brittany and french brittany

ocean

brittany and french brittany

Post by ocean » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:31 am

i was wondering what is the difference between brittany and French Brit? i've heard good stuff about french breed but i need to know what are the differences, capabilities, tendency to fur, temperment and difference in look and feel

Thanks,
Al

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: brittany and french brittany

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:14 pm

The American Brits were French Brits a few years ago but have been here in this country for 70 years or so. They are stil very much alike but I think the Americam Brits have been bred a little bolder and more stylish which is what we have done with all of the breeds. But still they are much alike as they all are Brits originally from France.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:31 pm

I personally have noticed the French Brittany tends to have a smaller stature than the American Brittany.

* Many breeders differentiate between "American" Brittanies and "French" style Brittanies. Although generally recognized as sub-sets of the same breed, there are recognizable differences between the two. The American Brittany is taller and faster. It has been bred to cover more ground in order to hunt wide open spaces common in the United States. The French Brittany appears more "spaniel-like" in that it is smaller and the French Brittany generally works more closely to the guns, but will work according to the local terrain. However, some breeders consider these "differences" to be unsound generalizations and that American standards should be updated to reflect the breed's standard in its country of origin, i.e. France, where black has become an acceptable coat colour since 1956 while it is still considered a fault in America. Originally known as the Brittany Spaniel, the word "spaniel" was dropped in the USA some years ago, as the American Brittany Club persuaded the American Kennel Club to discontinue the use of the term "spaniel" for this breed. When translating the Latin version of the Brittany's name, it was assumed that spaniel was attached, as the Brittany does resemble a spaniel-like dog. Spaniels, such as Springers and Cockers, are used for flushing game, while Brittanies are more akin to pointers and all-purpose sporting dogs.

*Copied from wikipedia
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence

-George Washington-

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:32 am

The french brittany is a bit smaller and cobbier in shape the proper gait of the french brittany is a bit more like a rocking horse movement bit is very quick
Yes they generally are a more companion closer type hunting dog..they can scoot a boot working the field in front of you
They have a darker pigment around the eyes skin nose and pads
the head is much squarer then that of the American
the french brittany allows black in the coat which is a disqualification in the show ring

the american brittany
longer legged not as cobby in stature
Black is a DQ
can be a bit larger running

One thing I have noticed in the french britts they are very smart and can buffalo their owners and get away with and get out of stuff....so I have to say the french are better actors then the americans :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 am

This will come as a shock but Wikipedia is wrong:

The French Brittany standard is 18.5" to 20.5" for males, 18" to 20" for females

The American Brittany standard is 17.5" to 20.5" for both sexes.

Dogs from both lines will be out of standard, but they should be the same size.

Neil

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:17 am

I am not an expert or anything. I decided to get the French Brittany because my research led me to believe me that they were a bit calmer in the house and would be better for my situation as I had a baby coming and my wife and I live in an small apartment. I also assumed I would be giving up some range but was willing to deal with that.

2 years later I believe I could not have picked a better inside dog as my daughter, wife and dog all get a long great. The dog tolerates the kid and they often play together for hours at a time. I don't think I have given up any range. My pup pushes out to 400 yards pretty consistently.

She is definitely very manipulative and we have to be consistent with her. I know you can't base your judgment of what a breed is on one dog but I am pretty sure my next dog will be another Frenchy.

This was her 2 days ago pointing sage grouse in 10 degree weather

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:09 am

Aside from the "black" issue, you'll likely find greater differences within "French" and "American" Brittanys than between them. I'd be looking harder at breeding than breed.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:10 am

Rick Hall wrote:Aside from the "black" issue, you'll likely find greater differences within "French" and "American" Brittanys than between them. I'd be looking harder at breeding than breed.

I will second and third that. :wink:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 pm

French Brittanies are usually marketed as a close working breed. Mine isn't usually much more than a 50 yard dog. However, I have a friend who bought one with some field trial parents and she will outrun pointers.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 pm

ScottG wrote:French Brittanies are usually marketed as a close working breed. Mine isn't usually much more than a 50 yard dog. However, I have a friend who bought one with some field trial parents and she will outrun pointers.
Interesting about the field trial parents. Were they trial winners in France?

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Scott, it's not something I've paid much attention to in years, but I'm virtually certain Chad Holman put a US FC on a French Britt some years back, and seem to recall someone on the SS board saying he had one or two that were close much more recently...

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Currently there is a French Brit that is doing very well in Field Trials, despite the fact that many in the FB community are trying to disown the dog. There was another owner who had some success with a dog they put with a pro and they were resoundly chastized in the FB community. It sounded like they were going to stick to their guns. But those two dogs make it pretty difficult to come up with pups who have US Field Trial parents. That is why I wondered if the reference was to FT parents in French Trials. Those type of dogs are quite common amongst the current FB enthusiasts, but they certainly wouldn't want to tout that they produced dogs that outran Pointers. IMO, the descriptions I have heard of the French trials requires a dog that differs very little from the necessary physical and mental attributes that make up a Horseback Shooting Dog Brittany.

ScottG

Post by ScottG » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 pm

You're correct it's not US Field Trials. It's more of FB field trials. I must admit that part of the pup's problem is that my friend needs to do some more serious training with the pup... she's a little out of control. She's a young pup and may bring her range in with time.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:38 pm

In regard to fur, I believe the Europeans use them more for fur than we do in America. So if you are still looking for bowhunting rabbits, those line will be more likely to have pedigrees with those influences.

Gary

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Who, In the French Britt circles is Chastizing the owners of successful dogs? That is ridiculous! :? I will admit their are some up in the air noses in the FB but everyone I meet wants field success in all venues they enter.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 pm

The only living AKC Field Champion I know of is owned by Ken and Sue Blackman of Williston, TN and is handled by Al Garrow, FC Le Grand Tank Du Fayette. Tank has won horseback All Age/Gun Dog, and walking Gun Dog, he is most versatile.

Jim Holman put a FC on one back in the 80's, and Chad had one that was close. Al had another that was a nice Gun Dog, but the owner pulled her and then campaigned a AB to a FC.

Mark Ditmore, who posts here some, has one that has won in France and has placed in AKC trials and dominates UKC trials, he is a very good dog by any and all standards.

I am sure there are others, after all it is just a line of Brittanys, so I would expect, if developed for it, for them to do well in AKC trials. They are very nice dog.

Neil

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for getting my Holman's straight, Neil. Been a long time since I've even halfway followed such things...

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 pm

I have had a half American half French bred brittany. She was a bit bigger than a wholly French bred dog. She was easier to train than the French bred dogs I have worked with. She could and did work on our grouse moors alongside pointers and setters. She won two grouse trials competing against members of the other H.P.R. breeds. I prefer the "American" brit to the purely French one but that is based on that one bitch.

If what I have heard is true, while the French trial bred brits can run like stink, they often have a rather poor retrieve instinct. The French standards for retrieving seem to be less than those in Britain . It seems to be the case in French trials that as long as the bird is brought back - that's fine. Given a choice I'd go for an American bred Brit.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !