Helping the girl shoot? advice?

GhillieSuit22

Helping the girl shoot? advice?

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:30 am

I know traditionally hunting can mean many things to different people and to some guys it is a way to get away from their female counterparts. However, I feel different and I would really like to get my girlfriend into the sport. She has shown some interest...especially in the dog part :wink: . I have taken her out to shoot clays just from a thrower and I find myself not being able to teach without her getting frustrated. Her dad was a hunter(deer) but she grew up in the city and was never really around guns. She has a lot of fun when she is out there but feels like a failure when she misses, which is quite often.

The 12 gauge is also quite big for her and hard for her to keep up as she is rather petite. Sometimes she lets the clay go without taking a shot like she is scared to pull the trigger...its actually cute but not practical. It is at these times I wish I had a 20 gauge for her to try. I do have a 410 but I thought the pattern would just be to small...but that is as lite as it gets.

Anyways I am looking for some advice how to get her to be a better shot while not ruining the sport for her. She is very hard on herself. Thanks in advance!

By the way, I am not suggesting girls can't shoot. I am speaking about mine in particular.

dlfl

Re: Helping the girl shoot? advice?

Post by dlfl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:49 am

While the 410 is really an experts gun I would let he shoot it. If she can handle that without any real discomfort and she likes shooting it get her a 28 ga or 20 ga. Check if the range has an instructor and get her with him or her. My wife is small and loves the 28 ga.A semi in 20 0r 28 ga will be a lot easier on her than a pump or break open.
Dіck

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:19 am

Take her to a shooting club that has shotguns that wil fit her for lessons from a professional (preferably female). Trying to teach a significant other, or child for that matter, can be very testing on the relationship. As a bonus she will shoot better, your relationship will be better and she may develop a fondness for shotguns as well! :D :D

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:22 am

Not an instructor or shooting expert, but had a similar situation with my wife 20+ years ago. Try starting her out on fixed targets with a .22 rifle to get her comfortable shooting. If she is a first timer, a 12 ga. can be a little much to handle. Then move her into a .410 or 28ga. maybe just shooting at fixed objects to get her used to the gun and recoil etc. I found that clay shooting slight angle and away from L to R is the easiest for right shouldered beginners. JMO
Bill L.

Ohh, I almost forgot....my wife actually kicked my butt in a skeet event a few years later. Maybe I didn;t mention that on purpose :oops:

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:47 am

Ohh, I almost forgot....my wife actually kicked my butt in a skeet event a few years later. Maybe I didn;t mention that on purpose :oops:
HAHA! That is a good idea, maybe starting her out on the 12 gauge was a little much. I have a ruger 10 22, maybe I will have her just get used to the gun and shooting. I also agree about clay positioning from when I started. Good advice. Thank you!

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:56 am

buy a youth model gun with a shorter stock and barrel length for her a gun that doesn't fit is no way to start
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Pawshela

Post by Pawshela » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 am

Personally I prefer using a 16 gau or 20 gau.

Check and make sure when she is firing, she is holding the gun tight to her shoulder, unless she is extremely athletic the shoulder tissue is going to be much softer and bruise easier if she isn't holding the gun properly at the kick back. Maybe throw a folded towel over her shoulder for extra padding until her body gets used to it.

Can she see? Again, it may sound stupid but I wear glasses, and I've found that I have one pair of glasses for shooting, and one pair for normal wear. Some of the new fangled fashion frames have poor peripheral coverage and you cannot bloody see what you are trying to track until it is smack dab in the middle of your lens. My shooting glasses have larger lens with greater coverage peripherally. Or I wear my contacts.

Lastly make sure the gun is sighted in for her, not for you.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:18 am

Ghillie -

Starting out with stationary targets is a great idea. A .410 with a claybird on a dirtmound about 50 ft. away will give instant aiming feedback.

First thing I would do when it is time to try moving targets is invest in a 3/4 cock trap that you can sit on or build a stand for it so you can feed claybird after claybird and present the exact same shot...time after time... with minimal effort.

