Neutering a GSP

triplethreat

Neutering a GSP

Post by triplethreat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:52 am

We have a 16 week old GSP pup who is exhibiting some aggression. Mainly it is when we are trying to get him to do something he doesn't want to do ( we wanted him to go outside and he wanted to stay in his bed, when I picked him up he growled). Today I took him to the vet and when she gave him a shot he growled. She suggested we get him neutered becuase this was a sign of dominance. She also suggested that if we are going to do it we should do it soon.

My questions are, will this help with the growling? ( He is not bearing his teeth or taking an aggessive stance when he does this.) When is the best time to get him neutered if we decide to do it? Will this affect his hunting instincts?

thanks for any info!

PA_Sportsman

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:12 am

Not sure this is a neutering issue. Simply put, you need to assume the dominant role and not tolerate any growling, etc. If he does it, harshly put him on his back and assert your dominance over him. Hold him on his back until he stops struggling, ie, submits to you.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 am

Yes I agree. My vet if she get so much as a bad look that dog is off the table on its back with her foot over itsneck. U need to do this too. As soon as that pup growls at you throw him down hard enough to put it through his head u r the boss then grab his through. Also when he is eats grab his food awa from him and growl back, baring your teeth. Walk through door first make him follw all these are way to over come a dog who thinks hes the boss.

triplethreat

neutering

Post by triplethreat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:20 pm

We put him on his back when he starts getting dominant with us, he seems to be wise to this because the second we put him on his back he stops struggling and lays there, as soon as we let him up he goes back to doing what he was doing before. We keep putting him down, but he seems to just submit because he knows that he will be let up when he does.
Any other suggestions? I would be happy to hear them...

triplethreat

food

Post by triplethreat » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:28 pm

Sorry I forgot to add, I can take his food away from him at any time, he is not food aggressive at all. We have 2 other dogs and he is NOT the dominant dog in the house, nor is he aggressive with them. Neither one of the other dogs is aggessive. He does not snarl or bear his teeth. We do walk through doors first. The only aggressive or dominant behavior is the growling.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Is it a growl or a moan. My setter makes amoan type noise when I wake her up to put her out almost sounds like a growl.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:08 pm

I don`t like pinning a pup down to show dominance. I prefer picking a pup up by the nap of their neck and giving a shake if they get testy. Taking a dog off the ground puts a little fear in them. Vets think neutering fixes everything, ugh!
brenda

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:33 pm

Ya they just want you to nueter so there is ni unexpected littlers.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:21 pm

I agree with Brenda

PIck up by scruff of neck bring the front legs off the ground and stare down. Older pups/dogs take the nape of neck from under both ears lifting up .....rolloing over only starts the roll down effect making things potentially worse for others dogs and people

Nuetering will not change aggression this is a learned behaviour which if not contended with will only get worse
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Don't cut the dog until you know for sure what is going on. I have also had dogs that would growl or even snap at you and as soon as they matured and got the idea that I am king never ever did it again.
Don't rush things. 16 weeks is so puppy and they have not a clue how to get mad yet!

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:33 pm

not sure if this would work but if you tie a small nylone cord (1/4 inch and about 10 ft. long) to his collar and when you want him t get up, go out side, do this, or do that you have a lead on him. If you are getting him up from his bed first pick up the lead take up any slack then call him if he refuses make him come by pullling him to you. What you would be accomplishing would be that he has no other choice than to do as you ask and you are getting the desired response of a latter command.

I have never tried this but it can work if done in a positive manner

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:54 am

I'm with snips on this. When you take any dog off the ground, you have taken him out of his element and pretty well taken all defense from him giving him no other choice than to submit.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

LookoutDog

Post by LookoutDog » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:23 pm

From everything I've read and heard, you should avoid neutering your pup until he is physically mature. He needs the time for his skeletal and muscular development.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:25 am

neutering can help male dog on male dog aggression.... not aggression towards people etc. i would just work with the pup to show him that he is NOT the pack leader, that you are. you don't have to be mean, just firm and consistent. good luck!!