Freezing Point is Here!

rockllews

Freezing Point is Here!

Post by rockllews » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Just curious what you do for water in your kennels in the winter. Heated buckets, like us, or a diehard water haulers? (Or just lucky with indoor/outdoor kennels, water installed inside :) ?) For those that fall in the lattermost group, do you use the Nelson dog auto-waterers or another brand? I wonder if a horse stall waterer be a cheaper way to go....

tn red

Re: Freezing Point is Here!

Post by tn red » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:52 pm

i have indoor / outdoor but just a frost proof had not thought about automatic horse waterer good ideal

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:52 pm

A caution with automatic horse waterers is they sometimes fail so you must still check them each day.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:45 am

we have the little giant auto waters in the barn about 35 of them they do real well

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:06 pm

We haul it from the house :) Running a hose from the house to the kennel deck. Tis a PITA to roll the hose very night though.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:43 pm

If you roll up the hose every night to drain it/keep it from freezing, Valley Vet (and probably others) sell both heated hoses and heated hose bags (that keep regular hoses from freezing). I guess you'd still have to roll daily to get the hose in the latter bag product... but not necessarily with the heated hose! (GFI required....)

windswept

Post by windswept » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Now I have a heating building so I just keep water on the inside part of the runs but here is what I used to do.

I took a 5 gallon bucket and put a horse tank heater that I bought at a home and farm store in it. Drill a hole about 2/3 the way up the side of the bucket to feed the power cord through. Put about 2 gallons of water in the bucket. Now I put another 5 gallon bucket inside the bucket with the heater and filled the top bucket up with water. Make sure you put enough water in the bottom bucket that it overflows or spills out the hole in the side a little when the top bucket is put in it. I then chained the bottom bucket to a corner of the kennel with the power cord fed through the chainlink. This kept the dog from getting at the power cord to chew it. Basically this setup heated the water in the bottom bucket, which in turn heated the water in the top bucket. this worked well enough to keep the water open all winter long in South Dakota.