Next thing would be to get the young lady a gun that fits her and that she can enjoy shooting. A 20 or 28 ga. gas operated auto would be my choice. If she is really slight...I'd go for the 28 Ga and I might have some lead or Mercury (don't know if they use Mercury any more) put in the buttstock.

Then I would go out to the range and set her up with a nice, easy, gently rising and gently angled right to left crossing shot(if she is right handed) and then have her follow the flight of the clay with her left hand(assuming that she shoots right handed) with the thumb and first finger of her left hand pointing out as if she were holding the forearm. Do this perhaps a half dozen times to build some muscle memory. The put ths shotgun in her hands holding the forearm with thumb and forefinger pointing out in the same way and do about a half dozen targets with only a snap cap in the gun. Have her try both sustained lead and pull through...without firing and actual round, just firing the snap cap. If you can rig a string to launch the trap so you can stand directly behind her and watch her swing through the birdas you launch the trap, that could help also. If the gun fits her really well, you could also have her try the Churchill mount and shoot technique. That is what I taught my son first and he took to it right away.

Then, when she has the mechanics down a bit, load the gun and go for the claybird. Right before you pull the trap tell her to try to miss the bird "out front" by leading it too much.

Betcha she smokes the sucker. If not you should be in a position to see where the shotload went and have her make corrections. Keep doing the same, easy shot until she is smoking them on a regular basis.

That is pretty much what I did when I introduced my son to the shotgun at the age of ten and by the age of twelve he was(and still is) a far better shot than me.

RayG

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:50 pm

Ray do you really want to teach your girlfriend how to handle a gun:]? Above all else kidding aside gauge doesn't really matter but make sure she has a gun that fits her or she 's never going to hit the broad side of a barn. When I was an instructor people sometimes would have the technique and know how but would have ill fitting guns and would become frustrated when they still could'nt hit anything. Also with a shotgun relax take the barrels cover whatever your shooting and pull the trigger don't make more out of it than it is and Ray I still trust yeah:] Good Luck hopefuly when your done teaching her how to shoot I'll still see you at the trial grounds.

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm

Thank you everyone for your great ideas. It would have taken me awhile to put that all together if ever and I am sure at that point she would be frustrated. It really means a lot, thanks! I will start a new thread and give you the results when I get back to shooting again. Still a little cold up here.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:41 pm

get a 20 gauge that fits her

get her pissed off I bet that will increase her accuracy :lol: JK

Back to serious
have her look at the corner of the wall and ceiling and pick a spot close her eyes and bring up the gun an then open her eyes see where she is aiming
then
get some clay target and stick them on the ground where they stick up at different distances in a line so has you walk she can raise aim and shoot on a still target and get a feel for raise aim and shoot ..tell her not to force the aiming just walk see pull up and shoot. this is something she can do on her own this way she can see if she is low high or what and kinda have fun with it put the clay targets on little hills so it hopefully isn't just like aiming at teh ground

then when she is getting the idea with non moving targets at different ranges getting the idea of raise and shoot

then go to tossing the clays

that is what helped my Mom and daughter and I to get into it
maybe not a perfect way but it took it made it easier for my dad ..and trying to teach the girls :lol: and stay alive at the same time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Before I give any expert opinion or give any professional advice,,, was wondering if you could post some pics of the girlfriend? :D

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:31 pm

Rich always looking for new talent HUH ?

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 pm

R-Heaton wrote:Before I give any expert opinion or give any professional advice,,, was wondering if you could post some pics of the girlfriend? :D
HAHA, as much as I would like to show her off...I don't think she would be too thrilled. Maybe when I get my pup, I can sneak a in a pic with her in it :wink:

That doesn't count right?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:14 pm

One more thing to consider, there are a lot of women out there that are opposite eye dominant. Meaning, they are right handed yet left eye dominant. check this first. Have her hold her hand out in front of her with a finger up and both eyes open. Close one eye and then the other. The eye where the finger stays in the same spot when closed is the dominant eye. If she's opposite then you'll have to fit a gun to her. Another thing to do is to buy cheap BB guns. Have fun in the yard shooting things then get her to shoot without aiming and only by looking at the target. When you aim a shotgun you usually miss!

