Let's see your Homemade Dog Boxes!!!!!

petrey10

Let's see your Homemade Dog Boxes!!!!!

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:47 am

Well I am getting some ideas to build my next dog box and was hoping you guys could post some pictures of the good ones you have seen. Any ideas, do's, and don'ts let me know cause I am thinking about really going all out on this dog box to make it last a long time. Mine will be a 2 dog box for an EP but would like to mkae it roomy enough for my buddies 115# lab. It will be going into the truck bed of a 07 Tundra and I would liek to be able to see somewhat out of my rear view mirror (one reason I am rebuilding). I would like to see what ideas guys have for storage and possibly a water tank that would not freeze(maybe some type of heater that can be plugged into the trailer light thing-a-ma jig). Best places for venting? I am thinking about using 1/2'' ply maybe 3/4'' for the floor.

BRING ON THE PICS AND IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Shadow

Re: Let's see your Homemade Dog Boxes!!!!!

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:58 am

this is the 4th I've made over the years- measured the size to fit in- just high enough so I can see out the back window
1/4 plywood, treated screws and brass hindges, 1x1 reinforcement at all corners, top is removable, partition is removable- varnish all but the inside

if I open the back tail gate the Britt's are paying attention-

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:14 pm

very nice.. anything you wished you had that you don't? I see you had a station wagon so I imagine your storage will stay dry either way..

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:20 pm

How heavy is the wood box?? Can it be removed by one person? I am wanting to make a box for my two Vizslas and the new Wirehair Vizsla and have thought about a similar plan but am wondering how heavy it would be. Would it be better to try and make it out of aluminum?

Jeff

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 pm

How heavy is the wood box?? Can it be removed by one person? I am wanting to make a box for my two Vizslas and the new Wirehair Vizsla and have thought about a similar plan but am wondering how heavy it would be. Would it be better to try and make it out of aluminum?
I've been down this road a few times before breaking down and buying an aluminum box...actually my wife bought it for me :P :D ...details, details. Anyway, I've made a few big enough for a couple of Medium sized dogs..i.e.: pointers, setters, shorthairs...with dividers etc. and I'll offer this; if you make it out of 1/4 inch plywood it will make it substantially lighter, but it will make it more susceptible to warping if it's hauled in a truck bed and exposed to the elements (covering it in coil stock is a good idea someone posted on another thread). A bored or unruly dog can also chew threw 1/4 inch plywood a little easier than thicker stuff. If you built it out of 1/2-3/4 it will make it heavy enough that it will be difficult to take it in and out by yourself (for that matter my two hole aluminum with top storage is very cumbersome to get in and out for one person). If you've got the money and the skills i would go with the aluminum if you need to move it by yourself.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:55 pm

hpvizslas wrote:How heavy is the wood box?? Can it be removed by one person? I am wanting to make a box for my two Vizslas and the new Wirehair Vizsla and have thought about a similar plan but am wondering how heavy it would be. Would it be better to try and make it out of aluminum?

Jeff
I'm not all that big- I can easily lift it out and put it back in- besides- sometimes I sleep in that wagon and set it on the ground
mine don't chew- maybe if I left one in while taking the other hunting :) both my Britt's and the two pups are comfortable in it
and scince I used screws and no nails easy to make a new piece if they should chew-

I made it out of exterior plywood 2 years ago- can wash the inside- very cheap to make

suppose if I had chewers I'd just go buy some cheap aluminum and line the inside

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:05 pm

petrey10 wrote:very nice.. anything you wished you had that you don't? I see you had a station wagon so I imagine your storage will stay dry either way..
thanks- had a 1981 F150 4X4 that I made almost the same- except when it was all done I cut it in half- added two sides- the top rested even with the bed-
and I could load up my 4 bird dogs- i painted that one to match the brown truck- when only taking two dogs I'd only use 1/2- and the nice thing about something like this is you can set it and leave it in the yard- dogs got used to sleeping in and watching- they liked it and like this one- when I load it they know there going somewhere

one thing I always do- build it then cut out the doors- nice fit- thought about adding sliding wood to close up the air holes- but if in the snow or rain I just lay a piece of rubber over it- Britt's seem to like the extra big holes

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Mine's a little extreme compared to what your looking for but I got's lots of dogs.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm

what about a plastic like material i think its like polypropalene or some like that. Would that be more durable and lighter? How expensive would that be?

