OL Roy high performance

Two Bears

OL Roy high performance

Post by Two Bears » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:05 pm

I saw Ol Roy has a high performance now and has 27% protien and 15% fat. Meat and bone meal is the main ingredient then The rest is filler like corn and such but how is this food?
Anyone used it?
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

big steve46

Re: OL Roy high performance

Post by big steve46 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Many, many years ago, I used to use it. I switched to Diamond Premium, and it lasted 50% longer per 50 pound bag, and is better quality. I use either Loyall or Hunters Edge now. There are a lot of good quality feeds that are affordable. WalMart is the worst place to buy dog food. A local feed store is best, and their prices may even be better. Would you want to ask a WalMart employee advice on dog food?
big steve

kumate

Post by kumate » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:51 pm

I feed it to my 2 outside apbt's and feed abady and raw to my gsp The only reason i feed it is price it is pure junk imho. The high percentage of corn = poop everywhere

Jerry

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Thats what I thought but had to see if might be different than their other types of dog food.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Two Bears wrote:I saw Ol Roy has a high performance now and has 27% protien and 15% fat. Meat and bone meal is the main ingredient then the rest is filler like corn and such but how is this food?
Anyone used it?

Wonder why they put that "filler" in those bags and pay all of that extra shipping costs? Truth is there is no filler in any dog food bag. Every ingredient is there for a purpose and the food wouldn't be good without it. What you just said is the meat and bone meal is the only ingredient that the feed needs and I think you might have trouble justifying that.

I don't want a feed without corn but I will admit there are some that are still good. Most are more expensive though since corn is the best carb source there is and it also provides a reasonable amount of fat and protein. Pretty darn good deal considering it is still cheaper as well as better.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:43 pm

I tried Ol Roy years ago and won't ever use it again.

As for the corn issue, I did a quick search that I thought Ezzy would like. :wink:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... ngredients

"Corn Gluten
I have not been able to locate an official definition of this product, but since it is contained in only one formulation of one manufacturer (Excel Chunks/Mini Chunks), I assume it is the same as "Corn Gluten Meal".

An inexpensive by-product of human food processing which offers very little nutritional value and serves mainly to bind food together. It is not a harmful ingredient but should be avoided simply for its poor nutritional value and quality."

And

"Corn Bran
AAFCO: The outer coating of the corn kernel.

An inexpensive source of fiber that serves as a filler ingredient to add bulk to poor quality pet food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corn Cellulose
AAFCO: A product obtained from the cell walls of corn.

Obtained by use of a chemical process, it is used to add bulk and consistency to cheap pet foods and has no nutritional value"

and

"Corn Germ Meal
AAFCO: Ground corn germ which consists of corn germ with other parts of the corn kernel from which part of the oil has been removed and is obtained from either a wet or dry milling manufacturing process of corn meal, corn grits, hominy feed, or other corn products.

An inexpensive by-product of human food processing, rich in protein but sadly often used as a booster in poor quality foods. It is not a harmful ingredient but should not rank high in the ingredient list of a quality product.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corn Gluten Meal
AAFCO: The dried residue from corn after the removal of the larger part of the starch and germ, and the separation of the bran by the process employed in the wet milling manufacture of corn starch or syrup, or by enzymatic treatment of the endosperm.

An inexpensive by-product of human food processing which contains some protein but serves mainly to bind food together. It is not a harmful ingredient but should not rank high in the ingredient list of a quality product."

and finally,

"Corn Syrup
A syrup prepared from cornstarch, used in industry and in numerous food products as a sweetener.

Sugar or sweetener is an absolutely unnecessary ingredient in pet foods, added to make the product more attractive. Continuous intake can promote hypoglycemia, obesity, nervousness, cataracts, tooth decay, arthritis and allergies. Pets also get addicted to foods that contain sugars, so it can be a tough piece of work to make them eat something healthier."

Enjoy :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:57 pm

The local dog shelter cringes when good meaning people donate ole roy and even worse ole yeller dogs food

it is made from the cheapest stuff they can get so they can make it at walmarts dictated price they will pay,
I wouldn't feed that stuff to a coyote
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.