Polaris Ranger Dog Box

kylenicholas02

Polaris Ranger Dog Box

Post by kylenicholas02 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 pm

I just ordered my new ranger and am going to get a box built specifically for it. Any ideas? I would like a 3 hole, with some storage room for training equipment including... Launchers, cages, check cords, collars, guns, backing dog ect... any ideas how I can set this up? Pics Appreciated....
KN

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: Polaris Ranger Dog Box

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Kyle...type in "Polaris Ranger Dog Box" in your Google search engine. There are a LOT of links and if you click on "Images" there are quite a few pictures that may help you as well.

bossman

Post by bossman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Check the Jones Trailer site. They built a 4 hole box with storage and a bench seat for me. If I can figure out how..will post a picture later. We love it !!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Kyle, what did you order? 500,700,800? I have a 06 500. I just have a heritage box in mine. Those rangers will go just about anywhere!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:27 pm

I have a '98 K-Mule that I paid $100 for a used rear facing golf cart seat, welded a frame so that two Varicrates will slide under it.

Don't misunderstand, I would love to have a $2,000 custom box, but for less than $150.00 I can haul 4 dogs and 4 people.

I also built a 6" PVC sewer pipe bolted to the front to carry 8 gallons of water.

It is not that I am cheap, it is just I can spend the money I save on more hunting trips,

Neil

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:27 pm

I currently have a 500, I got the Browning 800, heated cab, dah dah dah... My soon-to-be-fiancee (LOL) got tired of riding in the cold and listening to me, so it was a early xmas gift... And I understand the deal with the cheap fixes, but I trial almost every weekend, and train 4-5 days a week. This is my life, I work all day so I can play like I want... :)
KN

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 pm

kylenicholas02 wrote:I currently have a 500, I got the Browning 800, heated cab, dah dah dah... My soon-to-be-fiancee (LOL) got tired of riding in the cold and listening to me, so it was a early xmas gift... And I understand the deal with the cheap fixes, but I trial almost every weekend, and train 4-5 days a week. This is my life, I work all day so I can play like I want... :)
You better get all the toys you can before you have kids. I dont blame you one bit. Post some pics when you get it in.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:20 pm

You better get all the toys you can before you have kids
AMEN!!!! :D Reminds me of that Harley commercial where the guy tells the guy he was going to get a harley but he had to buy a dinette set....dude wasn't kidding! My new Ranger money was spent on a set of braces, kids first car, a broken leg and an old golf cart :( but i wouldn't trade it.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:23 am

I ended up buying the 700cc Arctic Cat Prowler with a Flat Bed. I am not limited to a width of box I can use. I can strap (3) 600 series varikennels side X side across the back and 2 high to haul 6 dogs if I need to. It also works for hauling fence posts etc.
It was a tough choice between the Ranger and the Prowler but in the end the sportier ride and the flat bed won out over the bench seat.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I have a friend who built his own, and the only suggestion he would probably make would be watch the weight - suspension issues and tire rubbing are a possibility.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Scott Linden wrote:I have a friend who built his own, and the only suggestion he would probably make would be watch the weight - suspension issues and tire rubbing are a possibility.

Tires rubbing on a ranger? that must have been a HUGE dog box. I can see maybe having too much weight in the bed where the front wheels are wanting to come off the ground. Now that CAN happen. I know first hand. Get those pics coming Kyle.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 am

My K-Mule has been from ND to TX to MS to WI, and all the states in between, It just got back from the Brittany National Championship, I have no idea the hours I have put on the clock, it broke in 2000. I keep 8 dogs conditioned with it and am a full time hunter/trialer. It has hauled a truck load of birds and a few champion bird dogs, I don't consider it a cheap fix, but a reasonable answer.

Lord knows the economy can use your infusion of cash, so spend freely, I was just trying to help,

Neil

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:25 am

Neil..Can you post a picture on how you have it set up for roading ???...Thanks

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:45 pm

My current ranger has a 5' welded 2" tube across the front with two detachable 5' pieces that sleeve inside and I pin. In total it makes the rig like 13-14' wide, but I have roaded as many as 6 dogs at a time... besides the girlfriend can set in between me and the cooler....
KN

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:46 pm

By the way, it was love at first sight when she got out of the SUV with a chocolate lab... and didnt mind my jumping pointers
KN

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 pm

I never can do the photos, but I have heavy gauge steel square tubing, one piece is bolted, welded to the front on the bottom of the roll cage, then the 3' section slides inside it with a locking pen. The other is welded to the front of the bed. I only road on the right side, as having in both sides made it way too wide. I can road 4 at a time, and there is no fear of them getting under the tires.

BTW, the PVC water tube is strapped in between the bottom of the roll cage. I found the scrape sewer pipe, bought two end caps, and two plastic faucets (one at the bottom of one end, the other at the top of the other), then put two female hose ends on 18" scrap water hose. You hook a garden hose to the hose, open them both and it fills quickly. Holds about 8 gallons, cost $20.00 and it is not in the way.

Neil