Finally rode my horse!

EddieF

Finally rode my horse!

Post by EddieF » Sun May 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Well I really dragged it out. Buck needed to get healthy, then he went into training to learn the Western way, then I took lessons, then he was hurt again and had to get sound, then we moved, then my wife had to ride him some to make sure he would be okay for me to ride. Then we needed to get the rest of the tack that fit the eBay saddle we got for him a while back.

But the day finally arrived and I finally rode my horse today!!

I brushed him and tacked him up. Sandy rode him a little at first to make sure he was relatively quiet, all looked good so I took my turn. He was such a good boy!

I wanted a picture right away so if he bucked me off I'd at least have one photo...

He's a little harder to steer than the horse I took lessons on, but that will come with practice and work. We walked mostly, but trotted a little.

Here we are walking back to the barn. Life is good!

When we were all done he followed me all the way back to the gate. So I guess he can't be THAT mad at me for making him haul my fat butt around the ring!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Re: Finally rode my horse!

Post by DGFavor » Sun May 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Right on!! Keep it up!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun May 17, 2009 6:37 pm

EddieF -

Sooooo, you procrastinated. So what? You got it done and it looks pretty good from where I sit. Buck has the kindest, softest eyes. I like that. I think he will do his best to take real good care of you. I see some serious bonding in your future.

Summer is just around the corner. Enjoy each other.

RayG

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun May 17, 2009 6:50 pm

RayGubernat wrote:EddieF -

Sooooo, you procrastinated. So what? You got it done and it looks pretty good from where I sit. Buck has the kindest, softest eyes. I like that. I think he will do his best to take real good care of you. I see some serious bonding in your future.

Summer is just around the corner. Enjoy each other.

RayG
Thanks! Yeah, I think because it did take so long to get it all together it makes it that much better. One of the first trail rides I want to do (other than just stuff right around here) is a horseback tour of the Gettysburg battlefields. Always wanted to do that on my very own horse, seems like a cool way to experience that history.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon May 18, 2009 6:49 am

Good for you! Having bought my first horse 3 1/2 years ago, I understand what it's like to start riding as an adult. As for the steering, it'll take time for you and your horse to get to know each other and work as a team. Took Trav and I close to 2 years, had him for sale twice, and now you couldn't pay me enough to sell him.

If you do Gettysburg, please let me know! It's a few hours from us and I've always wanted to go!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Mon May 18, 2009 7:03 am

You look good Eddie. Keep riding that old warrior. Be patient and kind and he will be your buddy forever.

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 am

What a beautiful Appy! Keep it up, it will become a "habit" soon. Another note, I love the JRT in the pic too! I have two!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I will admit I am extremely jealous of your housing/property set-up. Congratulations on living your life the way you want!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed May 27, 2009 1:35 pm

gar-dog wrote:I will admit I am extremely jealous of your housing/property set-up. Congratulations on living your life the way you want!
Thank you so much. The whole setup is really special, we're getting so much enjoyment out of it. 8)

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:30 pm

I haven't been on in a while so just saw this. Great job! Keep riding that beautiful Appaloosa!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP