Heater in a portable dog box

airmedic1

Heater in a portable dog box

Post by airmedic1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 pm

I have two GSP and a Welshie that are house dogs and hunters. I carry them in a Houndsman Deluxe box in the back of my pickup and have a remote thermometer in the box with them to tell how hot or cold it is in there. Since they are house dogs and don't have a heavy coat I'm a little concerned when they have to stay in the box overnight when we hunt somewhere we can't bring them inside. Early in the season it's not a concern but it's -11F wind chill with a balmy 3F tonight and I worry about them. :cry: :cry:
Has anyone put a 12 volt heater in a box with satifactory results? If so, what kind and how did you wire it? What was the current draw? I don't want to end up with a dead battery the next morning!! :oops:
thanks
Of all the places I've been, this is one of them!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Heater in a portable dog box

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 am

put some bedding in there like some straw or alfalfa they radiate heat pretty well so if they are in a box that will do fine specially if the box is insulated
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tubbyt2

Post by tubbyt2 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I am looking for the same thing, only something to heat the enclosed bed of my truck...I have a 10yr old lab and a pup coming home in a couple weeks. Not dumb enough to leave the pup in the truck overnight, but it's 8 degrees in SD tonight and I am improvising by running an extension cord out to the truck and using a small electric space heater for the back of the truck. I run the cord under the back tailgate and close the tailgate...I crack the side window just a touch for ventilation, but I have to believe someone makes a system to heat (or cool) a dog box or pick-up bed???

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:59 pm

My dogs stayed in unheated boxes when it was 30 degrees below zero but were bedded well. Get them out of the wind in a dry bed and they will make out pretty well. I would be afraid to try and heat them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Power cords where dogs can access them are a bad idea.

Having the dog in a smaller space is far preferable to a large one. (put them in a kennel box in the back of the truck canopy)

A dog in good health with lots of straw bedding out of the wind in an insulated box will be toasty warm at temps we would shiver just thinking about.
Last edited by slistoe on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:21 am

In our fifth wheeler we have 12 plus dogs in the back cargo area in crates with some newspaper..there is no heater back there but you would be amazed at how warm it gets with all the dogs in there ,,,it actually gets warmer then the living quarters where we have the heater running and yes that is even when the temps drop to 10 degrees out side
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:26 am

I agree, last year went up to SD Dec. 17th-21st and it was -31 degree wind chill. the first night I was couldn't even sleep because I was so worried about my dog freezing to death about 2:00am I got up and went out to check him, he was nice a toasty in my old 3/4" plywood dog box. It did help that half the box was covered by my pickup topper so only the top 4" stick above the bed box. His water bowl never froze up so I know he was keeping it good.
Years ago with my first dog I bought a heat lamp and put that in his kennel, all he did was stand out in front of his kennel and bark at it all night, took it out the next day and he was good to go with just straw.

tori

Post by tori » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:29 am

the mud river kennel insulator has worked very well for me. when i open the flap to let them out i caan feel the heat roll out of the kennel