Heat Lamp vs. Heat Pad

M1Tanker

Heat Lamp vs. Heat Pad

Post by M1Tanker » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:52 pm

I have constructed a LCS whelping box for an upcoming litter and was wondering what you prefer, a heat lamp or heat pad?

I would think that a pad would be better for the pups, but I would be concerned that the bitch would chew up the heat pad...any thoughts.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Heat Lamp vs. Heat Pad

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I have never used either. Give them some bedding and Mom will supply the heat.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I have never used either ,but I have read that pads are preferable to having heat come from above such as a light. I have a friend that has now raised a couple of litters using a heavy rubber pad such as used for pig whelping. He feels they are a good feature to have.

windswept

Post by windswept » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:54 pm

Ditto on the pig mat. I use a Stanfield with the Stanfield reostatic power controller. That way you can adjust the temperature. Just make sure you use a towel over the mat so the pups have something to get some traction on as the heat mat has a pretty smooth surface.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:09 pm

I use both. I also have a digital thermomater inside the box to always know the exact temperature inside. I look at it this way, Its a worthy investment to have a heated pad (a good one) If It keeps me from loosing one pup, it pays for itself several times over. Remember, Puppies cannot regulate their own body heat for the first two weeks of their life. Once a pup gets chilled.. They're usually done for.

However, You can also get them to warm. Make sure you are heating the box, but not too much. I suggest you keep your box at 85-90 Degrees the first week, 80 the 2nd, 75 the 3rd, and 70 the 4th & 5th Weeks and no less than 55-60 thereafter.

We use a fully insulated enclosed "whelping Den" so, I have never used a whelping box per say. I will warn you to keep the floor of the box insulated against the cold. The #1 reason for puppies dieing in the first 2 weeks of life is cold.

These are just my suggestions.
Good Luck!
PFP
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:24 pm

I use a heating pad

the pups can crawl off and on as needed... I have found the lights to causes some deyhration as it dries the air causing the mom to drink more and can interfere some with milk production...

the other thing Pups that can maintain over all heat will grow better as they use the energy growing and a pup under about the 2 week age do not maintain their own body heat ...

I like when my vet compliments on how nice and healthy my pups are plenty of moisture level in them and great growth in them not stressed.

if it is warm out just watch the pups if they huddle on it they need it is they are warm enough they will crawl off.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.