about crosses, I'm always reminded of the bit about Albert Einstien and Marilyn Monroe's kids getting his looks and her brain...

I'd want to stack the deck as much in my favor as possible with a dog of proven breeding specifically for the intended job.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 am

Rick Hall wrote:"Hoot" Gibson was well known for using a standard poodle for his Arkansas goose guiding service, and I'd imagine someone of a mind to could make an adequate-for-most-weekenders retriever out of most any dog with the physical stature for it. But when folks start talking about crosses, I'm always reminded of the bit about Albert Einstien and Marilyn Monroe's kids getting his looks and her brain...

I'd want to stack the deck as much in my favor as possible with a dog of proven breeding specifically for the intended job.
Well said Rick. Makes sense to stick with something already proven and not try to reinvent the wheel. Your chances of success is very very small. If you do look back you will find quite a lot of Standard Poodles being used for different purposes. They are a very intelligent breed of dog it seems and many will still work as retrievers and I'll bet most will if given a chance.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jnov84

Post by jnov84 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:17 am

Out of curiosity, I googled "hunting poodles" and came up with a surprising number of hits. I have absolutely no idea how serious these kennels or dogs are, but if you only looking for a weekend dog, maybe it wouldn't hurt to check them out.

Joe

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Rick Hall wrote:"Hoot" Gibson was well known for using a standard poodle for his Arkansas goose guiding service, and I'd imagine someone of a mind to could make an adequate-for-most-weekenders retriever out of most any dog with the physical stature for it. But when folks start talking about crosses, I'm always reminded of the bit about Albert Einstien and Marilyn Monroe's kids getting his looks and her brain....
Rick, am I mistaken, or does Hoot not guide now with a labradoodle? Seems somebody up north told me they were out with him and that's what he used.

As for the Einstein-MM analogy, I'd take his hair dyed yellow on her body but I wouldn't take her hair dyed white on his body, and that's the only way that DNA would hunt.

MG

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:50 pm

crackerd wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:"Hoot" Gibson was well known for using a standard poodle for his Arkansas goose guiding service, and I'd imagine someone of a mind to could make an adequate-for-most-weekenders retriever out of most any dog with the physical stature for it. But when folks start talking about crosses, I'm always reminded of the bit about Albert Einstien and Marilyn Monroe's kids getting his looks and her brain....
Rick, am I mistaken, or does Hoot not guide now with a labradoodle? Seems somebody up north told me they were out with him and that's what he used.
MG
I've no idea, whatsoever. Haven't heard him referenced in years.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:53 am

A chessie-poodle mix is just another over priced, designer piece of crap. If you're a hunter, get a hunting dog, either a pure bred chessie or lab.

You put so many, many, hours into training a hunting dog........why in the world would you want to get stuck with a dog that doesn't want to hunt?

Listen, it's hard enough to get a good hunting dog when two good hunting dogs are bred together. What chance do you think you stand when buying a pup from two dogs that are not hunting dogs? It's extremely difficult to find hunting poodles today and hard enough to find good, stable lines of chesapeakes. Combine the two and you're headed for a very difficult task.

If you like the curly hair, chessies are very nice dogs to train and own. I really never trained one that was mean or that I didn't like.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:53 am

Aren't all modern dogs including hunting dogs crosses? What year defines when crosses became designer crap? 1950? 1850? 1750? I wonder if guys were bitching and moaning 200-300 years ago about crosses. What year should have been the year that after which there should be no new breeds? 1962?

I think these so-called designer dogs are silly, but stepping back and looking at the big picture and history as a whole, why should there be no new breeds developed? Why after thousands of years must this stop? I cannot answer these questions, but it makes you think about bashing crossing breeds.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:35 am

I completely agree with you gar dog but I also think we should be careful of what crosses we create and also that they are worth of becoming a new breed in and of themselves.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Any breeding takes at least 7 generations to start producing any form of uniformity that can be called a new breed. The designer dogs are two breeds being crossed to produce a crossbred. These can be fine dogs but they are not a new breed but just a cross. This is a major difference over when the royality of Europe started breeding dogs and spending years breeding the crossbreds and eliminating the pups that didn't come up to the standard they were looking for. They weren't sold but just done away with. Again a major difference. The new dogs they were working to create were done with a gol or standard in place. Another major difference.