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:25 pm

I started my girlfriend out on a 12 ga just because that was all I had.What I did was I spent a lot of time behind her just helping her get the shouldering movement and made sure she kept the gun tight to her shoulder and got her face where it needed to be. (Personally I found that to be my favorite part :lol: :P ) Once she got that down I got a light load and started with close targets. She wasn't small but not a big girl either and the 12ga pretty much dominated her. She was a stubborn and determined SOB.

Basically what I am saying is go slow as she needs and take baby steps. There is a lot of stuff you can teach a person that has never fired a gun before in your own back yard. That 5 minutes a day 3 times a day rule comes in to play here to.
Last edited by GsPJustin on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Oh, and if your going to piss her off, or surprise her with something she wont like.... Do it now before she knows how to shoot! :lol: :lol: :P

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 am

20ga with a hand thrower or one that you can sit on and throw her some targets.I like to use an over/under........

Start out with straight aways and then increase the angle.Have a buddy stand in back of her so she knows if shes behind,infront,over or under the target.
Tell her to keep the gun moving/swing through.

When missing a clay target an inch behind (when the person shooting knows how far they where behind it) is about a foot, so swing past the target and pull the trigger and one will bust the bird/clay target.

Alot of times someone new to the game sees the target and stops the swing of the gun and always shoots behind the clay target.Its frustrating to the person shooting and they want to quit.

So again have someone stand behind her and after she gets use to it (shooting) then when she misses have HER tell you why/how/what happened that it was a miss and she will figure it out.Then move on to a trap club when shes use to it........

Shawn

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:34 am

I hope you don't mind a different viewpoint based on cynicism! Your new girlfriend doesn't want to learn how to shoot because she believes she will enjoy it. She wants to keep an eye on you to make sure that you are actually hunting rather than chasing other girls. It has been my experience that all my girlfriends have falsely claimed to like hunting, shooting and outdoor sports because they want to mark and retain their territory. But when they are in the field they whine incessantly about the lack of comforts and conveniences and they demand to go home early thereby ruining your day. You will also have to purchase a pack mule to carry all the extra supplies they require to maintain themselves throughout the day. Eventually your outdoors excursions will not be so enjoyable and you will try to entertain yourself closer to home (Her goal) by having some boy’s nights out! However, they will then insist that they would like to learn poker so they can threaten your indoor time with your friends as well. Furthermore, they will dictate which of your "vulgar" friends may accompany US (its no longer YOU) on any excursion you wish to attempt. They make sure there is no hobby or distraction that you can enjoy with yourself or with friends of your choosing. It's insidious like a flesh eating bacteria -- it seems harmless at first but it has an insatiable appetite for life.

I know, I know "...but she is different "! Maybe I am wrong!! Let me know in one year! I feel emotionally drained now so, I have to go to sleep. I do wish you good luck.
Last edited by lightonthebay on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:52 am

lightonthebay wrote:I hope you don't mind a different viewpoint based on cynicism! Your new girlfriend doesn't want to learn how to shoot because she believes she will enjoy it. She wants to keep an eye on you to make sure that you are actually hunting rather than chasing other girls. It has been my experience that all my girlfriends have falsely claimed to like hunting, shooting and outdoor sports because they want to mark and retain their territory. But when they are in the field they whine incessantly about the lack of comforts and conveniences and they demand to go home early thereby ruining your day. You will also have to purchase a pack mule to carry all the extra supplies they require to maintain themselves throughout the day. Eventually your outdoors excursions will not be so enjoyable and you will try to entertain yourself closer to home (The goal) by having some boy’s nights out! However, they will then insist that they would like to learn poker so they can threaten your indoor time with your friends as well. Furthermore, they will dictate which of your "vulgar" friends may accompany US (its no longer YOU) on any excursion you wish to attempt. They make sure there is no hobby or distraction that you can enjoy with yourself or with friends of your choosing. It's insidious like a flesh eating bacteria -- it seems harmless at first but it has an insatiable appetite for life.