Anybody installed water tanks or fans in their homemade boxes?

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:25 pm

You might think i'm joking, but there have been a few guys in my area make a "box" by conecting two plastic drums (35 or 50 gal) with the doors cut in the round end.. They are extremely light and when vented should be comfortable. I looked into the plastic sheets (i think they were solid pvc material) and it was fairly pricey if i recall.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:33 pm

I've been in Kansas for over 30 years- never seen a need for fans or water inside- my Britt's don't seem to mind cold or warm- what are you worried about

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:35 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:You might think i'm joking, but there have been a few guys in my area make a "box" by conecting two plastic drums (35 or 50 gal) with the doors cut in the round end.. They are extremely light and when vented should be comfortable. I looked into the plastic sheets (i think they were solid pvc material) and it was fairly pricey if i recall.
I don't think you are- I knew a guy that had 14 some dogs and he had those for his kennel dog houses

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Shadow wrote:
postoakshorthairs wrote:You might think i'm joking, but there have been a few guys in my area make a "box" by conecting two plastic drums (35 or 50 gal) with the doors cut in the round end.. They are extremely light and when vented should be comfortable. I looked into the plastic sheets (i think they were solid pvc material) and it was fairly pricey if i recall.
I don't think you are- I knew a guy that had 14 some dogs and he had those for his kennel dog houses

Thats exactly what I use for all my dog houses. Cheap, and durable.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:57 pm

ok well then I will scratch the water and fans...

What about storage any good layouts that you guys recommend?

What are the inside sizes of your boxes for each dog? i got an EP and don't know what to go with I want him to be comfortable

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:02 pm

easy to make the top of the box so you have a place to store stuff- hinges

how much room do you want your dog to have- I like mine to get in and lay down- it's not a play area- it's a resting and traveling place

hey- you can put fans and water containers in- I've seen some- just haven't found the need-

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm

I mean top storage as in ways to configure the inside area to fit guns and ammo leashes... so that way you do have a jumbled mess but maybe an ''open floor'' plan is best

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Here's mine. I built it a couple of months ago. I know its not a pick-up setup but I figured I would show you. It's in a Jeep Cherokee. I still have to put down rubber as flooring. I picked up a rubber SVU cargo area floor mat from Walmart that I will lay down.

Middle divider can be removed.

Most of the materials were laying around the garage. I think the only thing I bought was the latches, though I need to replace them because they rattle like crazy :evil:

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 pm

very nice I like your door setup better than having to cut out holes... only thing is it might not keep in straw/ other bedding

I like the divider

I think I have the dimensions for the inside of the box I am goign to make it 25'' high and the whole box will be 60'' wide and 23'' deep making two 30''x23'' boxes. Do you guys think this is enough space?

What kind of dimensions do you lab guys have??

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:23 pm

me and my father in law built this trailer in a couple of weeks working on it a couple hours each day it was easy to build and i made them 2x2x4 its made to fit pointers and short hairs in it but i bet i could put a lab in it with no problem and i left the last 2x4 feet for storage and i made a place for dog food and launchers and my other training stuff that i have.

and plus i have this dog box as well that i broke down and bought but after looking at it. it would have been easy to build but i am getting ready to sell it to get a three hole dog box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kick'em up knock'em down

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 am

love the first metal one... trailer is nice but I don't have that many dogs yet

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:23 am

GSPVIZ- I like it

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:38 am

i only have three dogs but i run dogs with other people so built it with that in mind i havent even used it yet because of the tounge i need to get it replaced so i can get rid of it and i am trying to get rid of my metal dog box so i can get a 3 hole one
kick'em up knock'em down

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:41 am

can you post some more pics of the metal box? How hard was it to make? What is it made of and where did you get the metal?

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:44 am

I think he bought the metal box and built the trailer.

But to me it looks like aluminum that is riveted together.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:01 am

I have seen several boxes from here. They look pretty good for the price. You order kits and assemble them yourself.

http://www.rosemetalproducts.com/PortADog.html

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:11 am

i built the trailer and i had the metal box custom made for me but from the looks of it. it would be easy to make and gspviz is right it is just riveted with aircraft aluminum .
kick'em up knock'em down