There are some very nice crossbred dogs that perform really well but they will not reproduce them selves, so do not qualify as a new breed.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Ezzy I also agree with you and think that you make very valid points in your argument and also agree that the breeds that these people are trying to create are crosses and that they are a marketing tool. However, I do want to make a small point myself. Who would have thought that by crossing Greyhounds, Foxhounds, Bloodhounds, and Bull Terriers with the debateable theory that there may have been Spanish pointer thrown in that you would get the basis for the English Pointer we have today? None of these dogs is bred to hunt and point birds today and I am not even sure if the Spanish pointer still exists but my point is that by experimenting and carefully controlling and breeding your progeny as you stated that you can still get desirable results even from the most odd array of parents. I am in no way condoning what people are doing with the Labradoodle, or Chessadoodle, or some of the other pairings but I would like to see some new breeds of bird dog designed here in the United States become prevalent, popular, and accepted. Something else I would love to see is some of the lesser known European breeds come to the U.S. and through selective breeding become more popular and available. My wife wants a Braquo Italiano or Italian Pointer really bad but I cannot afford to nor will I spend $1500-$2500 for a pup. Not when I can more than one well bred English Pointer for the same price. JMO

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:39 pm

You put so many, many, hours into training a hunting dog........why in the world would you want to get stuck with a dog that doesn't want to hunt?
maybe some people think it would be funny to see a poodle retrieving a goose :twisted:
seriously though I agree with ya.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am

gar-dog wrote:Aren't all modern dogs including hunting dogs crosses? What year defines when crosses became designer crap? 1950? 1850? 1750? I wonder if guys were bitching and moaning 200-300 years ago about crosses. What year should have been the year that after which there should be no new breeds? 1962?

I think these so-called designer dogs are silly, but stepping back and looking at the big picture and history as a whole, why should there be no new breeds developed? Why after thousands of years must this stop? I cannot answer these questions, but it makes you think about bashing crossing breeds.
I don't think that it is the crossbred dogs that are being bashed, it is the reasoning behind the crossbreeding. Too many people are cross breeding dogs just to make money and not to create a new breed. I have yet to meet a person who is selling a "designer" dog that is carrying out a program that would allow the AKC to recognize the breed. They are simply preying on the publics desire to own something cute and new. I would like to see an honest effort in creating a new breed. But, until I see that happening, I will continue to disapprove of the crossbreeds and the blatant desire to make money at the expense of pure breeds.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 am

Well i would think it would take several generations for any new breed to establish itself, and regenerate itself as I think Ezzy mentioned. There was always firt crosses.... it didn't happen overnight. Anyway, like I said I think some of these are silly, but 20-50 years from now may be a legitimate recognized breed with good and distinct qualities. I just don't think we should sit back and judge what others are doing from our own little perspective.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:42 am

gar-dog wrote:Well i would think it would take several generations for any new breed to establish itself, and regenerate itself as I think Ezzy mentioned. There was always firt crosses.... it didn't happen overnight. Anyway, like I said I think some of these are silly, but 20-50 years from now may be a legitimate recognized breed with good and distinct qualities. I just don't think we should sit back and judge what others are doing from our own little perspective.
I understand your point and have no quarrel with it. But crossing to breeds of dogs is not creating a new breed. If you are seriously going to do that you have to use the crossbreds in the breeding program and go on for generations picking the occasional pup that fits your goals and destroying the rest. And then use those pups to further the breed you are trying to create.

The designer dogs that are previelent today are just a cross with no intention of proceeding any further than to just keep buying more purebreds and continuing to breed them to produce more crossbred puppies where type or abilities can not be forecast or controlled.

That is a big differnce and the result is high priced crossbreds for now and forever or till the glow wears off.

Ezzy

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:09 am

Not to get political here and get the thread locked... but I am involved in the gun debate and believe at the end of the day gun owners should support each other and band together against the antis. Divided we fail. Similarly, there are growing numbers attacking dog and animal owners of all kinds. If someone wants to cross-breed, so be it. This is America. Frankly, I have no use for fru-fru and designer dogs, but others do so I will defend their right to have one. That's all I am getting at anyway. What is happening now with labradoodles and such is just a sliver in time to us but has probably always happened throughout history.
Cheers,
G

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 pm

gar-dog wrote:Not to get political here and get the thread locked... but I am involved in the gun debate and believe at the end of the day gun owners should support each other and band together against the antis. Divided we fail. Similarly, there are growing numbers attacking dog and animal owners of all kinds. If someone wants to cross-breed, so be it. This is America. Frankly, I have no use for fru-fru and designer dogs, but others do so I will defend their right to have one. That's all I am getting at anyway. What is happening now with labradoodles and such is just a sliver in time to us but has probably always happened throughout history.
Cheers,
G
I agree that the crossbreeding is something that has been happening throughout history. Just look at the Brittany. This I have no problem with. That being said, the AKC has specific regulations that must be met befor a new breed will be considered valid. If I am remembering correctly, the breeding program must be at least five generations long and producing solid conformity to the new breed. A person cannot just breed two different breeds together and have created a new breed. The findings and conformity must be varifiable.
Its the money aspect that gets under my skin. JMO, take it or leave it.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:26 pm