I know, I know "...but she is different "! Maybe I am wrong!! Let me know in one year! I feel emotionally drained now so, I have to go to sleep. I do wish you good luck.
WOW??

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:02 am

lightonthebay wrote:I hope you don't mind a different viewpoint based on cynicism! Your new girlfriend doesn't want to learn how to shoot because she believes she will enjoy it. She wants to keep an eye on you to make sure that you are actually hunting rather than chasing other girls. It has been my experience that all my girlfriends have falsely claimed to like hunting, shooting and outdoor sports because they want to mark and retain their territory. But when they are in the field they whine incessantly about the lack of comforts and conveniences and they demand to go home early thereby ruining your day. You will also have to purchase a pack mule to carry all the extra supplies they require to maintain themselves throughout the day. Eventually your outdoors excursions will not be so enjoyable and you will try to entertain yourself closer to home (Her goal) by having some boy’s nights out! However, they will then insist that they would like to learn poker so they can threaten your indoor time with your friends as well. Furthermore, they will dictate which of your "vulgar" friends may accompany US (its no longer YOU) on any excursion you wish to attempt. They make sure there is no hobby or distraction that you can enjoy with yourself or with friends of your choosing. It's insidious like a flesh eating bacteria -- it seems harmless at first but it has an insatiable appetite for life.

there are many women hitting the field

oh and ps when you do get us hunting the trips to cabelas will double :wink: don't get her started bow hunting
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks for filling in the holes Knine'! I did overlook some additional duties and warnings.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:30 am

Maybe I the odd ball ...haha imagine that

Can't drag my in to a mall

and it is hard to drag me out of cabelas or bass pro

accessorizing is a new case for my tri tronics or a new quiver for my bow

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am

A lot of good tips here! I have a bad jaw and neck and have found a semi-auto works best for me. I also seem to learn better from someone other then my husband :D

WOW lightonthebay sounds like you have found some real winners! I have got to hunt more the past 3 years then my husband. When he was lucky enough to work from home and set his own hours he would hunt during the week with 2 female friends of ours, I had to work :evil: Keep looking theres good ones out there!

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:42 am

lightonthebay wrote:It has been my experience that all my girlfriends have falsely claimed to like hunting, shooting and outdoor sports because they want to mark and retain their territory
This made me laugh,,,,,

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 am

High Voltage wrote:A lot of good tips here! I have a bad jaw and neck and have found a semi-auto works best for me. I also seem to learn better from someone other then my husband :D

WOW lightonthebay sounds like you have found some real winners! I have got to hunt more the past 3 years then my husband. When he was lucky enough to work from home and set his own hours he would hunt during the week with 2 female friends of ours, I had to work :evil: Keep looking theres good ones out there!
Yes, I have experienced some "precious little buttercups" that were actually among the minions of heck.

Thanks for the encouragement!

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:33 pm

lightonthebay wrote:I hope you don't mind a different viewpoint based on cynicism! Your new girlfriend doesn't want to learn how to shoot because she believes she will enjoy it. She wants to keep an eye on you to make sure that you are actually hunting rather than chasing other girls. It has been my experience that all my girlfriends have falsely claimed to like hunting, shooting and outdoor sports because they want to mark and retain their territory. But when they are in the field they whine incessantly about the lack of comforts and conveniences and they demand to go home early thereby ruining your day. You will also have to purchase a pack mule to carry all the extra supplies they require to maintain themselves throughout the day. Eventually your outdoors excursions will not be so enjoyable and you will try to entertain yourself closer to home (Her goal) by having some boy’s nights out! However, they will then insist that they would like to learn poker so they can threaten your indoor time with your friends as well. Furthermore, they will dictate which of your "vulgar" friends may accompany US (its no longer YOU) on any excursion you wish to attempt. They make sure there is no hobby or distraction that you can enjoy with yourself or with friends of your choosing. It's insidious like a flesh eating bacteria -- it seems harmless at first but it has an insatiable appetite for life.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard ..... :roll:

