just an everyday gun dog

Shadow

just an everyday gun dog

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:16 pm

pup is 15 months old- introduced to wild pheasant last season

JasonW77

Re: just an everyday gun dog

Post by JasonW77 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Nice looking Brittany. I have one also she just turn 1. I can't wait for hunting season to begin. I'm sure it will be a blast watching her having fun finding the birds

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Jason- thanks-

sun was coming up and a quail was walking along the fence-
he's so fired up he runs till he has to come back in and jump in the water

gonehuntin thinks I should OB train him

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:35 pm

That is one nice looking Brittainy. I am not a Brittainy man but all good bird dogs are beautiful. 8)
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

blunior

Post by blunior » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Good looking Dog
My brother's grappling coach raised Britts
Terry

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 pm

great lookin' pup Shadow. My just turned 4 mos last week and I can't wait to get him on wild birds.

btw -- hows the nesting season out your way? aren't you out by hugoton? i've went there opening weekend last 2 yrs

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:03 am

thanks for the nice words- he's a pretty good boy- lives in the house- comes and checks on me as I get in bed- doesn't chew things or mess the house-
course I've always liked mine behaving

I brought down 6 quail when I moved- let two loose- one with a very small piece of bowstring on the neck- him and wild ones come visiting every day- think there's 4 families close

hen pheasant came in with 6 young- couple roosters hang arround- mile field with cut wheat and corn coming up- all sorts of birds- jack rabbits too-

pup really gets going out there- no water except for my yard bucket- he comes back hot and plops in- sheese- you'd think he'd take it easy

I hunted him with my female most every weekend last season- Hays and then over here- good country arround here- last year they were saying lots of pheasants- they were exagerating a bit- saying the same now- I don't feel there's lots- but they're arround- think the nesting season is going well- very litle rain to hurt the hatch- feel this season is going to be pretty good

not to far from Hugoton southernblues- what did you think of last year over here- quail/pheasants- and these pesky rabbits

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:15 am

blunior wrote:Good looking Dog
My brother's grappling coach raised Britts
Terry
grappling - now that's something I haven''t heard in awhile- you say used to or still does

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:08 am

Nice lookin' doggy. My Britt is 22 months right now and likewise a great dog in the house. We have gotten to where we leave here alone in the house, even if we are gone several hours, whereas until a few months ago we crated her. So far no accidents or destruction and the cat is still alive.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am

nice pedigree you've got there- would say your's has wheels
chuckling- got a cat also- she's declawed, they play- she swatts his face- he closes his eyes- thinking about that- could be a problem if he comes across one some place

tennis balls- man does he like to retrieve them- I started him young with my other two-

jetto

Post by jetto » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:55 am

Nice looking pup Shadow!

I envy you the wild birds....We have 26 quail in the brooder right now and 55 more due to hatch next week.....gotta play the game however we can I guess but we'd rather have wild birds! Kristi

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:22 pm

thanks- darn fine looking Britt you have-

shorter nose and his color reminds me of my first Britt

been in Kansas since 72, awfull good bobwhite in the east for years- sadly something happened- ice storms and turkeys maybe
started hunting out west after pheasants couple years ago- we run into some quail- sort of feel guilty about shooting them

I've realeased a couple- thinking about getting some chicks, raising and releasing- might be the place- big farm and the land is posted

not one thing wrong with hunting released if you ask me- quite fun to work Britt's in them

do you trial that male- NSTRA maybe

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks! We field trial at AKC trials. He finished his AFC this past spring and just needs that Brittany open major to finish his dual. He's a fun dog and of course the apple of my eye. We used to hunt quite a bit on the state grounds around here since they release pheasants but that got dangerous with all the people out there. Not safe for us and definitely not safe for the dogs since most of them didn't use dogs to hunt with so had no clue. Kristi

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:40 am

Jet- just an everyday gun dog- yeh uh huh :)

picture is a little deceiving- visited your web- nice by the way- course Jet's in the Brittany book-
yeh- I'd say Jet's everything you could ask for- like to know when he makes his DC

I'd imagine Jet would do fine arround here-

my fella is out of Shambo and Star

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:50 am

Shadow wrote:
not to far from Hugoton southernblues- what did you think of last year over here- quail/pheasants- and these pesky rabbits

Went opening weekend - hotter than donut grease. No quail, some pheasants, lots of rabbits and some rattlers. We were due for a skunked year based on the year before when it was great. Just too warm/dry and crops weren't even close to coming out. Being from KC and I got new pup I'll prob not go this year and stay closer. The party I go with is about 12 guys and they've got 8-10 humdinger GSP's--not ideal for taking my pup out first time hunting I suppose.

We hunt on the seed company ground west of town. They have a hunt lease program and we've done well most every year (my group has been going out last 4 yrs).

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 pm

first line cracked me up :lol: :lol: :lol:

10 to 12 guys- yikes- I'm a bit partial- been shot twice
old time motorcross youngerster knows quite a few down here- I thought he knew about pointing dogs- it was a mess- he brought along a road hunter rabbit shooter once- besides that- moved way to fast- used to walking a field in a line- not my style

think you're correct- take your youngster out by yourself- now if you happened to be arround here 2nd 3rd weekend-

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:21 pm

Aw c'mon now Shadow.....I highly doubt your boy is "just an everyday gun dog"..... Looks like a pretty sharp youngster to me, with a whole lot of good stuff behind him!! :D

Streenie

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm

I'd say Jet's everything you could ask for

>>Lol Shadow! I love Jet but then again I'm a bit biased....And yes I enjoy seeing him in the magazine. That whole ego thing...We have faster dogs, we have edgier dogs, we have dogs that are a whole lot more "field" bred than he is...However we have no dog that has as much style or class on his birds or handles as kindly. The pro who had him told me he was a one in a million dog and I appreciated him saying that at the time but had no clue what he really meant. NOW 3 years later I understand exactly what he was saying! He's been the perfect dog to start this game with. We hunted with other Brits but he's what got us into the field trial thing.

We just did a breeding to a daughter of DC/AFC Lobo's Rocket Man x Ch Julry's Platinum Plus. I am really looking forward to seeing what they produce together. She's a running machine but hard-headed so we're hoping his biddability comes through.

And your dog is bred quite nicely! Kristi

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:43 am

well hello there Streenie- we need a picture of your just an everyday gun dog-

lets see now- you're pretty proud too right-

Shadow's everyday wired up- keeping him out of the fields right now- but he's ansy- stands on top of the quail cage-
surprised me yesterday evening- he was at attention- hen pheasant and three young were 90' out under this bush- young were 1/2 as big as the hen- wonder if pheasants have a second hatch and why only three with her- rooster has been sticking arround- not sure if it's his hen- or just hanging arround- plenty of food, they recently cut the wheat and left 15' along the yard edge

Shadow could clear the fence easily- nice that he's never tried

yeh- he's what I wanted- a bit too loving and always wants to be close- untill he gets out of the yard- but then again- he's handling nicely- thinking about teaching him about a whistle- Candy plain ignores the whistle- so it might be the way to turn him

really have had my work cut out for me- this place was a junk sight- starting to come arround nicely