I thought when I first got my English Setter and was doing some research that somewhere in the past that one or two of ,and I am not going to name them, of the registries had allowed some influx of pointer blood into the setter to improve the hunting lines and I know for a fact that I read that there was allowed an influx of English Setter into Irish Setter bloodlines to bring back the hunting lines since most of the hunting lines had been bred out of that breed and all that existed was show lines. I neither condone it nor am I against it I am only stating what I had read and I am not even sure where I had read it because it has been so long ago but somewhere the information exists if someone wants to dig hard enough. This was not done for the purpose of creating a new breed or crossbreeding only for improving an existing line in an existing breed but the point is it had a definite affect on the line as a whole so why should careful breeders not be allowed to selectively cross different breeds to come up with a new breed after, as was stated, many generations. We might some day get a pointer cross that might naturally retrieve over water and still run big, with lots of style, with a fantastic nose, that locks up on a dime in the uplands. Just a thought.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:33 pm

tommyboy72 wrote: We might some day get a pointer cross that might naturally retrieve over water and still run big, with lots of style, with a fantastic nose, that locks up on a dime in the uplands. Just a thought.
And shoot, clean, and cook the birds too?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:08 pm

That would be even better and if they could learn to drive themselves to the field then I could just wait at home in the recliner and watch tv while the dog brings home the birds, cooks them , and brings me dinner in the chair. Oops now I am starting to sound like my wife. :D :D :D :D :D

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:23 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:That would be even better and if they could learn to drive themselves to the field then I could just wait at home in the recliner and watch tv while the dog brings home the birds, cooks them , and brings me dinner in the chair. Oops now I am starting to sound like my wife. :D :D :D :D :D
No, not like your wife. That sounds like a wife, but better. At least the dog won't talk during the big game. :wink:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:49 pm

So true 3britts. Maybe I could teach the dog to pour a descent beer with no foam on it and make nachos for the game too. :D :D :D :D :D :D

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:50 pm

Man I was soooo far ahead of my time when I was a kid. THe whole designer dog fad makes me laugh. Where I grew up you had a purebred if you knew who both parents were. I grew up with a Springer/St Bernard cross (wrap you head around that one :oops: ). Hech my buddy could have been a millionaire if he knew how to market right. His lab bitch had quite a few boy friends over the years. All laughing aside once I got serious about dogs, well actually after a couple "cheap" mistakes, I found it better to spend my hard earned money on a well bred dog.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 am

muddycreek wrote:Man I was soooo far ahead of my time when I was a kid. THe whole designer dog fad makes me laugh. Where I grew up you had a purebred if you knew who both parents were. I grew up with a Springer/St Bernard cross (wrap you head around that one :oops: ). Hech my buddy could have been a millionaire if he knew how to market right. His lab bitch had quite a few boy friends over the years. All laughing aside once I got serious about dogs, well actually after a couple "cheap" mistakes, I found it better to spend my hard earned money on a well bred dog.
And you still bought shorthairs. Lesson not learn. :wink: :wink:

Bigg_Redd

Post by Bigg_Redd » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:59 pm

wems2371 wrote:I thought that was pretty good info on the poodle--with the 3 links. Being they aren't considered a sporting group, I had no idea what their original purpose was as a breed and it looks like they could get the job done...
There used to be a guy around here (western WA) who hunted a pair of standard poodles. They were no joke - they flat out hunted.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:25 pm

And you still bought shorthairs. Lesson not learn.
Alright your on the list! :evil:
:lol:

Did you notice the Germans didn't use Britts to make the perfect dog :wink:

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:42 am

muddycreek wrote:Did you notice the Germans didn't use Britts to make the perfect dog :wink:
Probably did notice that the Germans haven't made the perfect dog.

(Wondered how the heck a "Chesadoodle" thread made three pages - "Dog fight!!!")

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36 pm

muddycreek wrote:
And you still bought shorthairs. Lesson not learn.
Alright your on the list! :evil:
:lol:

Did you notice the Germans didn't use Britts to make the perfect dog :wink:
"Dog" defined as that which never lives up to expectations. Why, yes, I did. :lol:

And, just as a teacher. I love lists. 8)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:26 pm

gar-dog wrote:Aren't all modern dogs including hunting dogs crosses? What year defines when crosses became designer crap? 1950? 1850? 1750? I wonder if guys were bitching and moaning 200-300 years ago about crosses. What year should have been the year that after which there should be no new breeds? 1962?

Designer CRAP today is being bred for money, not performance. That is the difference. There is no thought given to ability, intelligence, or tractability. It's one cutsie wootsie bred to another cutsie wootsie and sold for huge dollares. So far, I have never seen a FC Lab or Chessie bred to a hunting poodle. Every Labradoodly or Chessadoodle I've run into has been bred in a puppy mill for profit.

They are beginning to train and run standard poodles today. If they cross FC labs or Chessies to those competetion poodles, well that's a whole different ballgame. For my part, I'd never demean my FC by breeding it to a poodle. Well, unless the stud fee was over two grand anyhow!!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.