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I frequently take my wife shooting with me, and she is learning to hunt. Since we got our pup if the pup goes, chances are shes going. Doesn't bother me. As far as teaching her too shoot, I let her shoot my 20ga 1187 and she has since tried to claim it. So I bought 3 guns to replace it :) I took her to the range and to show her basics and safety etc. The range-master is really nice and always spends a good bit of time with us when we shoot and he gives her tips and helps her since she won't listen to me. She has gotten better each time we go and killed her first bird this year when we picked the pup up from training. Just enjoy it, and realize you can teach enough to get her confident then you might want someone to help with some of the teaching.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Here does this give you some hope :mrgreen:
click to enlarge

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:48 pm

ROFL! .... By golly you've figured us out. But you forgot the part where she'll want a dog of her own too so her dog can work yours over & show yours how it's done ("Her" ultimate GOAL).... :D
Or, better yet, she'll BEFRIEND YOUR hunting dog (shower lots & lots of affection on it) to where it'll obey her MORE THAN YOU.... (it's been known to happen in my house....) :lol: ....
Last edited by Killer Instinct on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm

kninebirddog wrote:Here does this give you some hope :mrgreen:
click to enlarge

OK, you proved that I must be wrong by rubbing my nose in my mistakes! I guess it's just my rotten luck. Sometimes I think I'm God's comedy channel.

And YES! I am now so full of hope it makes me want to vote for Obama again!

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Killer Instinct wrote:

ROFL! .... By golly you've figured us out. But you forgot the part where she'll want a dog of her own too so her dog can work yours over & show yous how it's done ("Her" ultimate GOAL).... :D
Or, better yet, she'll BEFRIEND YOUR hunting dog (shower lots & lots of affection on it) to where it'll obey her MORE THAN YOU.... (it's been known to happen in my house....) :lol: ....
Oh yeah, I forgot (repressed) those treasured moments of betrayal! I feel a crying jag coming on again!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:56 pm

I figured i would post here on the board also

I think I might have a way the guys can figure out if the gals they are meeting have any hunting savvy

instead of wearing old spice or tommy boy
try wearing some blue code or tinks 69 or maybe even some buck-n-rut backed up with a acorn or earth scent

and they aren't turned off by it...

you just may have a winner HAHA unless of course she makes tinks 69 smell good :oops: :o

Ok Back to our regularly scheduled program

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:24 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
I think I might have a way the guys can figure out if the gals they are meeting have any hunting savvy

try wearing some blue code or tinks 69 or maybe even some buck-n-rut backed up with a acorn or earth scent

you just may have a winner HAHA unless of course she makes tinks 69 smell good :oops: :o
That's funny, Knine! :lol: We went from "Helping the girl to shoot" to "How hunting guys can find the right hunting woman".... you gotta love it :lol:

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:35 pm

Killer Instinct wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:

That's funny, Knine! :lol: We went from "Helping the girl to shoot" to "How hunting guys can find the right hunting woman".... you gotta love it :lol:
I don't like the ones I have! I ain't lookin' to add another one!

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 pm

lightonthebay wrote:
Killer Instinct wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:

I don't like the ones I have! I ain't lookin' to add another one!
First Lesson: Notice I said "WOMAN", not "Women".... if you can't handle one, how can you handle SEVERAL? Here's a potential problem: if they each know about each other, that isn't going to work either ( there's that "territorial" problem you mentioned earlier)! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, Way off topic!.... :D

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Here does this give you some hope
click to enlarge

dang that girl gets around

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Killer Instinct wrote: ROFL! .... By golly you've figured us out. But you forgot the part where she'll want a dog of her own too so her dog can work yours over & show yours how it's done ("Her" ultimate GOAL).... :D
PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CALL SHENANIGANS!

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 am

Light's post cracked me up! Because there IS some degree of truth in it. "Some" women (and men) take up hunting just to be with their SO. My husband never shot a gun, rode a horse, nor owned a dog--let alone trained or handled one until he met me. He does it now because he enjoys it. But in the beginning, he was just annoyed to be left alone on the weekends and couldn't stand that I was capable of having fun without him :lol:

Here's a story Light can relate to: Every year we host a big bash on opening day of dove season. It's a family affair with lots of women and childeren. Several years ago--back when we did it for free--way too many people showed up. Many of the women gave up their stands. None of the men did. Many of the women who remained in the field, and a few who bowed out, complained that the men where hogging the birds. We decided then and there to hold an impromtu "Women Only" shoot the following day. Less than half the female whiners showed up, and many of them brought their boyfriends against my insistance of 'women only.' I made the men drive the drink truck, fix lunch, and clean the birds :mrgreen: All but two of the women had a grand time. The other two left the field to 'help' their boyfriends in the kitchen. Those two female 'leglifters' were never invited back.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 am

ZZwiems, I do relate. Thanks. I bow to all of those women who understand the issue of displaying a phony interest in the outdoors so they can interfere with another's fun! You few, have shown me real examples of women who genuinely enjoy the outdoors. And as you implied there are men who engage in the same type of deceit & hypocrisy yet I'd like to deny those examples because it makes me want to die of shame for the gender!

SLO_ROLL

Post by SLO_ROLL » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 am

Easy Fix. Ever heard of KISS? "Keep it simple stupid." 1. Nose over toes. 2. Head down. 3. Cover your bird. 4. Follow through. Before you get started find out her "Dominate" eye

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:47 pm

GsPJustin wrote:
Killer Instinct wrote: ROFL! .... By golly you've figured us out. But you forgot the part where she'll want a dog of her own too so her dog can work yours over & show yours how it's done ("Her" ultimate GOAL).... :D
PREPOSTEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CALL SHENANIGANS!
Awww, your just upset because it's already happenin' to you, right? :lol: :lol:
Well you can be a great boyfriend/hubby/SO and "......drive the drink truck, fix lunch, and clean the birds (Aline's quote)" for her so she can enjoy her newest hobby.... :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:37 pm

Tammy,

Your not making my situation any BETTER! :cry: :lol:

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:47 am

How is this thread still going?

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:19 pm

get a gun that fits her give her a bunch of shells tell her to go out shot all of them then when she gets back take her out and have her just pull up and shoot tell her not to aim just look at what she is wanting to shoot if the gun fits right she will be close to were she wants to hit make it natural and keep it simplebe before you know it she will be out shooting you and prob me :mrgreen:
RICHARD NANCE

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:08 pm

GhillieSuit22 wrote:How is this thread still going?
Actually, I'm picking up great tips from this thread in order to reach my goal (you know us women) in how to outshoot the hubby in the field .... :)

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I realize I'm a little late to the party, but I thought I would chime in with my $0.02. Get your girlfriend hooked up with a local chapter of Becoming an Outdoors Woman (usually offered through the state wildlife department) or Women in the Outdoors (through the National Wild Turkey Federation). They both offer shooting clinics and other outdoor clinics and activities that she can attend and learn and have fun with other women who may also be new at it or veterans who can help and teach her from a women's perspective.

If she can experience shooting and other outdoor/hunting skills in an environment with other women, where she feels less pressured to impress you (not that you make that necessary, but we women are funny that way), then she will be more likely to develop an interest that will become her own rather than doing it because she thinks it's important to you.

I know BOW and WITO have played a huge role in my interest in shooting and hunting, for which my husband has been greatly appreciative. :)
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:58 pm

utahmomof4 wrote:(not that you make that necessary, but we women are funny)
Fixed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

TO THE HIDEY HOLE! :arrow:

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Bobman is "right on". During the hunting season of '07-'08 my wife became extremely frustrated shooting my older 20 ga over/under. Didn't hit much and thought about just participating this year with a camera. Bought her a 20 ga Benelli Monte youth model (she's 5'2'',110lbs), took her to the range for a few lessons with a pro and made all the difference in the world.. Those quail and pheasants were dropping out of the sky this season and now she can't wait till next season. So..if your serious about this "girl friend", invest some $$$ in a gun that fits and some lessons. If she turns out to be more than a friend...could mean a life time of happiness with your most favorite hunting partner...Just some thoughts....