AKC Mixed Breed Programs!?

Gordon Guy

AKC Mixed Breed Programs!?

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:36 pm

This is a clip from the AKC website that publizes a new program that allows the registration of a mixed breed dog with AKC: "Then beginning April 1, 2010 enrolled dogs will be eligible to compete in mixed breed classes at stand-alone AKC Agility, Obedience and Rally events." Why didn't they include field events?

https://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3810

I wonder what you all think about letting mixed breeds enter field events?
Tom

GsPJustin

Re: AKC Mixed Breed Programs!?

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:27 pm

How could a purebred dog registry have mixed breed events. Ahhh, good old advertising stimuli. Looks like AKC needs a bail-out.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

It's a way to get folks involved in AKC activities where the individual breed, or the purebred status, of the dog is irrelevant.

Conformation and field trial events are considered to be events designed to assist the individual breeders, and the breeds themselves. It's why ILP-registered dogs are not allowed in competitive conformation or field events, even though they are deemed to be "pure bred".

FWIW,
Dave

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Dave Quindt wrote:Much ado about nothing, IMO.

It's a way to get folks involved in AKC activities where the individual breed, or the purebred status, of the dog is irrelevant.

Conformation and field trial events are considered to be events designed to assist the individual breeders, and the breeds themselves. It's why ILP-registered dogs are not allowed in competitive conformation or field events, even though they are deemed to be "pure bred".

FWIW,
Dave
Right on. Sounds like a good program for people who like to compete with their dogs.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:30 pm

From the way I read the article that was posted mixed breed owners will be able to start registering and obtaining ID numbers for their dogs as of October 1, 2009. Is that correct? I have nothing against mutts I think they are fantastic dogs but I also do not think you should be able to register them. How long will it be before that leads to people breeding individual breeds to make their own. I know that already happens with labradoodles and such but I would hate to see it happen in the world of hunting dogs. Such things as GSP-Setter crosses or Pointer-Brittany crosses to make another individual breed would be ridiculous. On the other hand it would be nice to see some new breeds come out that were thought out and planned properly like perhaps a Pointer-Bloodhound-Lab or Chessie-Wirehaired Pointer Cross to get a big running, ground tracking, water retrieving, burr shedding bird hunter that had the coat to stand up to really cold weather. JMO

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:46 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:From the way I read the article that was posted mixed breed owners will be able to start registering and obtaining ID numbers for their dogs as of October 1, 2009.
It's an ID number, not a registration number. Big difference. It's just a number to be assigned to the dog for event record keeping.

Don't forget, to participate in this mixed-breed program the dog must be spayed/neutered.

Most of your questions are directly answered here: https://www.akc.org/pdfs/AKC_MB_Program_FAQ.pdf

FYI,
Dave

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:00 pm

GsPJustin wrote:How could a purebred dog registry have mixed breed events. Ahhh, good old advertising stimuli. Looks like AKC needs a bail-out.
It's all about making money! The AKC is pretty good at it.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:24 pm

Prairie Hunter wrote:
GsPJustin wrote:How could a purebred dog registry have mixed breed events. Ahhh, good old advertising stimuli. Looks like AKC needs a bail-out.
It's all about making money! The AKC is pretty good at it.
Plus they have to compete with the CKC--which has been registering mutts for years :lol: :lol:
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:28 pm

Prairie Hunter wrote: It's all about making money! The AKC is pretty good at it.
How much money do you really think they are going to make? How much money has the AKC already sunk into developing this program; writing rules, setting up registration systems, passing legal review, training staff, etc, etc. This won't generate any new events; only add entries to existing events. So they add 20 entries per event, and make an extra $150. Small potatoes.

If the AKC was truly focused on making money, they'd close the entire performance division and never sanction another hunt test or field trial. Those don't make money, or make enough money to generate a return on expense.The AKC's stock portfolio generated $1.7 million in income, in April '09 ALONE. The idea that the AKC is going to start a mixed-breed program to make money doesn't make any sense; if they really wanted to make more money they'd focus their efforts on bettering their investment return.

The AKC is clear in it's intent with these programs; they spell it out exactly:
AKC’s ability to influence legislation and public opinion is directly related to the total number of dog owners we represent.... Our ongoing meetings with individual lawmakers have taught us of their interest in the size of our constituency and in our future growth
If the AKC truly is ever run like a business, us sporting dog guys are in for a rude awakening, as what we get from the AKC is far greater than what we generate. And when you compare what we get from the AKC compared to NAVHDA or NSTRA or American Field, we need to recognize the steal of a deal we're getting.

JMO,
Dave

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:19 pm

I think at this point in time. With everything changing like it is, or falling may be better suited for description. It would be really hard to say that creating some revenue isn't behind this pitch. The fact that you don't need a purebred dog to get involved in some of the games is a great thing. And in no way am I knocking that fact. However I wouldn't doubt that AKC is having a little trouble with there budget....

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:43 pm

I don't blame them for trying to generate extra revenue and allowing mixed breeds to compete may show some purebred enthusiasts what they are missing out on but I will just stick with the FDSB as I always have.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 pm

GsPJustin wrote:I think at this point in time. With everything changing like it is, or falling may be better suited for description. It would be really hard to say that creating some revenue isn't behind this pitch. The fact that you don't need a purebred dog to get involved in some of the games is a great thing. And in no way am I knocking that fact. However I wouldn't doubt that AKC is having a little trouble with there budget....

Justin, re-read what Dave posted and tell us what you don't understand about spending more for a program than you recieve. And the biggest benefit to them is the more people they can influence and have as active members the more clout they have to help protect us from the crazy legislation that HSUS and others are trying to get passed. You have to look at the facts and not just denegrate an organization because you have some notion that you don't like what they do. AKC is the keeper of the stud books that we all use. Breed clubs set the policies. And club members and owners complain about the way everyone else is doing a job.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 am

I must have missed the part that indicated a mixed breed dog must be spayed or nuetered. That's too bad!

I think that mix breed dogs should be able to compete in competitive events. Are we afraid that they would be better than a purebred dog? What if they are better? That would certainly shake people up wouldn't it. It would change the status quo of things. Why is that a bad thing?
Tom

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:44 am

The sad truth is that we (the dog-owning public) is loosing our battle against the animal rights activists in many states in the country. If the mix-breed registry with AKC helps bring more people "into the fold" and more revenue to fight the crazies, I'm all for it. And I'm betting that this program will help drive pure-bred puppy sales in the future. Some of the people getting into competition with their mixes may decide they'd like to participate in conformation and field events in the future.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jetto

Post by jetto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:21 am

I agree with Karen. At first I wasn't for the mixed-breed program but I've since changed my mind. Carl and I judge at local 4H dog club shows- obedience, rally and junior handling. Many of those kids have shelter dogs/mixes. Some of those same kids are kick butt trainers and handlers! I think allowing kids like that to compete at AKC events with their mixed breed dogs will solidfy them as "dog people" and eventually they will decide on a purebred which keeps our dog sport(s) alive and kicking. And like Karen said- in this day and age we need all the help we can get against the AR's!
As long as they have the spay/neuter requirement I have no problem with the program.
Kristi