Do dogs fake injuries?

natel24

Do dogs fake injuries?

Post by natel24 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:57 pm

I got home last night and went to let my dog out of his kennel and he wouldn't get up, once he finally got up he limped all over. This morning was more of the same. Now this afternoon he is fine like nothing ever happened, running around outside and even retrieving for me.

A little background on my dog is hes just over a year old, broke his hip when he was about 5months when he jumped out of the window of my truck, he heeled up great since he was so young when it happened., haven't had any problems with his hips since, he hunted all season fine, and goes on runs with me every day.

One of my friends told me that dogs will fake an injury to get attention. Almost like he was mad at me for keeping him in his kennel for a few hours. The only reason i am a bit worried is because he was favoring the hip that he broke awhile ago. Anyone ever have this happen?
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

romeo212000

Re: Do dogs fake injuries?

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Could have just been sore for a couple of days. I am sure dogs have better days than others with such a former serious injury.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:40 pm

With 40 years in dogs, I've never known a dog to fake an injury. They can be smart in there own way but they don't think like humans. I have known a dog to sulk but not fake an injury.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I have seen several Border Collies fake limping. One would run after his owner going to his barn and literally run on 3 legs. I told him his dog was lame, he said he just wanted a ride:) I could not believe that, then when we got to the barn dog ran normal. Too smart. I saw another one fake limping when she was in trouble. Her owner would walk away after the scolding and dog walked normally. I think your dog was probably just stiff, or maybe has some arthritis in the injury.
brenda

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:01 pm

My gal's got a little border collie in her. I wonder if that's why she has a favor to her every once in a while but still hauls like a jet to chase the ball.
However I'm with Sharon on this one, its more in a dogs nature to hide injuries than fake them. If they were that flagrant, we could all be veterinarians.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 01, 2009 12:22 pm

Yes, some dogs can and do fake injuries. 2 examples:

I had a golden retriever named Ginger. 1 time, she split a pad and was limping. We checked her out every day, medicated it for 14 days, waxed her pads, etc. Afterwards, whenever she saw us coming, she would hold that paw up and limp towards us. The first few times, we ran over, and held her, and picked up her paw and inspected it thoroughly, but found there was nothing wrong. In the house, we'd look out, and she'd be fine, walking, running, being silly, but as soon as we opened the door, she was limping. Faker.

There was a briard at one point had a staff infection between his ears where the hair had been glued after cropping. We medicated and medicated, and eventually, it cleared up. During medicating,t he dog would be snuggled, and cradled, and soothed while the medication was being applied. After the fact, he was treated like a regular dog, but when he saw you coming, I swear, he'd flop his ears down and shake his head like something was wrong. It took 7 months before the vet and owners realized that the behavior was psychosematic, and was a learned behavior to get attention. Faker.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri May 01, 2009 5:33 pm

Some dogs do. One of my older brothers has a Blue/Red Heeler cross and she is amazingly smart, and when her feelings get hurt, she will fake for attention, or to make you feel like a heel. Pun intended.
A year or so ago, we were working cattle and she was kicked pretty hard in her left leg and shoulder area, was gimped up awhile and fully recovered. She got alot of pity and coddling attention while she was laid up, so now she fakes. I got on to her one day for biting the cows under the fence while we had them backed up in the lane headed for the squeeze chutes and getting them all worked up. She did it again and I bonked her on the head with a heeling stick and she sulked away limping with her left front foot. About 2 hours later I called her to me to make up with her and she limped over to me with her right foot. I was like "Gracie! Wrong foot you dummy!"

She's something else. Gotta love em though!
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon May 04, 2009 2:14 pm

I had a dog get a foxtail in its ear and it worried me a little. He was shaking his head going frantic. I was trying to stop him so I could see what it is. I decided just to quickly take him to the vet and have them get it out.

Not sure if he liked the anesthesia, or the attention he got from my girlfriend....

Regardless, now if you scold him, or he has to do something he doesn't want, he will start to shake his head like he has a foxtail in his ear. :x

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed May 06, 2009 7:10 am

A few winters ago on a really cold weekend day my old dog Poppy was shivering and looking pitiful at the kitchen door. Now mind you she has a nice warm dog house and has had no problem staying in it all week when everybody is at school or work. My wife felt sorry for her and let her in. Now if Poppy is out and sees my wife in the kitchen she wil just sit there, looking pitiful and shivering, even if it is over 95 degrees out! I think faking injuries is just something they learn.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed May 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Now that I think about it. They aren't "faking injuries" per say. They are just doing the thing that they know will get them what they want. Kind of like the dogs that sits when your scolding them, or applying to much pressure during training. They just know that limping, shivering at the door, or shaking their heads gets them sympathy. So they do it when they are unsure of themselves or wanting something you wont give them.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Thu May 07, 2009 6:32 am

But isn't that why everyone fakes? When a kid fakes an injury in gym class, it's because they're unsure of themselves and don't want to be embarassed when they can't make that lay-up, or when a person fakes hearing because you're angry that they didn't do what you asked them to the first time? I think that's the foundation of the idea of faking.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 pm

A few winters ago on a really cold weekend day my old dog Poppy was shivering and looking pitiful at the kitchen door. Now mind you she has a nice warm dog house and has had no problem staying in it all week when everybody is at school or work. My wife felt sorry for her and let her in. Now if Poppy is out and sees my wife in the kitchen she wil just sit there, looking pitiful and shivering, even if it is over 95 degrees out! I think faking injuries is just something they learn
"bleep" let Poppy come inside and sleep on the couch for christ sake! Just kidding but most dog breeds truly want to always be close to their pack members and i'm not a big kennel person but I have nothing against those that are.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Thu May 07, 2009 3:09 pm

I sprained my ankle once but went out to the bars anyway. I suffered through on crutches all night, but boy did the women in the bar give me a lot of attention that night. I was really close to using them the following week even though i didn't need them anymore. Kids, dogs, adults, positive rewards affect us all.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu May 07, 2009 7:02 pm

My avatar definitely fakes injuries. He has had a couple of injuries from the field small cuts and scrapes and any time that I wrap them to keep him from licking or to put medicine on them he limps around and pouts like he is dying. The second that I put it on he starts his little act and the second that I take it off he goes back to normal. It is quite funny.

Brandon